Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Man From UNCLE movie

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I would not recommend sparring with Bruce Lee no matter what rank.

:eek:fftopic: When I was a kid just out of the service I missed a chance to spar with Bill Wallace, a celebrity karateka
on the tournament circuit and pal of Chuck Norris. Wallace dropped by the Chicago dojo one night when I wasn't there.
A buddy of mine sparred with him and got his ass kicked. Which would have happened to me. But Wallace had a bad leg
from military service, and, unlike Lee, was tall and devastating with his good leg.
I missed a chance to get in the ring with Wallace to my lasting regret.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
New trailer released this week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4E9TyrOFlQ

This one emphasizes the action sequences more than the first one did. And I am not sure I like the concept of Illya (even given that he's supposed to dislike, even hate, Solo at this point) calling the American "Cowboy." It makes sense, given Solo is an American, and a Russian might very well use the phrase. Sean Connery's sub captain in "Hunt for Red October" referred to some American as a "buckaroo." But it sounds . . . odd. David's Illya would never have said such a thing to an American, let alone Solo.*

But Hammer's Illya is supposed to be quite different, so . . .

At least we get Hugh Grant, as Waverly, telling us their code name is to be "Uncle"!

* (Illya might have murmured to Solo about an antagonist, "This man thinks he is one of your Wild West cowboys." To which Solo could have returned, "Then we'll rope and throw and brand him!")

alexeberlin

New in Town
Apologies. I started a thread on this film, without noticing that there was one. I was initially unsure about some of the decisions taking in the film, but the chemistry between the cast is so good, that I can see it working. I am looking forward to seeing it though.

Stand By

One Too Many
Wow, that looks like a winner to me! It's got all the right elements and chemistry from what I can see … Looking forward to that.
Thanks for posting!

alexeberlin

New in Town
I have contacted Timothy Everest and made an appointment for the end of August. Time to upgrade my wardrobe.
Someone told me that the "UNCLE cut suit" will be available as a Special Edition from Timothy Everest, bit I have been unable to confirm this so far.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Alexeberlin, I've downloaded that Comic-Con trailer to watch later. I started it, and then after a minute realized it was showing me too much -- as though they tried to compress the important moments of the entire film into 5 minutes. I just didn't want to see too much. Thanks for posting it for those who don't mind.

Yesterday ABCFamily ran the first TV spot I've seen for the movie. About time!

I dunno about the women's clothing in the film, though the shots I've seen look classy and elegant. But the glen plaid suit Cavill wears as Solo hearkens back to the gray glen plaid Vaughn wore in many episodes; and Cavill has even added a pinky ring like the one Vaughn wore. Cavill has said in interviews he's never watched the series -- but that ring, and his vocal style as Solo, both say "Robert Vaughn" all over.

Hammer says he has watched episodes. His Illya has a thicker Russian accent than McCallum's Illya, and the original Illya was hardly ever one to wear a cap. But Hammer and Cavill come across as good agents that the enemy should beware of. And in the first trailer there is a hint of a scene which was probably inspired by one in the episode "The Her Master's Voice Affair"!

So we original U.N.C.L.E. fans have every reason to feel optimistic; and new audiences may love it.

alexeberlin

New in Town
Alexeberlin, I've downloaded that Comic-Con trailer to watch later. I started it, and then after a minute realized it was showing me too much -- as though they tried to compress the important moments of the entire film into 5 minutes. I just didn't want to see too much. Thanks for posting it for those who don't mind.

Yesterday ABCFamily ran the first TV spot I've seen for the movie. About time!

I dunno about the women's clothing in the film, though the shots I've seen look classy and elegant. But the glen plaid suit Cavill wears as Solo hearkens back to the gray glen plaid Vaughn wore in many episodes; and Cavill has even added a pinky ring like the one Vaughn wore. Cavill has said in interviews he's never watched the series -- but that ring, and his vocal style as Solo, both say "Robert Vaughn" all over.

Hammer says he has watched episodes. His Illya has a thicker Russian accent than McCallum's Illya, and the original Illya was hardly ever one to wear a cap. But Hammer and Cavill come across as good agents that the enemy should beware of. And in the first trailer there is a hint of a scene which was probably inspired by one in the episode "The Her Master's Voice Affair"!

So we original U.N.C.L.E. fans have every reason to feel optimistic; and new audiences may love it.

I think there are a few nods in the footage that we've seen. I won't go into details to avoid spoilers but the TV spot is a nod to " the Fiddlesticks affair", there seems to be a nod to "re-collectors" and I think even a wink to the 1983 reunion movie.
Even the ultra chic female lead villain feels like a nod to the old series to me.
The key element for me though is the chemistry between the actors..they are having a blast, and that is important,because the relationship needs to work.
Clothing wise UK shirtmaker Hawes and Curtis apparently is about to launch a "man from UNCLE" inspired range too.

alexeberlin

New in Town
very nice Benzadmiral.

Here is the announcement of hawes and Curtis' UNCLE themed collection

hawescurtisuncle.jpg

and this is the SOLO suit which will available as a special edition from Timothy Everest

timeverestsolo.jpg

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
The Illya style with dark jacket and cap looks good. But the two "Prince of Wales" suits both look like they outfitted the model with one size too small. The style in the early Sixties was more fitted than in the Fifties, sure, and Vaughn and McCallum both wore suits with skinny lapels and somewhat highwater trousers with no cuffs. But they never looked like they were wearing their little brothers' suits, as this guy does.

That said, I'm VERY glad to see the name "Man from U.N.C.L.E." out there. Perhaps Banana Republic will have something like they did for Mad Men.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner