• Welcome to The Fedora Lounge!

The Man in the High Castle

Discussion in 'The Moving Picture' started by MikeKardec, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Woo-hoo, really looking forward to this (from an Amazon email I just got):

Coming soon: The Man in the High Castle season 2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Imagine a world in which the American flag still flies, but a swastika replaces the blue field of stars. We literally can't wait for December 16 when the second season of the Emmy-winning Amazon Original Series The Man in the High Castle arrives.

2. AmateisGal

AmateisGal I'll Lock Up

YES! It's out December 16!!! I can't wait!

3. AmateisGal

AmateisGal I'll Lock Up

For anyone who hasn't watch this yet, I *highly* recommend it. Far better than many shows out there.

Fading Fast likes this.
  4. There are many shows I haven't seen, but of those I have, this one is head and shoulders above the others. Even shows like "The Crown," which I believe are well written and acted, do not approach the quality of writing, directing, acting and period set detail that this one does.

AmateisGal likes this.
  5. AmateisGal

AmateisGal I'll Lock Up

Agreed!!!

6. Watched episode 5 last night. Hmm... Blake's daddy is something else, siccin' that blonde femme fatale on his own son like that. I didn't exactly love the first episode but man has it gotten better since then. Great old iron in this one too, I spotted a Kaiser Darin and a Studebaker Lowey coupe at the house party in Berlin'. Schweeet.....

Worf

AmateisGal likes this.
  7. AmateisGal

AmateisGal I'll Lock Up

Very excited that Amazon has ordered a third season of The Man in the High Castle!

Fading Fast likes this.
  8. MikeKardec

MikeKardec Practically Family

It's an additional plus that this series both gets the chance and TAKES the chance to explore how difficult it would have been for individual Germans and Japanese to have won the war and then have had to look back at both what that cost and who it made them in to. Ballsy writing and beautifully done; no talking "about" it just showing how much it takes out of some people.

There are a lot of questions in our actual history about exactly what "winning" the war would have looked like for the Axis. In both the German and Japanese case there was a sense of getting in to a situation (China/"reasonable" Lebensraum) and then having it ambitiously spinning out of control into a maelstrom of mission creep and hubris. Winning the war and ruling conquered territories and dealing with allied powers (Italy, South America, a possibly independent Indian, Irish and South African Boer Govt,) would have ended up as a HUGE challenge to people morally and ethically regardless how arrogant their governments might have been about it. Both Japan and Germany were suffering from damaged pride prior to the war that allowed them to justify many things ... I assume as soon as they won the damage would begin to seem petty and they'd either have to get over it and examine/excuse their actions or fall into a chaos of self examination. If either were "naturally" the great villain they are often made out to be there STILL wouldn't be room on earth of them. That's no excuse for their behavior but we all have similar horrific capacity (avoiding modern politics note the Soviet Union) and when all is said and done that maybe why we forgive and forget ... certainly an absolute victory then great forgiveness turned those two countries into very positive places. A lesson that was learned compared to the mistakes that were made with both enemy (Germany) and ally (Japan) at the end of the First World War.

AmateisGal likes this.
  9. AmateisGal

AmateisGal I'll Lock Up

10. Thank you for sharing, pretty cool design.

AmateisGal likes this.
  11. AmateisGal

AmateisGal I'll Lock Up

Season Three begins filming in Vancouver May 17 and wraps October 17.

SO EXCITED!