Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Mechanics of Cigar Smoking

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Cigars

So, with encouragement from Jerry and Holly, I bought 2 little vanilla cigars from the very nice tabbaconist in Santa Monica this evening. Anyone want to show me what I'm supposed to do with them this Friday?

~ Queenie.

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Um, gross.

What kind of rough dame bites the ends off her cigars?

Seriously though, yuck! Do please bring your clippers! My tabbaconist is so cute -- he said, "Just don't let your friends tell you to inhale it sweetheart!" So don't even try it, buddy!

~ Queenie.

Chad Sanborn

A-List Customer
Better than a clipper (aka Mafia Manicure) is a punch. These punch out a small circle and leave you with a cleaner end to the cigar. I have one that punches out up to 4 different sized holes depending on the cigar size.

Chad

Mr. 'H'

Call Me a Cab
Chad Sanborn said:
Better than a clipper (aka Mafia Manicure) is a punch. These punch out a small circle and leave you with a cleaner end to the cigar. I have one that punches out up to 4 different sized holes depending on the cigar size.

Chad

Can you please post a picture of it?

MissQueenie

Practically Family
Chad, what a clever idea! I guess cigars have been around long enough for someone to have built a better mousetrap. If there's not a punch around, I will still very gladly accept Jerry's offer to clip mine. I just <i>won't</i> bite the end off!

Rigby Reardon

One of the Regulars
I've resorted to a sharp pencil when nothing else is around, to punch a single hole as well (and always laugh thinking about that one doomed season of Nowhere Man ;) ). It makes a nice rounded edge to the airhole.

J

Rigby Reardon

One of the Regulars
Thanks - can't wait to see it. :D Those are pretty nifty, just never got around to buying one. I guess since my nice double-bladed cutter grew legs, and my Colibri lighter w/ the blade built in is shot, I finally have run out of excuses, right? ;)

Rigby Reardon

One of the Regulars
Believe it or not, one of the COWboys - GraveRobberGreg (don't let the handle scare you, he's a cop, and a big teddy-bear of a man) was not only handing out cigars, but also accessories! Apparently he gets this stuff all the time, so he just brought a bunch out with him. He gave me a nice little keyring-punch, along w/ a Macanudo. (A very decent fellow.)

So, MissQ, next time I've got a punch. It's almost as big as your little Tatianas, though!

HaraldTheSwede

Familiar Face
The problem with a punch of course is you can't use it for a cigar that doesn't have a rather flat head, like a torpedo.

When unable to find one of my cutters I have on a couple of occasions resorted to using my teeth. It actually works pretty well. You just bite gently all around the head until you can lift off the cap.

Rigby Reardon

One of the Regulars
Yup, that's about when I learned how, too. Finally all set...no clip? Oh, heck...ptui!

JP, just please tell me you didn't set the entire rose trellis on fire. ;)

Daniel Riser

A-List Customer
Bet you haven't heard this one before...

I own a Motorola V660. It has a screw-off antenna... yep you guessed it.

It's the perfect size for my favorite cigar (Arturo Fuente 858 Flor Fina) and works pretty darn well, not to mention it conjures up a decent selection of "shocked faces" around me.

But what I really prefer are the German Xikar cutters. I've used that cutter for a year now and I've cut a lot of cigars with it and not once have I had to get it sharpened. Beautiful cutter.

What is most classy to me are cigar scissors. The issue I have with them is they require skilled hands to operate properly (or less coffee in the diet) Xikar makes a beautiful cigar scissor that is to die for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo