Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Miracle of Absinthe

juanrayon

New in Town
Absinthe

I haven't tried but am eager to. I'm in New Orleans, and there's a bar here called Absinthe House, where there are spigots which used to dispense it. The local liquor store has it for about $70 per bottle as I recall.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
The fountains were used to drip cold water into the absinthe.

fountaincopy.jpg

An excerpt from an original Old Absinthe House booklet, produced by Legendre & Co. for the old absinthe house.

To find out accurate info on absinthe go to: http://www.feeverte.net/

There will be quite a bit more absinthe in New Orleans than usual this July at Tales of the Cocktail. http://www.talesofthecocktail.com/2008/index.php ;)

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
What is the proper way to serve absinthe'? I went out to dinner one night and the place served absinthe' but I think the poured a spoonfull of sugar in the glass(no cube) and just poured the water in. Are you ever supposed to burn the sugar?I have seen that in a few movies.

Samantha

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
retrogirl1941 said:
What is the proper way to serve absinthe'? I went out to dinner one night and the place served absinthe' but I think the poured a spoonfull of sugar in the glass(no cube) and just poured the water in. Are you ever supposed to burn the sugar?I have seen that in a few movies.

Samantha

Maybe you're thinking of Heroin.
Absinthe is more expensive.
Don't confuse the two.

B
T

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
Maybe you're thinking of Heroin.
Absinthe is more expensive.
Don't confuse the two.

B
T

I don't think so. In the movie "From Hell" and "Moulin Rouge" they burn the sugar cube and then pour water over it. I know ,I know great refrences:rolleyes: but, thats all I have ever seen about absinthe other than the info posted here.

Samantha

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Burning sugar will ruin a glass of decent absinthe.

Setting fire to sugar cubes originated in Prague, where Czech "absinth" tastes so awful that you can't harm the flavor of their industrial swill.

A good reference place: http://www.oxygenee.com/

Generally most absinthe I've had doesn't really need sugar, but if you prefer it sweeter a little background here:

http://www.oxygenee.com/absinthe-drink/ritual4.html

Shaul-Ike Cohen

One Too Many
retrogirl1941 said:
I have seen that in a few movies.

That alone shold make you think… ;)

Absinthe_1900 is right, as usual - didn't pick his name for nuffn.

Whether you use sugar at all or not, is a matter of personal taste (I don't). If you like it a bit sweeter - perfectly fine. But if you don't, you shouldn't ruin your drink just for the "ritual", in my opinion. Interestingly, though there's no real continuity, modern Czech absinthes are still so ghastly you can't fix them with sugar, burned or not. Swiss absinthes, locally drunk without any sugar, are still decent.

Also, my impression is it loses somewhat if one takes a sweetener tablet. (You can always claim it's laudanum.)

C.K.Farnsworth

One of the Regulars
Great thread!

For Los Angelinos, you can simply visit my friend Max the bartender at the Cicada Club in Downtown LA on any sunday night and he will gladly pour you a traditional absinthe or one of his very own absinthe cocktail inventions. The ceremony of it as well as the controversy makes the experience of drinking it all the more enticing!

Panache

A-List Customer
I had the opportunity to try Absinthe at the St. George distillery in Alameda California this past Sunday.

Here is an article about them and their efforts to produce it from the SF Gate

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/12/05/MNQJTO9FM.DTL

Very strong stuff and very strong flavors (primarily anise). Interesting, but not likely to become my tipple of choice.

DSC06368.jpg

I did enjoy how when poured it was golden and clear and then the ice made it cloudy

DSC06362.jpg

TIMG_2047.jpg

Cheers

Jamie

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
Jamie- Have they started distributing it yet? I checked St. George Spirits' website and it's not listed yet. I'd enjoy trying some American absinthe. Got my first taste about 3 months ago when I found that the local liquor store had started to get a brand, the name escapes me now. But none the less it was quite good!!

Scuffy

One of the Regulars
rumblefish said:
Lucid perhaps? That's what I've been buying

I've been looking for St. George myself.
Their website doesn't mention it at all, right?[huh]

Sadly no. :( But if you hear anything report back!!!! I'll do likewise! ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland