Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Miracle of Absinthe

Hexenmeister

One of the Regulars
At long last and after much searching and waiting, absinthe has broken through the Zion Curtain and found its way to Utah. What does one do to celebrate? Well, buy a bottle, of course.

I was able to find two varieties of true absinthe. One was Le Tourment Vert, the other Lucid Absinthe Supérieure, the poster child of newly legal absinthe. After reading reviews that called Le Tourment Vert, which mentioned a very artificial coloring, weak louche, and minty flavor, I opted for the Lucid, which is described as a great introductory absinthe, and not overpowering. Still, the price tag of $59.99 for 750ml was cause for a bit of sticker shock on my part. It's the most I've ever spent of a bottle of liquor.

I enjoyed my first glass in the traditional manner of absinthe, water and sugar. An amazing liquor it is. It has a nice louche to it and a nice herbal/anise flavor. I saw no fairies, but my tongue did feel a bit numb when I drank it.

I think absinthe will be a new constant of my liquor collection.

Hexenmeister

One of the Regulars
Hexenmeister said:
At long last and after much searching and waiting, absinthe has broken through the Zion Curtain and found its way to Utah. What does one do to celebrate? Well, buy a bottle, of course.

I was able to find two varieties of true absinthe. One was Le Tourment Vert, the other Lucid Absinthe Supérieure, the poster child of newly legal absinthe. After reading reviews that called Le Tourment Vert, which mentioned a very artificial coloring, weak louche, and minty flavor, I opted for the Lucid, which is described as a great introductory absinthe, and not overpowering. Still, the price tag of $59.99 for 750ml was cause for a bit of sticker shock on my part. It's the most I've ever spent of a bottle of liquor.

I enjoyed my first glass in the traditional manner of absinthe, water and sugar. An amazing liquor it is. It has a nice louche to it and a nice herbal/anise flavor. I saw no fairies, but my tongue did feel a bit numb when I drank it.

I think absinthe will be a new constant of my liquor collection.

I've read that. It's supposedly very artificial in nature. I really like my Lucid, even though I'm sure there are better absinthes out there.

Hexenmeister

One of the Regulars
All this absinthe talk reminded me of a Halloween party I went to last year. MY dad's friend, Todd (the guy throwing the party), marched out of the house bursting with pride and giggling over the bottle of "opiate" he had "procured" in Vegas. "Only in Vegas can you get your hands on this stuff," he announced, holding a bottle of Absente (or as he was pronouncing it, ab-sen-'tay, as though it were some sort of libation from Mexico) the well known fake absinthe. He kept mentioning how you couldn't find it in Utah, and how "illegal" it was. I treid to tell him that not only was Absente not an opiate and not illegal, but that you could get it at the liquor store just up the street. However, Todd had been drunk most of the day, so I felt it better to just let him have his fantasy for the night.

The thing that got me was the fact that he started to pass the bottle around the bonfire, and people were drinking it straight from the bottle. Granted, it's not real absinthe, but it's still 110 proof and quite capable of messing you up. This fact was well observed when Mike took a few big chugs from the bottle and was soon unable to stay up in his chair. I think he spent the rest of the party planted safely on the grass. lol

Panache

A-List Customer
Scuffy said:
Jamie- Have they started distributing it yet? I checked St. George Spirits' website and it's not listed yet. I'd enjoy trying some American absinthe. Got my first taste about 3 months ago when I found that the local liquor store had started to get a brand, the name escapes me now. But none the less it was quite good!!

Scuffy,

Sorry for not responding sooner, I didn't see your post until today. It takes up the better part of a day to distill the absinth (something like 18 distillations are needed). So this puts one of their 3 stills out for the production of their vodkas for a full day. being that their "Hanger 1" brand vodka is the mainstay of their business they can't afford to produce a lot of absinth. This is why it is only available at the distillery for now.

The good news is that they are awaiting a new still (from this Austrian company that has been making them since Hector was a pup) and this one will be dedicated to producing absinth. They had the platform already built for it, the base of which was designed to look a bit like the base of the Eiffel tower.

Keep chasing the Green Fairy folks! ;)

Cheers

Jamie

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Panache said:
It takes up the better part of a day to distill the absinth (something like 18 distillations are needed).

Not quite, one distillation is needed to make absinthe.

First one macerates the herbs in alcohol, then the macerate is distilled, then colored. (if one is making a verte)

It does take a number of hours depending on the size of the run.

This might illustrate the process better:

http://www.oxygenee.com/absinthe-distillation.html

MadelienneBlack

One of the Regulars
Hexenmeister said:
I really like my Lucid, even though I'm sure there are better absinthes out there.

When we found out Absinthe was legalized and that you could purchase it in only two stores in Maryland, my boyfriend made a 45 minute trip to buy me a bottle of Lucid to celebrate.

All I have to say is that after louching and drinking a good half of the bottle, I came up with the brilliant idea to put on some good swing music and bake cupcakes. I remember we danced around my living room non-stop for the entire 20 minutes they were in the oven. And afterwards, we danced some more.

Lucid spawned one of the best and most memorable evenings I've ever had. But I'll admit it's a bit of an acquired taste.

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
I went to our ABC liquor store today and picked up Lucid. They had various other varieties(I dont remember the name's). I am very happy with Lucid. I have come to the conclusion that last time I had absinthe it wasnt prepared properly but this time........well lets just say I feel very nice right now(absinthe in hand:D ). Thanks you reviews and such folks!

Samantha

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
001.jpg

Samantha

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Chartreuse is funny stuff, it isn't an absinthe, and sure doesn't taste like absinthe, and is even more of an acquired taste for many than absinthe usually is.
It's definitely something to sip very slow, in small quantities.

Be careful with over indulging in Chartreuse, some report it gives them the worst hangovers ever experienced, while I've not encountered that effect, Personally, I've alway felt like a monkey slept in my mouth the day after indulging in a few glasses of Chartreuse.... Your mileage may vary.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
I usually drink absinthe that is not available to the general public, but the market is expanding, and there will be some very nice brands coming soon like the Pacifique, and the Jade series, and a few others that are in the pipeline.

Try a couple of these:

http://www.leopoldbros.com/Leopold_Bros./Absinthe_Verte.html

http://www.drinkupny.com/La_Clandestine_Absinthe_Superieure_p/s0638.htm

I'd avoid Absente / Grande Absente, Pernod absinthe, Mata Hari, Le Tourment Verte, and Green Moon, these are all a great substitute for drain cleaner.

Some like St. George, but it has a pesto-salad dressing taste that I just can't recommend.

Go to http://www.feeverte.net/forum/index.php?act=idx you can find out what is coming to market, and read the reviews.

retrogirl1941

One Too Many
My friend is bringing "Czech Strong" to my hosue next weekend. I cant find any info on that brand anywhere on the web. Is it a good brand?

PS- I have already discovered Absinte is aweful. The stuff I had didnt louch right or the water was'nt cold enough. Dont know![huh]

Samantha

celtic

A-List Customer
retrogirl1941 said:
My friend is bringing "Czech Strong" to my hosue next weekend. I cant find any info on that brand anywhere on the web. Is it a good brand?
PS- I have already discovered Absinte is aweful. The stuff I had didnt louch right or the water was'nt cold enough. Dont know![huh]

Samantha

no.

generally, any absinthe (or assorted spellings) from the czech republic is industrial cleaner.

i'm sure there are exceptions, but as a general rule, stay far, far away.

oh, and 1900, glad to see you're still kicking!

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
Czech Strong is swill, it's a poorly made product that is about undrinkable.
Don't drink it, just sink it. Anyone who swears by it, doesn't know anything about decent absinthe. lol

There are a couple of Czech producers working on doing a traditional distilled absinthe, but they have a ways to go on the learning curve.
Sadly, most of the Czech producers are still hyping false thujone claims, and alluding that you'll trip if you drink their swill.

Hi Celtic,...Still kicking, I still check in at the Lounge now and then.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland