Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Misfits (1961)

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
Does anyone else love the film "The Misfits", starring Gable and Marilyn Monroe? It was released in 1961 and it is both of their last films--Gable worked himself to death on the film, doing his own, intense stunts at age 59 after years of abusing his body--and Monroe died in 1962 before she could star in another film.

Monroe, as some might know, ADORED Gable while she was growing up. She went so far as to wish that he was actually her father, or that she'd someday marry him. She tried to seduce him during the filming; some say she was successful, others claim she wasn't. She did say she tried harder to seduce him than she did ANY other man. She was his number one fan girl when she was growing up.

It's a dark film, thematically, and cinematography speaking, shot in black in white well into the era of color, but ultimately I think it's Gable's best film--and he thought so too upon viewing a screening of it, at least he felt his acting was his best--and Monroe is at her best here. She always wanted to be taken seriously as an actress, as a performer and professional, and this was her real big first step in that direction. She was tired of just being seen as ditzy, sexy, pretty girl Marilyn. She wanted more, and this film was a promising start at it.

In a lot of ways, it's a film which really bridges the Golden Era with the new era of the 1960s, as Gable was arguably THE cinematic icon of the 1930s and thus the heart of the Golden Era, just as Monroe was arguably THE icon of the (pre-Beatles) 1960s. It's two very different generations and cultures colliding together in one film. This is Gable in 1960; The post War age; the Cold War era; the era of the poetic, irreverent, risque deep, Beatniks, leather wearing and knife wielding Greasers and Rock N' Roll, of moral panics over juvenile deliquency and the beginnings of fears of moral decline in America. Across the pond they call the Atlantic, four British youths were forming a band they named the Beatles and honing their craft. Doo Wop, Soul and R&B dominated the airwaves, replacing the swing of the Big Bands whose music gave sound and spirit to the images and memories of the Golden Era.

The raw, hip thrusting sexuality of Elvis simultaneously enraptured and outraged Americans. The age of stars such as Brando, Dean, Heston and the like had just begun; The seeds of the later, chaotic, dark and divisive 1960s were being laid here in the last year of Ike. The sense of innocence, of decency, and the generally unified national spirit which colored the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s was rapidly fading away, giving way to something utterly different.

Clarke Gable when this film was made was something of a cultural anachronism, an iconic star nearing 60, still donning his famous pencil mustache, playing a worn out, weary and lonely Cowboy; starring alongside a beautiful, sexy, troubled young woman who named Marilyn Monroe. Monroe played a character who was much like herself--at the end of her marriage, restless but lost in spirit. Filming the movie was horrid; Gable got bored during long waits and decided in his boredom to chain smoke and perform his own stunts, which resulted in what would be a fatal heart attack just two days after filming ended; Monroe's marriage collapsed and she had to spend time in rehab centers, stalling filming; She often arrived late to set, upset. Yet out of that turmoil came a beautiful picture.

In the public perception's, Marilyn Monroe represented as much to the late '50s and early 1960s as Clark Gable did to the 1930s and 1940s. She represented what seemed like the future--The space age, a new sensual openness, the glitter and glamor of the Kennedy years, the age of "Camelot"--The gleaming, just beyond the horizon vision of perhaps a new Golden Era. A new age of women; A new era of womanhood. A new era for America--a new vision, just like the 1930s had been.

That vision or dream of a bright, America can do anything future was symbolically shattered by an assassination's bullet in 1963 and by four British youths with long hair landing on America's shores in 1964--Two events which neither Gable nor Monroe, icons of two very different yet in spirit similar eras, lived to see. 1960 was very much removed culturally from 1969; Yet 1960 was not so much removed from 1939.

In a lot of ways, The Misfits is a film which represents the last gasp of the Golden Era cinematically; An icon of the New Deal era and an icon of the short lived dream of the New Frontier coming together for a brief moment. When Gable and Monroe died, so did a large part of the Golden Era and any chance of a new one beginning. And with the death of the Golden Era, a modern, less tasteful, less intellectual, less respectful culture emerged...And we were plunged into the darkness of the Hippie era, a shadow from which we've yet to truly escape.

I recommend this film to any fans of Clark Gable; to any fans of Norma Jeane; to any fans of Montgomery Clift and Eli Wallach, who also co-star in it; to any classic movie fans; and anyone who enjoys great cinema in general. I don't think you'll regret watching it.

vintage_clark_gable.jpg

Last edited:

Heather

Practically Family
I do! I do! Funny you should post this as I had an urge to watch it last week. Never ended up finishing it though...maybe I'll do that today!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I agree with you totally. But let's not forget the other tragic and iconic member of the cast, Monty Clift. And the direction was by John Huston. This and Bus Stop were I think Monroe's greatest work.

Heather

Practically Family
Ooo love Bus Stop! No matter how many times I've watched it, I never grow tired of it! But I digress...also a huge fan of Clift! Such a tortured, brilliant soul.

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I can hardly watch it. Gable was reaching and not grabbing. One of his few bad performances. The rest of the cast was great, Monroe being just barely so.
That being said, it is an excellent, if not perfect example of late 50's - early 60's "Over-Methoding." A style that looked dated faster than Theda Bara.
That That Being Being Said Said, watch it to see the stars come out. :) AND to see the Last Hurrah of a few legends.

LocktownDog

Call Me a Cab
It was filmed a mile down the road from me. Dayton Nevada still holds Misfits events (costumes, parades, etc.). Funny thing is ... we're still having public debates about wild mustang round-ups.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
It's a good film, and an interesting and important one for all the reasons the OP mentioned above, plus others.

I've seen it a two or three times over the years, but I don't LOVE it. I find it too depressing, and not in a good (that is, cathartic) way.

FedoraFan112390

Practically Family
Too be honest, I can't stand to watch him look so old and sickly. He's a shadow of his former self and it breaks my heart. I can't watch Vivien Leigh in The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone for the same reason.
I've seen both movies, but once was enough for me.

Well in Clark's case, it wasn't so much that he was sickly as it was that he went on a crash diet to film The Misfits. He'd gained a bit of weight by the late '50s, he wasn't fat by any means but had filled out, and wanted to be in good shape for The Misfits. If you look at his mid-late 50s films, he looks pretty damn good for a man of his age. It's just losing so much weight so fast changed how he looked.

Look at him here in Teacher's Pet (1958)...He looks just like an older version of Rhett Butler.
0.jpg

It's just the large weight loss went to his face.

"Others have blamed Gable's crash diet before filming [of The Misfits] began [for his death]. The 6'1" (185 cm) Gable weighed about 190 pounds (86.2 kg) at the time of Gone with the Wind, but by his late 50s, he weighed 230 pounds (104.3 kg). To get in shape for The Misfits, he dropped to 195 lbs (88 kg)."

Last edited:

rue

Well in Clark's case, it wasn't so much that he was sickly as it was that he went on a crash diet to film The Misfits. He'd gained a bit of weight by the late '50s, he wasn't fat by any means but had filled out, and wanted to be in good shape for The Misfits. If you look at his mid-late 50s films, he looks pretty damn good for a man of his age. It's just losing so much weight so fast changed how he looked.

Look at him here in Teacher's Pet (1958)...He looks just like an older version of Rhett Butler.
0.jpg

It's just the large weight loss went to his face.

"Others have blamed Gable's crash diet before filming [of The Misfits] began [for his death]. The 6'1" (185 cm) Gable weighed about 190 pounds (86.2 kg) at the time of Gone with the Wind, but by his late 50s, he weighed 230 pounds (104.3 kg). To get in shape for The Misfits, he dropped to 195 lbs (88 kg)."

I know about the weight loss and all that, as I've read a few books on him, but he just didn't seem like himself. At least in Teacher's Pet he still had that undeniable charm. He had been having chest pains previous to The Misfits, so I don't know if that had something to do with the way he was in the movie or not, but something was off.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
As a huge Marilyn fan (I've read over 35 books on her) this is the first time that I have read that she tried to seduce Gable - I don't believe it for a second - she admired him since she was a little girl but seemed to look at him as more of a father figure (apparently he looked like a photo of the man she was told was her biological father). I do get tired reading how many men Marilyn tried to or was successful seducing - honestly if she slept with as many men as she was supposed to I doubt she would have had time to fit a meal in let alone make movies.

I have watched The Misfits many times but don't care for it at all (Marilyn wasn't crazy about it either - her marriage to Miller was disintegrating and she was disappointed in the script - she felt the character of Roslyn was too close to how Miller perhaps saw her which didn't please her in the least). I think her performance shows that she was capable of serious roles and there are some great moments from fellow cast members Thelma Ritter, Monty Clift, Eli Wallach and Clark Cable - however the film is just too heavy going with too many "Method" ponderous performances. It's just too sad in a lot of ways. I don't mind sad movies but there is something relentlessly dark and somehow empty about this particular movie.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
I know about the weight loss and all that, as I've read a few books on him, but he just didn't seem like himself. At least in Teacher's Pet he still had that undeniable charm. He had been having chest pains previous to The Misfits, so I don't know if that had something to do with the way he was in the movie or not, but something was off.

Gable insisted on doing all his own stunts in the movie which was very tough going for him and may contributed to his heart attack. Some people blamed Marilyn's tardiness for Gable's death - I don't think this was the case - although she was going through a terrible time herself at this point, Gable was very, very fond of her. To be honest I don't think any of the cast looked particularly well in this movie - Marilyn in particular looked shattered. I prefer to think of Marilyn and Clark dancing together a few years earlier for the wrap party of The Seven Year Itch - I just love the way he is looking at her:

1361355816_edab43250c.jpg

rue

I was actually mad at Marilyn for a long time when I was young, because I had read that she was the cause of his death, but later learned that Gable's wife at the time spread those rumors. I felt awful that she thought that she had done it. What a burden to live and die with :(

Lincsong

I'll Lock Up
But the whole "darkness" of the movie makes me want to see it over and over again. It's like watching a train wreck, you want to turn your head, but you can't. It's one of the few movies that really makes a person stop and think about their own mortality and limits.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner