Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Misfits (1961)

WH1

Practically Family
Never really cared for this movie, due to the depressing backstory of the stars.

One thing about this time period I find interesting there were a series of films set in the "contemporary west" dealing with the postwar "cowboy". Something of a revision of the traditional view of the cowboy, not so noble, darker. Movies like Red River, The Searchers, Giant, Bad Day At Black Rock, Lonely Are The Brave (one of my favorites), and Hud among others. I think this was an important development because it signaled a reaction to the extreme patriotism/jingoism of the McCarthy era by examining the reality of the iconic American cowboy. It also paved the way for some of the greatest of the westerns, movies such as The Wild Bunch, Sergio Leone/Clint Eastwoods movies, Monte Walsh, Will Penny, The Culpepper Cattle Company, etc.

(Sorry if this is off topic) Red River and The Searchers are movies that fascinate me because the traditional American hero, John Wayne, put himself out there in the first of the truly dark revisionist westerns. He so often gets blasted for being a caricature but in those films he really went out and confronted some of the ugliness of the American western expansion.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
All three of them.... so close to their final curtain call :(

A very gut-wrenching film that is even more sad by the real-life tragedies unfolding amongst the film's stars (Clark Gable's impending fatal heart attack; Monroe's suicide within a year; and Montgomery Clift's ongoing battles with alcoholism, mental instability and addiction to pain-killers)

misfits-the_10.jpg

wahine

Practically Family
Although this isn't my favorite Marilyn film, I must say I was sort of shocked when I watched it with the original sound for the first time after I got the DVD. The dubbing voices sure did a good job, but that horse catching scene, when Marilyn is doing her shouting, screaming monologue - Marilyn's voice just gives me goose-bumps. I can only recommend to any Marilyn fan whose's mother tongue isn't English to watch this or rather listen to this!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner