Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Moustache

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
That is the reason I started waxing mine. One side tended towards horizontal while the other went down. With careful waxing I can approach symmetry.

That's a good tip for larger moustahces, dnjan, but mine is thin.
Photo13-1.jpg

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Thank you Geiamama, Billy, Spitfire, and Flat Foot Floey.

Geiamama, :eek:

FFF, I'm still undecided. I think the handlebar goes better with vintage attire, and it allows me to get my hair cut shorter on the sides, but it's a hard thing to get used to after over a decade.

1961MJS, that's bad?

Cheers,
Nick

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here

1961MJS, that's bad?

Cheers,
Nick

Hi Nick

Not trying to be offensive, while almost certainly being successful, but you'd scare children. It does look good with the beard, AND you look like a nice eccentric with the beard (as opposed to Snidely). If you wear a black suit with that, you won't meet any new people. PERSONALLY, I'd either grown back the beard, or ditch the curl on the stache. Of course, you gotta wear it not me. I apologize if I've been offensive, which is not my intention.

Later

Torpedo

One Too Many
Frankly, I do not see Nick's new look is that much reminescent of Snidely Whiplash; not that people can not do the association, but I fail to see that being so straightforward (this said, as an aside, I wore a pencil moustache for a time, and one acquitance threw the Snidely Whiplash remark on me, too, so you never know).

Is a nice, if extreme, vintage look. No doubt, not for everyone. Eccentric? Surely, as many of the preferences loungers (me included) do have, in different degrees. I think seeing Nick's handlebar moustache as a potential threat to his social relationship, and even a scare factor for children, is a little bit over the top ;).

Torpedo

One Too Many
Widebrim, I do like the pencil 'stache on you. Besides, it could be the smile, but you seem to have the appropriate straighter upper lip that so much favours this particular style, as I see it.

I think the handlebar moustache is fantastic! Eccentricity is a big part of the FL, in my opinion. Many of us are here because we're eccentric, including myself. Do what makes you happy and don't mind people who want nothing to do with you because of it. They aren't people you need around anyways.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
None taken, Mike. Facial hair tends to frighten any children who don't have a close relation with beard or 'tache. (And then there's my son, who's unsettled by men without facial hair!) It tends to be a conversation starter, too, people approach me on the street and ask about it.

I went to the pub for the first time since shaving the beard (actually, the first time in a long while. I don't get out much anymore), and had a couple interesting encounters. One woman who was very nearly three sheets to the wind was very, um, vocally approving of my 'tache. Another man asked if I was wearing a fake moustache. I told him that no, it's attached.

Feraud

Bartender
Widebrim, I do like the pencil 'stache on you. Besides, it could be the smile, but you seem to have the appropriate straighter upper lip that so much favours this particular style, as I see it.
I agree Widebrim carries off the pencil 'stache very well.
The photo posted looks very William Powell.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Here's a couple pictures from yesterday.

DSC05402.jpg

DSC05444.jpg

Well Nick I'd say I rather like the shorn look on you. Something different. Before, with the beard you had sort of a Monty Woolley quality, which isn't a bad thing at all. After all, he was know as "The Beard".
You look now I wouldn't say Snidley Whiplash, but more so some one from the 1910's, like a barber, butcher or strong man. All meant in a good way of course. Keep the stcahe for sure, is is very becoming and I don't think you'll scare children. A boater (skimmer) or bowler would compliment it nicely.

Cheers!

Dan

brylcreem boy

One of the Regulars
Well Nick I'd say I rather like the shorn look on you. Something different. Before, with the beard you had sort of a Monty Woolley quality, which isn't a bad thing at all. After all, he was know as "The Beard".
You look now I wouldn't say Snidley Whiplash, but more so some one from the 1910's, like a barber, butcher or strong man. All meant in a good way of course. Keep the stcahe for sure, is is very becoming and I don't think you'll scare children. A boater (skimmer) or bowler would compliment it nicely.

Cheers!

Dan

You carry that stache off really well, not many people can. it is the perfect compliment to your suit and especially the classy hairstyle- two thumbs up!!

navarre

Vendor
I sport a thinline handlebar and enjoy Firehouse Moustache Wax which can be found on line. I believe it is a beeswax base and doesn't set up too hard. For this reason in the hot weather I sometimes switch to Clubman, but in my area only natural(dries white) can be found which is a bit of a drag.

Last edited:

Nigel

One of the Regulars
I figured I would revive this thread. Opinions welcome please on my 'tache. It's not the best pic but I am looking for the western style. Still in it's early stages. I've had a goatee and 'tache for a couple of years but decided to grow out the 'tache still haven't plucked up the courage to remove the goatee yet:D I've got about an inch either side of the mouth at the moment, just enough to add a bit of wax to if I desire.
Does it suit me? The wife doesn't like it so I considered something a little less "eccentric" keeping the thickness but losing the ends a little like below.
P1061223-1.jpg

Please excuse the serious expression, I hate having photos taken. OK fire away:D
IMAG0073.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy