Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The New Picadilly Cafe to close in September.

Carrie Rouge

New in Town
Edward said:
Like a lot of London. What frustrates me is when the developers move in and exploit an area that becomes hip, in the process ripping out not only its soul, but every last trace of what made it what it was to begin with, so it becomes yet another highstreet full of the same faceless chains you can find anywhere. :(

Where I live in SE London is slowly becoming a faceless, souless street... Property developers have no soul. Soho is beginning to look exactly like any other area of London. Very few people seem to care too. All the markets are closing, pie & mash shops have already gone. Where's next?...

I had my last meal at the New Piccadilly on Friday, was supposed to have lunch there today before I went to work, but due to awful traffic I didn't have time :( But I gave it a good send off, the most beautifully dressed people were eating in there and everyone was jolly; fantastic atmosphere! She will be sorely missed.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
2 Thoughts

Number 1, re: Capitalism. A long time ago in history course I read about the social thinker Henry George. He had very odd but interesting ideas about property values, etc., which I never understood. But his ideas might be germain to the whole topic of land development, if anyone's interested.
Number 2: Preservation: Is anyone planning to buy up the furnishings of this restaurant? How about the sign on the front? About 35 years ago a guy in Cincinnati bought up an entire baseball stadium and rebuilt it in his back yard. Maybe some enterprising individual would like to recreate this place in another location? Or at least recycle the bits. Just a crackpot idea.
But certainly, somebody should at least scarf up the furnishings.

Dominic

One of the Regulars
London is a bit far for me but it certainly looks like a very nice place. Places like that are like a trip back in time. I hate to see such beautiful places being torn down only to be replaced by some ugly, concrete and glass building with no soul.
Still, what dhermann1 said isn't a bad idea. Maybe the restaurant could be relocated with much of it's original equipment somewhere else.

In any case, that story bares a striking ressemblance to what happened to one of our landmarks in Montreal.

FedoraGent

One Too Many
This just kills me...

This just kills me because the last time I was there for business last year...that's where I went. It was a bit of a favourite of mine. RIP Picadilly...

FG.

Ada Veen

Practically Family
I just got an old film developed and there were a couple of photos from the last time we visited the New Piccadilly before it closed on there, so in case anyone is interested:
img012.jpg

img011.jpg

it's a shame it's gone :(

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails