Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The new Upstairs Downstairs

W-D Forties

Practically Family
Did anyone else watch the first episode of the new season of 'Upstairs Downstairs'?

It's really difficult not to compare it with Downton Abbey although they are totally different. I personally felt I could take it or leave it, as although it looks beautiful I really found it hard to care about any of the characters. The look lovely but seem to be made of cardboard.

I found myself obsessively looking for anachronisms too. The glaring one for me was the pavement and street - all covered with a mucky surface obviously hiding modern flags and tarmac. Surely if you are going to spend this much on a series you could mock up some York stone flags and cobbles? The hair, make up and clothes seemed more 1941 than 1937 to my eye, although I'm aware that in this strata of society the very latest fashions would have been worn. But why was the new maid so fashionably dressed too?

Edward

Bartender
Is this a repeat, or a follow on from the one that was on over Christmas a couple of years ago? I'm out of touch with new TV currently. I never did watch the priginal, but the one I saw was quite fun. It dealt with Moseley rather better than the abdication, but a nice series.

Wire9Vintage

A-List Customer
I saw the first episode of the second series and found it to be confusing and plain nonsensical in parts. No Miss Buck? If Jean Marsh could not be unit, they should not bother. Ditto for Eileen Adkins. Weird.

W-D Forties

Practically Family
It's the follow on to the Christmas one the other year. It seems strange to have such a long gap between the 'pilot' and the relaunch.

I think Jean Marsh has been ill which is why she hasn't been involved in this series.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran