Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

It just makes no sense to me. If the brim is blocking your vision, why not just do what this genius did?
a2d7f58d67f1a621da1c015a176a4111.jpg

Perhaps the plastic is to let some filtered light in so you can see your work better.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Perhaps the plastic is to let some filtered light in so you can see your work better.
that's exactly what it is for ... just like the visors you see with the tinted plastic brims

... now there is an invention I never understood ... the visor ... I mean no disrespect to any of you guys who wear them ... but I can't take anyone seriously wearing just a ball cap brim

it almost just seems like part of the tennis lesson starter kit ... they look very silly to me ... sort of the way fingerless gloves do

that's exactly what it is for ... just like the visors you see with the tinted plastic brims...
My first thought was of the visors worn by actors playing accountants and bookkeepers and such in older movies. According to some quick Google research, the green or blue colored visors allegedly helped to minimize eye strain caused by incandescent lights and candles in offices. I suppose the modern version of this would be non-prescription eyeglasses that have a mild green tint to the lenses, ostensibly to minimize eye strain caused by computer screens. At my last place of employment there were a few women who worked in the offices who wore them and said they worked well, so there might be some actual medical validity to it.

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Well, if you've ever been out on a tennis court on a bright and sunny 100d day, you'd know the value of a visor, assuming, of course, that you have a head of hair. Any head covering can be brutal in the sun. Straw fedoras don't work too well on a tennis court. A visor will keep some of the sun out of your eyes, and the open top will prevent your head from baking internally, again, assuming you have hair. If you are follically-challenged, as I am, then you need your head covered in the sun.

These days, I have a white Under Armor cap that breathes through the material. It's my best bet while playing tennis outdoors. My head doesn't burn or bake.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Interesting hats ... sad occasion. Fatal fire that started in an indoor fireworks display in 1955. To this day you cannot buy fireworks in Springfield, Missouri. My grandmother worked at that store after they rebuilt it. My brother worked for Diamond Garage next door as a teen.

36286165702_ee3a3b6b60_o.jpg
Btw, was wondering if the Stetson/Hatco Outlet is near you... ever been?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner