Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

buler

I'll Lock Up
"I want to hold your hand..." (also notice the gloves...)

hold_hand.JPG

viclip

Practically Family
"I want to hold your hand..." (also notice the gloves...)

View attachment 80080
Interesting hat variety.

I wonder what the gent on the right has dangling atop his vest. It looks like a guard chain/cord attached to a pocket watch in his vest pocket. Guard chains/cords were fashionable in the latter half of the 1800s for use by men as well as women, to safeguard the pocket watch from leaving the vest or fob pocket. I've never come across one but have read that they were 60" or more in length, were worn around the neck, & often had a slide (which appears to be the case here).

Thanks for posting this shot, I especially enjoy viewing old photos which combine features of both hats & watches.

Before Harry S. Truman got into politics he was a partner in a haberdashery from 1919 - 1921. It was located in a hotel on the corner where the 4 finest hotels in KC were at that time. All the cattle buyers & sellers would stay there when they came to the stockyards once a wk. Location...location...location.

IMG_2387.jpg

A young Harry Truman on the left.
IMG_2385.jpg

IMG_2386.jpg

Truman's partner, Eddie Jacobson was well connected. Truman met a lot of wealthy people as they came to the stockyards & other places on business. Jacobson & Tom Pendergast would urge Truman to enter local politics.

IMG_2388.jpg

On a side note Jesse Edwards James, son of the outlaw Jesse Woodson James had a cigar stand in the lobby of the Jackson County Courthouse (no known pics exist). There he would met wealthy & otherwise influential men including the sons of some of his father's former enemies, who would eventually urge him to go to law school & become a lawyer. An effort was even made to form a movie production company to capitalize off his deceased father's notoriety. A total of 3 movies were made, all dismal failures. Location...location...location.

Before Harry S. Truman got into politics he was a partner in a haberdashery from 1919 - 1921. It was located in a hotel on the corner where the 4 finest hotels in KC were at that time. All the cattle buyers & sellers would stay there when they came to the stockyards once a wk. Location...location...location.

IMG_2387.jpg

A young Harry Truman on the left.
IMG_2385.jpg

IMG_2386.jpg

Truman's partner, Eddie Jacobson was well connected. Truman met a lot of wealthy people as they came to the stockyards & other places on business. Jacobson & Tom Pendergast would urge Truman to enter local politics.

IMG_2388.jpg

On a side note Jesse Edwards James, son of the outlaw Jesse Woodson James had a cigar stand in the lobby of the Jackson County Courthouse (no known pics exist). There he would met wealthy & otherwise influential men including the sons of some of his father's former enemies, who would eventually urge him to go to law school & become a lawyer. An effort was even made to form a movie production company to capitalize off his deceased father's notoriety. A total of 3 movies were made, all dismal failures. Location...location...location.

104 West 12th Street today

oiPmQVU.jpg

And perhaps among Harry's customers were these two gentlemen, Carlton Coon and Joe Sanders of the Coon-Sanders Nighthawk Orchestra which played across the street at the Hotel Muehlebach. The band was also founded in 1919.

coon.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo