Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

HadleyH1

One Too Many
I don't disagree with you. I've seen the uncropped version of this photo, and in my opinion the crown is creased too tall for Mr. Thomas. As for the ribbon, it's one thing I'm not a fan of on a lot of 1920s hats--I like a reasonably sized wide ribbon, but on most hats of that era they're just too wide/tall for my tastes. For that reason, I much prefer hats from the 1930s, 40s, and 50s.

I agree with you that the crown is creased a little too tall for Mr Thomas.
I have to say, though, that in my opinion the mayority of 1920s hats are simply stunning, also 1930s and 1940s hats are spectacular!! There is always an exception like in this case Mr. Thomas in the photo I posted, but he is in the minority. The majority of these hats are truly amazing!

I think this is a 1920s perfect hat.

Last edited:

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
"Brother Can You Spare a Dime?"
8b32703v.jpg

8b31765v.jpg

1d6b194aea11ed6f_large.jpg

HadleyH1

One Too Many
And for me it's an example of the things I don't like about fedoras from any era--the ribbon is a little too wide/tall, and the crown is too tapered. Just a matter of taste; different strokes for different folks. Life would be boring if we all liked everything equally. ;)

You are absolutely right! ^^ :) à chacun son goût !!

I particularly like the look of fedoras from the 20s to the 50s.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
And for me it's an example of the things I don't like about fedoras from any era--the ribbon is a little too wide/tall, and the crown is too tapered. Just a matter of taste; different strokes for different folks. Life would be boring if we all liked everything equally. ;)

And I like the wide ribbon, and agree about too much taper. Diffstrokes, indeed.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
you guys are reminding me of a childhood story

my family had a house up in the Catskill mountains on something like 100 acres ... my dad was a member of a Rod & Gun club and multiple families shared the house ... it was like anything goes when we were up there ... I was driving my dads truck at like 8 years old down to the old graveyard and back ... tasting beer ... smoking cigars ... great parenting huh ?... it was a different time

anyway ... every summer we would take the tractor up the mountain to cut down trees to chop up for the winter

one summer when I was probably 9 I went with them ... my old man , my brother and a couple of his friends ... they always had cigars and beer

I decided to smoke a bunch of Tijuana Smalls and drink a couple Budweiser nips ... legend has it I turned green ... I was sick for 3 days ...

never did enjoy smoking after that ... not cigarettes and cigars anyway ...

so whether it was on purpose or not .. that one incident turned me off to smoking for my entire life

2jakes

I'll Lock Up
you guys are reminding me of a childhood story

my family had a house up in the Catskill mountains on something like 100 acres ... my dad was a member of a Rod & Gun club and multiple families shared the house ... it was like anything goes when we were up there ... I was driving my dads truck at like 8 years old down to the old graveyard and back ... tasting beer ... smoking cigars ... great parenting huh ?... it was a different time

anyway ... every summer we would take the tractor up the mountain to cut down trees to chop up for the winter

one summer when I was probably 9 I went with them ... my old man , my brother and a couple of his friends ... they always had cigars and beer

I decided to smoke a bunch of Tijuana Smalls and drink a couple Budweiser nips ... legend has it I turned green ... I was sick for 3 days ...

never did enjoy smoking after that ... not cigarettes and cigars anyway ...

so whether it was on purpose or not .. that one incident turned me off to smoking for my entire life

For me it was "Angel Eyes's pipe" (Lee Van Cleef)
7757674_orig.jpg

I was not into smoking at all but I enjoyed this character so much
I went and bought a bent shape meers pipe. It was white, so I got
this brilliant idea to smoke it until it turned dark.
I got sick big time.
The fact that I used cheap cherry blend super sweet tobacco only
added to the nausea which lasted for a long long time.

afeevancleefonehorse.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tuatara