Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Non Shorpy Web All Stars.

Farmer talking with warehouse man about price he received at auction for his tobacco, November 1939, Durham, North Carolina. Photograph by Marion Post Wolcott.

tobacco600px.jpg

Auctioneer, buyers, and farmers during tobacco auction sale. Warehouse. Durham, North Carolina, November 1939

963_ar_14.jpg

Bookmen for the warehouse follow the sale and check the prices of tobacco after the auction. Durham, North Carolina, November 1939

963_ar_7.jpg

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
They still had trucks delivering ice to homes (like my Mom's Mom) that still used ice boxes when I was little , then deliveries stopped , and in summer first stop was the coke plant to get drinks and a huge box cooler , then to the Ice House to pick up ice . They sold it by the block , but would put it in a grinding thing to chip it up . We put the drinks in and the watermelons . That photo looks almost exactly like it was back then . The building was torn down 20-30 years ago here (in town) , was down by the tracks near the Rail Road Station (where it was , its gone , too , now) . The Good Old Days . ... I remember going with my Dad to buy a block to make Homemade Ice Cream , we chipped it ourselves with an ice pick and an odd looking hammer/pick like thing .

That photo looks almost exactly like it was back then . The building was torn down 20-30 years ago here (in town) , was down by the tracks near the Rail Road Station (where it was , its gone , too , now) . The Good Old Days . ... I remember going with my Dad to buy a block to make Homemade Ice Cream , we chipped it ourselves with an ice pick and an odd looking hammer/pick like thing .
Ditto, right down to the bldg location & everything. Besides homemade ice cream we would ice down tubs of fish while cleaning them & getting them ready for the freezer.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
People called it either the Ice House , or Ice Plant , as I recall . Funny I was so little , and still remember it like yesterday .

And I remember it was a big deal for my Grandmother (she was already widowed), and seems like everybody came to see the Frigadair (sp) when it came and I think they took the old Ice Box away in the delivery truck .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner