Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE OFFICIAL INDIANA JONES HAT

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Now on sale at various hat shops. All beaver and fully lined.

Only $525!
large_IndianaJonesLimitedEdition1.jpg

I think I'll stick with the custom made non authentic jobs that cost the same price though look more accurate.
Or even an Akubra.

CdnDandy

Familiar Face
Lot of these posted on Ebay too. Authentic? Who knows.

From one of the auctions:

"Authentic Indiana Jones!

Only XXXXX has the license to make this hat, it is made for Lucasfilm and Disney. This is the finest quality wool hat in the Indiana Jones line and it is a true Fedora. Only our IJ Fur Felt hat is better quality.

Constructed of superior grade wool felt that is rigid with the classic raw edge. Genuine leather sweatband and satin lining with Grosgrain ribbon hat band.

Have you always wanted to be adventurous and daring like Indiana Jones? Well here is your chance to at least have his hat! This is the officially licensed Indiana Jones Fedora. It isn't "Like" Indiana Jones, It isn't "Almost" Indiana Jones, This is the real thing."

[huh]

besdor

Vendor/Sponsor
To my knowledge, the only official Indiana Jones hat that can be sold here is the one made by Dorman Pacific. These are made in both wool and felt .
Mayser of Germany has the license for Europe and makes a much nicer Indy hat similar to one that Akubra was selling a while ago that a lot of the loungers grabbed up when they went on sale.

Steven
www.bencrafthats.com

pdxvintagette

A-List Customer
And to think that every fedora I've ever bought for a male friend was less than $20 at an estate sale... is there something so very exciting about being "official?"

fatwoul

Practically Family
Has there been any discussion here or anywhere else why the "official" Indiana Jones hats resemble no hat from any of the films?

It seems so strange that the producers of the films would spend so much care selecting the hatter to make the movie hats, and seemingly so little regard for the same detail when selecting the company to produce the official hats for the public. I mean, apart from being brown, I see nothing about the official hats that looks even close to the movie hat.

WEEGEE

Practically Family
The Real Deal

Matt Deckard
I think I'll stick with the custom made non authentic jobs that cost the same price though look more accurate.

Yes! We know who makes the real one. Why do the "official" models never look like the real deal?

Edward

Bartender
WEEGEE said:
Matt Deckard

Yes! We know who makes the real one. Why do the "official" models never look like the real deal?

Tell me about it. It's the same in everything - official costums of any sort are, as a general rule (with a very few exceptions) pretty awful - shoddy quality, and inaccurate. This in no way is as outright appalling as the official Rocky Horror costumes they brought out a few years back, though - at least it looks like a decent hat, even if one that isn't accurate.

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
Maybe the actual creators hold copyright, and therefore they put out whatever to say they did...Then again...maybe Stetson screwed the pooch when they dropped making an "official" hat...[huh] Has anyone seen or held the "fur" Dorfman model?...I've bumped into the wool version at Cracker Barrel....My how cheap it was.....:eek: :mad: :D
I'm sure it's a money thing.... :D

The more I look at that "hat", the angrier I get.:rage: :rage: How dare they try to pass this stuff off as original. It looks nothing like it. it's a shame what these conglomerate companies push on the unsuspecting populace.

My gosh...i sound like I should be on COWS....:eek: lol :D

Aaron Hats

Vendor
WEEGEE said:
Why do the "official" models never look like the real deal?

The answer is simple...most people don't care. If I polled 100 people who walked into the store and put a leather western hat and a brown fedora in front of them I'd bet 50% would choose the leather as the IJ hat.

Aaron

Snazzy

New in Town
Same bad hat, much higher price. That's the way it looks to me. Granted it is "100% beaver felt", but it still is in no way a screen accurate hat :eusa_doh:

What are the Lucasfilm guys thinking?! At least you get really nice box for it to go in o_O

RBH

Bartender
Whats bad [beside the over priced price tag] is that it is not a bad looking fedora, but it is in no way a copy of the Indiana Jones hat. In and of itself it is probably a OK hat.
It is just one more fedora that you could get anywhere for a much lower price.
MARKETING.... that is the cause for the name of it and the HIGH price.
If the guys in the know start watching this forum .. expect The Stratoliner to return, and it will have a 2 1\4 brim with a 3 inch ribbon.

Edward

Bartender
Aaron Hats said:
The answer is simple...most people don't care. If I polled 100 people who walked into the store and put a leather western hat and a brown fedora in front of them I'd bet 50% would choose the leather as the IJ hat.

Aaron

That's exactly it. In the real world, most folks aren't as anally retentive as some of us tend to be. There's always some folks - myself included - who want to get things just right - or at least as far as possible within reason (and some too who'll go wany beyond reason. ;) ). For the average fan, any brown hat will be "the Indiana Jones hat" - bear in mind these are the same people who in the street make cowboy and/or Indy comments any time they see a fedora. Most folks just don't have much of an eye for detail is all. I guess as long as there's a market for this sort of product, they'll keep selling it. Some folks will always place a great store in branding - think Harley Davidsons, Gibson guitars, or anything else that the Japanese copy and better, but lots of folks will still buy "the real thing" simply because it is. For a pure beaver hat of a good quality, it seems to me (from my very limited knowledge of the high end) that it's not hideously more expensive than anything else, though yes if I could justify that sort of money on a hat I'd be going with a custom myself. The folks I'd feel sorry for would be anyone who bought one of these wanting perfect screen accuracy and believing they'd get it by buying official.... I do kinda suspect, though, that most anyone who would be that concerned with the details would already know...

Still, seeing the price of this makes me feel better about having pushed the boat out and splashed out (for me, anyhow) on a Fed Deluxe.... ;)

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Edward said:
... In the real world, most folks aren't as anally retentive as some of us tend to be.

Edward, We have a saying over here, "You just quit preaching and went to meddling!" lol lol lol lol

(For what it's worth you "hit the nail squarely on the head.")

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24