Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Panama Hat of the Kentucky Derby

panamaJess

New in Town
The Kentucky Derby has done something new this year by naming Panador Hats the official Panama hats of this year's Derby. I'm partial to the Panama hat and think it's pretty sweet that the world’s most prominent hat event has decided to recognize genuine Panama hats. :eusa_clap

official-panama-hat-280x300.jpg

Lokar

A-List Customer
Never heard of the Kentucky Derby myself (I'd say Ascot is the most prominent hat event!), but regardless that's fantastic news. More panama trade makes hat wearing more common (and more acceptable), and keeps the weavers in business!

fmw

One Too Many
The Kentucky Derby is the U.S. equivalent of Ascot. It is the premier thoroughbred horse race in this country.

Lokar

A-List Customer
Aha! Thanks.

Wonder why it's race horsing that's still got the hat association? I suppose it's a) outdoors and b) traditional, and you don't dress up in sports clothes like you can for football, etc.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
Type:
Kentucky Derby Hats
into a Google image search, and you'll see that it's not about subtlety in sports clothes. It's about who can wear the biggest, craziest hat.
KENTUCKY+DERBY+HATS+7.jpg
kentucky_derby_hats1.jpg

Lokar

A-List Customer
That happens with Ascot too, but only the women - men generally wear smart casual up to a suit, unless they're in the royal enclosure - then it's full morning dress and top hats required!

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
As some one who lives in Louisville. I asked the question to the company and they are going to be selling these hats online and at the Race coarse. This is the one time of the year that Louisville goes hat crazy I hit several vintage shops during this time to see if I can pick up anything. As hats come out of the woodwork in the spring. I have to make my rounds this week to what has shown up in the past week.
Always have found a few good finds this time of year.;)

J.B.

Practically Family
I guess it's okay to wear a straw on the first Saturday in May?!?

...I mean in spite of the fact that Straw Hat Day isn't until May 15th, or Memorial Day, or Memorial Day Observed, or the second Saturday in May, or Easter, or Maundy Thursday, or etc., etc., etc... :D

I know! Since it's Louisville -- I'll utilize The White Shoe Rule after having applied its Southern Resort Exception!

There. Carry on.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
There are many hat designers that have shows and trunk shows this time of year. Examples shown here are just the funny ones. The first of May is generally a great day in Louisville bright and sunny so yes straw hats are worn. I have already worn mine a few days already. It will be 75 degress today. Wearing my new Hat People cap today thou.

panamaJess

New in Town
@fmw, thanks.
I've never been to the Derby...wish I could go this year and witness some of these incredible hats for myself. Alas, I will be sunning myself on a beautiful beach in Thailand, where I will have no qualms about wearing a Panama straw...May 15 or no. :D

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Bah-Humbug! they are naught but corporate ho's

Many of these hats are clearly identifiable as Scala/Dorfman Pacific products. Marked up to the n'th degree, mediocre at best.

Whats next? The official® Bourbon? The official® mint sprigs? The official® horseshoe, jockstrap, equine blood doping?

"When everything has a price, nothing has value."

~ Dr Erich Fromm

- oops, reality eclipses parody & ridicule one again - The Kentucky Bourbon Trail®

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
John Frum