Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Stetson Nutria Quality Thread

krasher

New in Town
Hello from Austria - this being my first post, I'll introduce myself first: I'm a Pinstriping and Lettering artist and have been into the 50s and late 40s music, cars and the Rock'n'Roll scene for over 20 years. Been collecting vintage clothes and have recently started to add some hats to my wardrobe - here's a Stetson Nutria Quality Western hat I scored on ebay, gray/silver with an 5.5" crown and 3.5" brim.
After reading all the wonderful info on this site, it should be from the late 40s or early 50s:

nutriahat1.jpg

nutriahat2.jpg

nutriahat3.jpg

nutriahat4.jpg

nutriahat5.jpg

nutriahat6.jpg

nutriahat7.jpg

nutriahat8.jpg

nutriahat9.jpg

nutriahat10.jpg

krasher

New in Town
Thanks for the comments! I don't play in any bands, but do quite a bit of DJ-ing, so it'll stay on my head for those hillbilly-themed gigs.
I just couldn't leave that Ft. Worth crease and all-too common brim curl it came with alone and decided to practice my bashing and pencilrolling skills on it. I believe the crease is called double puncher.
Please feel welcome to add any comments on the time-frame, not sure whether it's mid-late 40s or early 50s.

krasher

New in Town
Yes, it's the one from Garberswesterncollectibles, Alan - description and photos weren't really accurate - quite a few mothbites and different color (which I don't mind, they told me about it in an e-mail and I prefer the actual one, anyway).
I know Nudie suits very well, but prefer not to look like a Christmas tree, despite the time of the year. Besides, I feel more comfortable behind the turntables or on the dancefloor, then on a stage.
Here's a pic of me from one of the last gigs I went to:
cowboyme.jpg

Last edited:

krasher

New in Town
Krasher, ein grüß Gott nach Österreich und Herzlich Wilkommen! Beautiful hat, congrats. How about a noggin shot!
Hi Manfred! noggin shot with that hat will follow within the next week or two, after I've worn it at a couple of gigs that I'll be DJ-ing at.

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I love this hat, but I'm going to let it go.
It's getting ready for its trip to North Carolina, to join the 7XCB Mode Edge I just sent there.
DSCN2742_zpsfdead3af.jpg

DSCN2756_zpsea3b65f2.jpg

Last edited:

viclip

Practically Family
Breathtaking! Thanks.
One quick question: Is the shot of you wearing the hat reversed, or have you somehow found a wristwatch with the stem on the left?

oldfox if you're looking for a wristwatch with the stem or crown on the left side of the watch, try Panerai or U-Boat. There are others as well but these come to mind off the top of my head. Rather than targeting left-handed people who prefer to wear their watches on their right wrist, those manufacturers tend to cater to the diving fraternity. Apparently divers either prefer the crown reversed for some reason (with the timepiece on their left wrist) or else they prefer to wear their dive watches on their right wrists.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24