Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The one that (almost) got away

hargist

One of the Regulars
Funny story for you all.

This past weekend, my roommate and I went to Palm Springs, just to relax and enjoy Joshua Tree National Park. On the way there, we stopped at a rest area near those power generating windmills.

windmill.jpg

Those windmills are there for good reason. It was extremely windy that day. I jammed my Panama hat on my head, but on my way back to the car, a strong gust blew my hat off. It hit the pavement and immediately rolled away on its brim at breakneck speed! It was rolling like a tire.

I quickly ran after it because the wind was constant and there was nothing to stop it. My roommate was laughing her head off as she struggled to find her camera in her purse.

I ran at a full sprint and finally caught up with it, but not until I covered at least 60 yards! It would have kept going. Fortunately I was able to scoop it up before it made it to the highway.

Sadly, my roommate was unable to get the camera in time.

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
Never underestimate the wind in these parts, friend! lol On a similarly windy day, just down Hwy 62 from the windmills (29 Palms), I stepped out of my vehicle to greet a troop of Boy Scouts who were awaiting a tour of my Curation Center. The 30+ mph wind whipped my Hardeman across the parking lot like it was being pulled by an F-18. My co-worker said he'd never seen me run so fast. I wouldn't have caught it at all if it hadn't rolled up against a chain link fence. Then, having just run about 150 yards as fast as I could, I had to come back and start the tour! The Boy Scouts got quite a kick of of that, those little....

On another note, give a shout when you're here again, Hargist! I'll meet for a G&T or some such!

hargist

One of the Regulars
Mojave Jack said:
Never underestimate the wind in these parts, friend! lol On a similarly windy day, just down Hwy 62 from the windmills (29 Palms), I stepped out of my vehicle to greet a troop of Boy Scouts who were awaiting a tour of my Curation Center. The 30+ mph wind whipped my Hardeman across the parking lot like it was being pulled by an F-18. My co-worker said he'd never seen me run so fast. I wouldn't have caught it at all if it hadn't rolled up against a chain link fence. Then, having just run about 150 yards as fast as I could, I had to come back and start the tour! The Boy Scouts got quite a kick of of that, those little....

On another note, give a shout when you're here again, Hargist! I'll meet for a G&T or some such!

I'll take you up on that! Be thankful that the fence was there. I will never underestimate the wind around there again!

Doh!

One Too Many
Do trolleys work on straw hats? If the chord runs from the top of the brim, over it, and then gets attached to your person isn't there the risk of it damaging said brim?

Or does the chord attach from the inside of the crown? Inquiring minds...

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
On the old hats, the wind trolley was fastened on top of the brim, so it could be wound around the hatband, and be almost unnoticable when not in use. This meant if you ever used it, the string would be over the top of the brim. If you want a trolley today, you will probably have to add it yourself. That means you can fasten it on however you want. After all, it's just a string with a button on it. Another option is the "cowboy" string with a sliding bead. I have one that was factory installed. I've also used a 42" boot lace run through holes I punched by hand, using the right size drill bit and slowly turning it by hand.

Shanghailander

One of the Regulars
I attach the wind cord to the label which is sewn into the sweatband of my straw hats. When not in use, I wind it around the inside of the hat, tucking it into the top of the band.

When in use, it runs down the back of my neck, behind my ear - not so noticeable as those which are attached to the outside of the hat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred