Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

Of my two 100's compared to my 7X, I have to agree with you, David. It is like the 100 is a special occasion hat.

This has been my experience as well, but I think the periodic factor accounts more for the differences than model. I have four 7x hats with a range (guesstimate) from late 1940s to late 1950s. My two 100s were both 1960s hats. The Stetson 100 had a shorter life, beginning later than the 7X. In my opinion the earlier clear beaver hats were a more interesting animal - softer, more supple, becoming stiffer and generally less sublime in all respects as the years progressed. This holds for the 3X as well, which was pretty marvelous in 1940 and earlier, becoming somewhat less marvelous by the late 1950s. Someday I would like to handle one of the earliest 100s to see how it compares.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
OK gents, I need a lil' help here....

I recently found this hat, the sweatband indicates that it a 3X Open Road, and even has the vintage Schaefer Hat Works card still glued in!
DSC_1492.jpg
DSC_1493.jpg
DSC_1494.jpg
DSC_1495.jpg
DSC_1496.jpg
DSC_1497.jpg

....BUT, I have never seen an Open Road hat with this style of ribbon paired with this short a brim. I flipped the sweatband down and found this label:
DSC_1498.jpg

A Belgian Vimenet with a Stetson sweatband?

So, two questions for those more knowledgeable than I:

1) What era is this hat from?

2) Did Vimenet ever make hats for Stetson or did someone sew in an Open Road sweatband onto a Vimenet hat?

rlk

I'll Lock Up
...and its only the leather from that sweatband minus the reed and its covering.

Looks like a nice lightweight felt.

Last edited:

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
It appears that someone put the Stetson sweatband into the Vimenet hat.

But here is where it gets weird.... the Schaefer card is glued to the sweatband, and appears to vintage 20s-40s; if someone was going to replace the Vimenet sweatband with that of an Open Road, why not just tear this card out?

...and its only the leather from that sweatband minus the reed and its covering.

Looks like a nice lightweight felt.

Like a feather!

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
While waiting for my grandson to finish his martial arts class this afternoon over in fort Smith I wandered into the salvation army store. I walked out holding a fawn colored Stetson Open road in almost perfect shape, needing only a light clean--total cost ONE DOLLAR!! It is a center bash pinch front--And Fits! Some days the stars and moon line up just right and the sun shines just a little brighter.

Last edited:

randooch

I'll Lock Up
Dan, that's my exact dream upon entering any thrift store. Hope springs eternal, and apparently is fulfilled now and then! Nice score. :) Post up a picture of it, eh?

Dan Allen

A-List Customer
Thank you, I will have to wait till my grandson gets back Monday before I can post piks. The truth is--I don't know how. Charles Darwin was right I have no doubt. kids today are born with a "digital gene" that us old boomers just don't have.

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
While waiting for my grandson to finish his martial arts class this afternoon over in fort Smith I wandered into the salvation army store. I walked out holding a fawn colored Stetson Open road in almost perfect shape, needing only a light clean--total cost ONE DOLLAR!! It is a center bash pinch front--And Fits! Some days the stars and moon line up just right and the sun shines just a little brighter.

You must be livin' right, Mr. Allen! :eusa_clap Congrats & welcome to TFL!

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Who said the dollar couldn't buy anything in this day in age?

Good deal ... :yo:

Reminds me of the great CB that I found in a garage sale many years ago for (I think it was) three bucks. Sometimes we get that lucky, but it's very rare.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elzbthy