Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

flyingfish

New in Town
Hi folks, thought I'd drop a line on this thread to say I'm looking for a Stetson 100 Open Road size 7 3/8. I've been keeping an eye on eBay and will bid if anything comes up but thought there might be someone here who is looking to sell one. Thanks!

Landman

One Too Many
MilanandOR982012007.jpg

JT,

The C-Crown not only looks great but so does the crease on the hat hanging behind you. Sort of a modified Cattleman's crease. Very nice.

DougC

Practically Family
Went by Paris Hatters this morning to pick up a new hat and got a look at something new Abe had made special for the shop--a 20x and a 10x Open Road in silver belly. The felt on both hats was about the same consistency and feel as a dress fedora--maybe a little stiffer...but, not cowboy felt stiff. No word on price yet...I reserved a 20x. The hat I looked at was very similar to the felt on my 1950s OR Royal Deluxe I have (before it got rained on and all the shellac got washed out!).

TPD166

One Too Many
My oldest Open Road

I have a few that go back to the 1960s, but I picked up this Royal Deluxe Open Road a few months back (a just listed & really low B-I-N on ebay) and based on my research here, dates to the early 1950s. It came to me very soft, with a deep, well-worn cattleman crease, which is how I have been wearing it for a while. Yesterday I decided to try and re-shape if for the first time with a few dry bashes - I was amazed at how well it took them, as well as finding it was much taller and there was no taper to crown (as the old bash made it appear). Last night I steamed it to an open crown, the old creases quickly disappeared, and finally decided to see how diamond bash might look. I also worked on the brim, leaving it up all the way around at first (a little higher on the sides), but went back to the brim down again today - the jury is still out on what to do with the brim. Here is the transformation:

As received.
ORbefore_w_zpsddd828ed.jpg

Initial dry bashes.
OR-dryctrcr_w_zps0516ca75.jpg
OR_drybash_w_zps46b9fcae.jpg

Final (brim up).
OR-final_w_zpsddcf17ea.jpg
OR_Diamond_w_zps4fad090a.jpg

Today (with brim down).
OR_fed_brim_w_zps41a3a1bd.jpg

It needs a good cleaning, and unfortunately the original sweatband won't survive that, but until then it is like getting a new hat!

Last edited:

Doc Mark

Familiar Face
Greetings, Gentlemen, and Ladies,

Well, I'm hoping that this Stetson qualifies as an Open Road, even though it is not marked thus, and the brim is slightly smaller than what I have usually seen. Being from Texas, I grew up seeing this type of Stetson just about everywhere, and now I'm happy to have this one for myself. It's got a bit of "schmutznick" on it, but nothing that an easy cleaning won't remove. Fits me very nicely, and is fairly good condition, too. There is a number stamped in the hat, but I'm thinking it's not a date, though it could be. It was originally sold by Alterman's Man's Shop, in San Antonio, TX, but I'm not sure when. My guess on this Stetson is 1970's, but of course, I'm still learning, and could easily have missed a fine point, or four, so I might be off base. The stamp in the hat is "3895". Could that mean March 8, 1995? I'm still thinking '70's. Please let me know what you think. Here goes:

DSCN8230.jpg

DSCN8231.jpg

DSCN8232.jpg

DSCN8234.jpg

DSCN8235.jpg

DSCN8241.jpg

DSCN8242.jpg

DSCN8243.jpg

DSCN8240.jpg

DSCN8238.jpg

Reached the limit, but there will be one "action shot", taken by a neighbor after we got home from church a few weeks ago. Thanks for checking out my Stetson, and I look forward to see if it cuts the "Open Road" mustard! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Doc Mark

Familiar Face
Hi, All,

Here is the shot of Sweet Bride and I, taken after church a few Sundays ago, by a neighbor. Not a good shot of the Stetson, but it will have to do for now.

_DSC9040.jpg

Thanks, again, for giving this a squint, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

DougC

Practically Family
Great hat, Doc! I'll ask around about when Alterman's closed. I've been in San Antonio about all my life--never heard of the store.

Doc Mark

Familiar Face
Great hat, Doc! I'll ask around about when Alterman's closed. I've been in San Antonio about all my life--never heard of the store.

Howdy, Doug,

Great to hear from you, Sir! I'm from Odessa, originally, and still think of Texas as home!

Some of the information that I got was from the obituary of a Gentleman who had worked in Alterman's, if memory serves, in 1959, but I could be forgetting the exact year. I should call my Uncle in Texas, and see if he remembers that store. Too bad my Dad has passed, as he sold men's clothing all his life, and would probably know if that store was there, or somewhere else. Thanks for any info you can dig up on your end, Sir! Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Doc Mark

Familiar Face
Hey, Doug,

He worked at the Quicksilver Co., in Odessa, quite a while. Back in the 'late 40's, when Mom and Dad moved to Odessa, he began working there, then later in his life, he went back to work for them again, with the SAME General Manager!! I think his name was Floyd Scrimpsure, or something like that. I worked for that same Gentleman in 1968, when I went back to Odessa to attend Jr. College! These days that's seems a very long time for one man to be with the same company, but not that rare back in those days. Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

Doc Mark

Familiar Face
Hey, James,

Thanks, very much, and welcome to you, too, Sir! Nice place, isn't it?!! I've spent lots of hours doing research here, and I've not even scratched the surface as of yet!! But, you picked a great place to learn about, and share hats, right here at The Fedora Lounge! Thanks, again, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
Doc

ethansawyer

New in Town
I regret this confession immeasurably, however; I have been reading this forum since the early dawn of 2010. I have never quite had the courage to be active and post due to a belief that my horde of fedoras was not quite up to the lofty measuring stick of many of the loungers whom I admire and respect immensely. I am a 4th grade teacher on a very modest income supporting my wife and two young boys, Ethan and Sawyer. Yet, over the past couple of years through searching high and low in shops around Missouri, I have managed to be blessed enough to procure some of the best pieces of vintage and quality hattery that I know of. From an Art Fawcett to a vintage Stratoliner, and a myriad of treasures in between. The very last hat on my list would now be a Stetson 100 with leather case, in any size and condition, oh well, a teacher can dream!!!!

Fraternally yours,
James

Landman

One Too Many
Doc,

That's a great looking Stetson. I was born and raised in San Antonio. I still live here today and I've never heard of Alterman's Man's Shop. I'll let you know if I can find anything out about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn