Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Really? Wow. All the more interesting! I haven't seen that anywhere either.

But they still put it for sale? The other side of the band has the store stamp, Zachary's in Atlanta.

What you have is a hat that was a reject, they put a hot gold foil stamp over the RD and open road just to cover it up.

without question, lots of examples exist. an open road never had a felted edge.
With new examples every day I am not sure you can unequivocally say one hat or another never came that way. In my ad example the "Whippet" shown had a custom edge (not it's later well know bound edge) and cost more. I have seen many ads by many companies that stated such and such a model was available (for more money of course) in bound or cavanaugh\custon/mode brim edge.
Stetson, Dobbs and many others state this in their advertising. Just check out my threads.... Also Stetson was good for "experimental and sample" hats............I have a lot of information in my issues of "the Hat Box" about that and even a retailer ad offering these hats a a discount (ad is from 1922 I believe).
Best,
M
Your "Open Road" is awesome by the way!!!! As is your ad block!!

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Great stuff!

I was wondering about the edge. From your image of the print and the advertisement above I really can't tell if the edges are felted or not in those examples.

It's a sweet hat, the felt is amazing, and I like it all the more for the more information!

without question, lots of examples exist. an open road never had a felted edge.

Just Daniel

One Too Many
Wow! More great info. Thanks for the insight!

With new examples every day I am not sure you can unequivocally say one hat or another never came that way. In my ad example the "Whippet" shown had a custom edge (not it's later well know bound edge) and cost more. I have seen many ads by many companies that stated such and such a model was available (for more money of course) in bound or cavanaugh\custon/mode brim edge.
Stetson, Dobbs and many others state this in their advertising. Just check out my threads.... Also Stetson was good for "experimental and sample" hats............I have a lot of information in my issues of "the Hat Box" about that and even a retailer ad offering these hats a a discount (ad is from 1922 I believe).
Best,
M

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Best,
M

Nuts!!

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
EE960B0B-DCA1-4A49-90EF-7468E2F2CB09.jpeg
ADA2950E-3772-4CD8-8457-2B41149BEC04.jpeg
721288DC-2930-4359-B68D-9C03640E0387.jpeg
6A47AEE9-7C96-4ED1-B649-A9BA4EA483EB.jpeg
06787AB5-A342-435B-A282-BAAD9FBD8786.jpeg
CD0D8C03-D14C-42AC-93B9-CC9C04FC61F7.jpeg
DD8ECAE7-5EA6-40FC-A702-2A10D90A3B1F.jpeg
AF62618B-2515-40A0-9639-4727E7F95EAC.jpeg
EF035358-025C-420E-BD87-6D0E93A6AE84.jpeg
Greetings All:
I’d like to share with the Guild this OR.
If i’ve posted it here before just ignore it.
Fairly unworn 7X Clear Beaver. Interestingly the date stamped sweatband. It came with the branding iron pin. A nice touch.
A fairly firm brim and crown common, i believe, for this period. The crease appears factory and i like it so it stays!
All in all a fine OR specimen me thinks.
Be well. Bowen

I believe that was a commonly offered service by most of the brands at the time. I have hats from several manufacturers that have store debossments. I was just marvelling the other day, looking at a hat that had a store marking from some nowheresville shop. Back then, even the smallest haberdasher in Frostbite Falls put their name on the sweats.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

RJR

I believe that was a commonly offered service by most of the brands at the time. I have hats from several manufacturers that have store debossments. I was just marvelling the other day, looking at a hat that had a store marking from some nowheresville shop. Back then, even the smallest haberdasher in Frostbite Falls put their name on the sweats.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.
+1

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
View attachment 117749 View attachment 117750 View attachment 117751 View attachment 117752 View attachment 117753 View attachment 117754 View attachment 117755 View attachment 117756 View attachment 117759 Greetings All:
I’d like to share with the Guild this OR.
If i’ve posted it here before just ignore it.
Fairly unworn 7X Clear Beaver. Interestingly the date stamped sweatband. It came with the branding iron pin. A nice touch.
A fairly firm brim and crown common, i believe, for this period. The crease appears factory and i like it so it stays!
All in all a fine OR specimen me thinks.
Be well. Bowen
That one really speaks to me. I love the crease! I usually prefer a bash without sharp creases. This one changes my whole perspective. Gorgeous!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Everybody:
All i can say is that Stetson “still” made a fine quality hat as of that date.
DD: yeah i really like that crease it has. The only other hat i have with it is a Dobbs GC 25. It came that way as well.
Perfect for small rear dents.
Be well. Bowen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner