Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Open Road Guild

randooch

I'll Lock Up
DSCN1082.jpg

Not too tall for your features at all, Andy! Looks just right.

Very nice 3X Open Road with embroidered Last Drop and translucent vinyl crown protector. I would guess early 1950s, but would defer to Carouselvic's knowledge. Looks to be in great condition and it looks very good on you. Enjoy!

Orangegrad

Practically Family
Thanks for all the replies gents. I think it's time to take my wife and my new old OR on a trip around Little Italy. Maybe the OR would be more at home in Texas, but we'll have to make do with Cleveland.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I have a question for the more experienced Open Road folks out there.

Below are some pics of a Stetson Twenty-Five that I acquired from fellow lounger bond (thank you Scott for this wonderful hat!).
My date guess based on felt quality, sweat, liner & tag would be late 40s, else early 50s.

It has the dimensions and the specs of an Open Road without being labeled as an OR. I have read somewhere that Stetson did produce some ORs without the Open Road name on the sweatband, especially for the Texan market.

Does anyone have any information on this topic, or whether this particular hat is indeed an OR?

5.5" x 2 3/4", silverbelly.
2 " sweatband, fairly thin leather and very soft.
The felt is exceptionally malleable and takes any dry crease.

P1050140.jpg

P1050141.jpg

P1050142.jpg

P1050145.jpg

P1050148.jpg

P1050149.jpg

P1050147.jpg

P1050146.jpg

P1050150.jpg

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Does anyone have any information on this topic, or whether this particular hat is indeed an OR?

There will be those who share the other view, of course. But I think something close to agreement was reached on this topic a long time ago. If a hat (Stetson or otherwise) does not say Open Road, it's not an Open Road. The same logic applies to Whippets and Playboys, and so on (and on).
Either way, I love your Stetson Twenty-Five. It looks like a great hat ... :yo:

Looks great and I think your estimate of late forties to early fifties is correct. There are many examples here of Stetson dress westerns in quality designations from Royal to 100 that carry all the elements of the Open Road save the imprint.

Only you and your hairdresser will know for sure. Enjoy!

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
There will be those who share the other view, of course. But I think something close to agreement was reached on this topic a long time ago. If a hat (Stetson or otherwise) does not say Open Road, it's not an Open Road. The same logic applies to Whippets and Playboys, and so on (and on).
Either way, I love your Stetson Twenty-Five. It looks like a great hat ... :yo:

I remember reading a discussion on this topic in relation to the W word... :) I agree.
For what it's worth, here's what I read about this un-labeled OR thing.
Some stores in Texas, if I remember correctly, ordered their ORs from Stetson requesting that the sweatband remain un-labeled. They did that, so the story went, in order to make the hats more appealing to customers who knew quality when they saw it but who at the same time were known to be somewhat allergic to labels, marketing names etc.
I cannot really confirm this information, so I'll leave it at that.
Of course I don't intend to open the old discussion again ;)

Thanks anyway, zetwal :)

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
By the way, what is mid-oval anyway?

I have read statements that it is between wide-oval and regular-oval (unmarked). I have also come across the claim that it is between regular-oval and long-oval.

I don't remember if I have come across the notion that it's really the same thing as regular-oval. But that doesn't sound entirely implausible either.

My experience with mid-ovals is minimal. To date, I have handled just two, and both seemed like a regular unmarked oval. I couldn't tell by the shape what mid-oval may have meant. Does anyone know for sure?

JTopenroad

One of the Regulars
My latest addition. Open Road 25 from the bay.

The seller stated that this hat was given to a family member and never worn. It was a little rumpled from improper storage and shipping.
FromEbayJan2012.jpg

I popped up the crown and gave it a good soaking with distilled water.
ORJan202012005.jpg

The liner and band are spotless so the story of never being worn is possible.
ORJan202012003.jpg
ORJan202012004.jpg
ORJan202012002.jpg

After a liitle work and some steam the hat settled into this bash.
ORJan202012011.jpg

It remains a little lumpy but somehow it seems to work, I like a hat with character.
ORJan202012013.jpg
ORJan202012008.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany