Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The perfect Cup of Joe.

Salv

One Too Many
Burma Shave said:
I haven't tried the Kuai, so I can't compare the two. The price on the Kona is reasonable -- or at least normal -- and I think you'd do well to give it a try. It's hard to say what's "reasonable" in a coffee that's about $100 per pound.

That said, the sampler of three looks great. Java and Celebes (Sulawesi) are two of my favorites, and the Malabar I've had was also excellent. As long as the roast is good, I don't see how you could go wrong with that selection. If you like your coffee oily, you'll be a happy man. That's "oily" as in natural oils, you understand.

Thanks a lot for the response. I'm working this weekend (night shifts...gah!) so I've got some days off early next week, and Tuesday is payday (yay...) so I'll wander into London and go to the Algerian Coffee Stores and indulge myself. They have a very good reputation and they've been in business since 1887 so they should know what they're doing when it comes to the roast.

Sachet

Familiar Face
ProperRogue said:
It is completely different then any other type of coffee you may have had, If you have never had Vietnamese Coffee, it is very strong and yet sweet at the same time. It is a treat like a desert, kind of like a good cognac after a great meal.

Enjoy!

PR

This sounds like something I would truly enjoy. Thank you for the informative websites and helpful suggestions. I look forward to trying to find a Vietnamese coffee pot this weekend.

Your personal insights make it all the more interesting.

Again, many thanks, PR! :coffee:

magneto

Practically Family
spiridon said:
Hi Magneto,
{{SNIP re: roasting own coffee beans}}
One thing I DID discover not too long ago is the ability to convert one of those "stir-type" popcorn poppers into a roaster......enabling the ability to roast a larger amount at one time. I'd be glad to post some info on that if anyone is interested?

Me, I would be interested at least! (eyes the Goodwill down the block)

Back on-topic lest we forget, up until the 40 or even 50s it was not uncommon to roast one's own coffee at home--I have seen old newsreels advertising coffee roasting appliances for the home (with the glamorous Golden Era housewife effortlessly manning the machine in her lovely kitchen!) Getting one of those babies would sure be a find! Ah, the good old days. :)

Speedster

Practically Family
ECM GIOTTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedster
My dream though is this one, an ECM Giotte

Damn, but that's nice. There's one on UK eBay at the moment - with 5 days to go it has already had 23 bids, and it's currently at ?Ǭ£206.00, but that price hasn't met the reserve.
Unquote

Hi Salv,

It met its reserve and went for ?Ǭ£505.00. A lot of money, but still around half price of a new one and worth every penny.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4440222798&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWA:IT&rd=1

Speedster

RedPop4

One Too Many
feltfan said:
Anyone want to take a bet on how long before
Spiridon joins this discussion? Looking forward to it...

I use a 1981 San Marco Type 80 Leva single
group 220 volt, 2000 watt espresso machine.
It's like these:
http://www.sweetmarias.com/lasanmarco.espressomachine.html
but classic Italian orange. The wiring and plumbing aren't as
challenging as they might seem, though old Italian machines
do inevitably leak. I just put on that vintage coffee brown
Borsalino extra extra superiore fedora and pull down the lever.

Espresso has a certain something other coffee doesn't have.
It tastes like no other, if extracted properly.

BTW, Matei, since people here so love it when I bring up
social justice issues, I'll point out that a lot of people, particularly
Armenians and those who care about them, call that coffee
"middle eastern coffee" or something like that. It is enjoyed
throughout the middle east. I found it all over Greece, too, where
it is ordered by level of sweetness.

And Salv, next time you get your hands on a Bialetti, fill it with
rum or brandy instead of water. Now THAT extracts the caffeine.
A heck of a drink. Just keep the flame low or you end up with a
bunsen burner.

OK, I didn't read the whole thread. I saw the very beginning invoking Spiridon and had to begin laughing. lol lol He introduced me to this site, I'm a longtime poster, moderator over at Cigar Weekly, and we're good friends.

I'm going to go back and read the rest of the thread, now. But I use a 32 ounce Bodum Chambord French Press most mornings. Although lately I've been using my moka pot (stovetop espresso maker) as I've been noticing the caffeine lately. MrsRedPop4 let my buy an Ibrik for Valentine's day, I used it once but didn't use enough coffee in it, although it was still good.

Oh, and like Spiridon, I roast my own beans.:coffee: :coffee: :coffee:

spiridon

A-List Customer
Hey coffee fans.....many of you may have already tried this, but I will be trying it for the first time......an Aeropress coffee brewer. It's probably closest to a french press in method....but still different. Here's a link that describes how it works:
http://www.aerobie.com/Products/aeropress_story.htm

I would normally not give this a second look, but several of my "coffee buddies" have given it a try and given it rave reviews! (and believe me, they were very skeptical at first!). I have one enroute from Coffee Bean Corral which is another green bean source I use on occasion.

Hey Tommy, I'll bring it with me when I come over in a couple of weeks....we can give it a try!:cool:

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
matei said:
Good thread idea...

We tried the French Press, but it doesn't make all that much coffee and it is a bit on the weak side.

We usually make coffee by boiling it together with the water, a l?ɬ° Turkish coffee. As a matter of fact, this is even how you say it in Romanian (cafea turcească). The key is to use fine-ground coffee, as fine as possible - so that it resembles a brown dust.

You bring the coffee and sugar to a slow boil in a long-handled pot called an ibric:
20487turkish.jpg

or like the ones in the middle here, with the long handles.

However, if I'm in a hurry, I just bring the water to a boil, throw two heaping teaspoons of coffee in, remove it from the flame and stir. It immediately foams up and you must blow on it or stir to get it to "deflate". The coffee prepared with this "easy" method isn't as strong as the former, and works great with my official "Fedora Lounge" coffee mug! :coffee:

We used to have a coffee machine (filter), but to our taste it is rather weak. We used to use it to make coffee for our friends visiting from the US (coffee seems to be weaker there - anyone else think so?), but now we subject them to "total immersion" and force them to start their day with a cup of the hard stuff!

When I was visiting family in Russia, one guy made me a cup of coffee like this. When he was done, his wife insisted he filter, but in response he said, "This man is a real man. He doesn't need filter."

I was full of vodka at the time, but that was one amazing cup of coffee, thick or not.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Mr Coffee was found dead one morning, so I began my Starbucks
habit at the State Street Barnes&Noble bookstore, where I met this
gorgeous Indian/Irish lass for whom I scribbled a poem on-the-spot,
before she had the cup (medium black) filled. And she gave me the first
cup free. That's how it all started. Now, I'm a recovering Starbucks
customer, and stick to the house percolator. :)

rockyj

One of the Regulars
Here's my two cents worth.

I agree with shamus. it's the coffee. Air roasted is the best. However, I do likes it brewed:) in the Bialetti coffee pot

DeeDub

One of the Regulars
Bodum Vacuum Coffee Maker

I've gotten excellent results with a vacuum maker. (J.B. mentioned this earlier in the thread.) I had read somewhere (long before J.B.'s post to this thread) that vacuum makers produce the best results, so I bought a Bodum stovetop model.

Not only does it make excellent coffee, it's great fun to watch.

Qualifier: As mentioned before, it won't make bad beans taste good.

http://www.bodumusa.com/shop/line.asp?MD=1&GID=3&LID=542&CHK=&SLT=&mscssid=LXHX73EGBUDE9G1SEULEV8JPJX18CLA3
Some URLs nowadays are just not meant to be typed "longhand".:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot