Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Powell from Matt Deckard Apparel

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
you know... you can work hand in hand with a company and just nail what you want by having them use materials you provide, and block and cut and finish the product just as you want so it come out like a beautiful 1930s hat off the assembly line... and then after trying and trying to see why there are so many delays, you finally find out that they were going through many of their own troubles and are going out of business.

It is a very sad duty to inform my clients that Deckard Headwear is suspending production for the foreseeable future. The manufacturer I was using is, after over 150 years of business, closing its doors and thus I no longer have the ability to produce hats of the quality I, and you, require.

I will be issuing refunds.

Despite this sad turn of events, rumblings are a-brew about a new magazine that my comrades and I are formulating about all things interbellum. Great work afoot on that front.

Landman

One Too Many
I know this is an old thread but I thought I would ask anyway. I recently saw a Deckard hat from the Beaver Brand auction that had a tag in it that read "San An Jr.". Would this be the same hat as the Powell. The dimensions and block look very similar. Thanks.

PS: I should have mentioned that the hat I saw was Steel colored with a dark gray or black ribbon.

Last edited:

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
I know this is an old thread but I thought I would ask anyway. I recently saw a Deckard hat from the Beaver Brand auction that had a tag in it that read "San An Jr.". Would this be the same hat as the Powell. The dimensions and block look very similar. Thanks.

PS: I should have mentioned that the hat I saw was Steel colored with a dark gray or black ribbon.

I believe, The first fedora that Matt Deckard sold was a Steel colored hat......

This might be one of those... someone jump in and correct me if I am wrong......

RBH

Bartender
While at the auction, I did not see but a few Deckard hats and I bought one of them for Major Moore.
They were all fedoras.
I do know that a box full of Deckard liners were sold.
So it is possible that we will see all sorts of styled hats with a Deckard liner.
As to the San An Jr. hat.... I think that was not in the Deckard lineup of hats.

tv29.jpg

fv0.JPG

Last edited:

RBH

Bartender
Mike has a set of blocks from Beaver Brand marked San An and I believe he has the Jr blocks also.
They are open crown and go with the finger blocker.
I believe that the tag marked that way is just a designation just as other makers used. It was a way to let you know what block was used.

Landman

One Too Many
Rusty,

Thanks for the info. I purchased the hat but haven't received it yet. When I do I will post some more info on it. It looked like a very nice hat. I just hope the felt is a nice as the Powell felt looked in the video.

Landman

One Too Many
I received the hat yesterday and it is very nice. It has a tall (6") straight sided crown, 2.5" bound brim and a 1 3/4" ribbon. The felt is very nice and reminds me of Akubra's Heritage grade felt. It can easily be dry bashed. The hat also has a soft and wide (2") leather sweatband. I'm very pleased with it.

Last edited:

Mr slick

Familiar Face
Hey Matt... how about issuing me a refund for the shirt I paid for which I have yet to see, and that was December 2012!! and after sending you a few emails, I have yet to hear from you! please get in touch... or if you are having problems, just send me a refund.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
Hey Mr. Slick, sorry if you have still not received the shirt. I believe I have sent two now. I'm be more than happy to send a refund. I've had issues with over seas shipments in the past but do have UK clients that have received shirts without a problem.

I'm sending out a couple Paramount collar shirts today. PM me when you get a shot. I want to make sure the address isn't off.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy