Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Resistol Roundup

Shooter

New in Town
I have a couple of vintage Resistols here and was wondering if there is a way of determining the beaver content in either. One is a Diamond Horseshoe 120 (vintage unknown), I understand that the 120 referred to the original price but also heard that a 120 equated to a 20X beaver. Any truth in this?

The other is a Beaver "30" (1960s vintage), again I have read that the 30 related to the price which presumably places this at the lower end of beaver percentage, though I have also seen it said that the "30" = 30X.

If anyone can clear either of these up for me I would be very grateful!

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Hmm....

Can you post some pictures?

In short, it's basically not possible to say with any certainty what the makeup of a vintage hat was. The X-rating system (5x, 7x, 10x, 100x, etc) was never consistent even within the same manufacturer, to say nothing of an industry wide standard.

The 120 strikes me as interesting, because typically the finest hats were the 100's (The Stetson 100 being the most well known example).

Shooter

New in Town
Hmm....

Can you post some pictures?

In short, it's basically not possible to say with any certainty what the makeup of a vintage hat was. The X-rating system (5x, 7x, 10x, 100x, etc) was never consistent even within the same manufacturer, to say nothing of an industry wide standard.

The 120 strikes me as interesting, because typically the finest hats were the 100's (The Stetson 100 being the most well known example).

The sweatband and liner from the "30" (don't have a picture of the outside to hand):

10zmk94.jpg

2euu0dz.jpg

The 120, the liner has been replaced:

2jaetkn.jpg

ih17jm.jpg

25716w9.jpg

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
thanks Mike ... I am very much enjoying this one
there is something a little extra comfortable about this hat.... can't put my finger on why ...
Maybe it's that "self-conforming" sweatband they trumpeted in their ads, including the famous one we've seen here with Humphrey Bogart. My near-stingy brim model from the early Sixties is excellent in that regard. So are my two OR-style Resistols. They really were the unsung gems of yesteryear's hat world.

barrowjh

One Too Many
Shooter, the 30 and the 120 are obviously all about the price. I think the beaver content was probably at least equal to the 1950s 3X beaver, but that is about all we really know for sure. The 30 was probably an inflation-adjusted price for 3X beaver content, but the 120 is tougher to guess - if it was sold about the same time as the 30, then it was likely a much higher beaver content - up to 100%. If it was sold 10 - 15 years after the 30, it may be the same thing as the 30 - an inflation adjusted price for 3X beaver content. We don't know for sure what 3X beaver content was, but it would have been a blend with enough beaver content to make a difference, such as a third of the content, but we don't know for sure.

MTL, what an awesome lid! I have been able to collect some nice western Resistols but have never landed a Resistol fedora as nice as that one, nice color, felt looks really great.

jlee562

I'll Lock Up
Maybe it's that "self-conforming" sweatband they trumpeted in their ads, including the famous one we've seen here with Humphrey Bogart. My near-stingy brim model from the early Sixties is excellent in that regard. So are my two OR-style Resistols. They really were the unsung gems of yesteryear's hat world.

Shh, don't let too many people in on the secret!

Mm25

One Too Many

I don't know this hats history, but the felt is very light and holds any shape effortlessly. It's one of my favorites. The box it came in says it was a San Antonio with a fac# A77703 but I don't know what that means.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up

I don't know this hats history, but the felt is very light and holds any shape effortlessly. It's one of my favorites. The box it came in says it was a San Antonio with a fac# A77703 but I don't know what that means.

awesome .. now how about a pic where we can actually see the hat ;)

barrowjh

One Too Many
San Antonios are awesome! Resistol's version of the OR/Stratoliner. I think they were standard uniform for Dallas detectives, the pics from the Kennedy assassination where detectives are wearing such hats - those are almost certainly San Antonios. The 3X Beaver San Antonio is really an awesome, comfortable hat, and that style goes with anything anywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy