Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Resistol Roundup

Florida_Marlin

One of the Regulars
Old Resistol Western, melorol, 7-1/8, rotted sweat. Took a 1970's Resistol 3X sweat I had laying around, steamed and reblocked on my vintage 7-1/4 block. Sewed in sweat and applied a 1-1/2 in grosgrain ribbon. Hand creased. Looks like I can wear this one brim up/down. I like em both!
8JwseKV.jpg
hqnGKd8.jpg
CElTRBa.jpg
9ewqOhf.jpg

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Need some help dating this Resistol, 60's maybe? Also, there is no model name embossed on the sweat - San Antonio, maybe? The leather sweat only says Resistol Self Conforming, not even a hatshop logo. The hat appears to be unworn and in very good condition.

View attachment 127309 View attachment 127311 View attachment 127312 View attachment 127313 View attachment 127314
The liner is unlike any I have seen, the Byer Rolnick on the liner tip indicates pre 1968. The union tag dates it as post 1958, as Resistol did not unionize until 1958.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Wyldkarma

One Too Many
The liner is unlike any I have seen, the Byer Rolnick on the liner tip indicates pre 1968. The union tag dates it as post 1958, as Resistol did not unionize until 1958.

Thanks DD. So, probably 60's was my guess, good to know. Yes, I have not seen that liner either so I was confused. I have several other older Resistols but they mostly have red liners. Thanks again.

Thanks DD. So, probably 60's was my guess, good to know. Yes, I have not seen that liner either so I was confused. I have several other older Resistols but they mostly have red liners. Thanks again.

I don't think it qualifies as a SA, if 033 is the block. Pretty sure SAs are either 484 or 424 (don't have access to my records right now).

Though I've seen and own white liners, that's a bit different.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Need some help dating this Resistol, 60's maybe? Also, there is no model name embossed on the sweat - San Antonio, maybe? The leather sweat only says Resistol Self Conforming, not even a hatshop logo. The hat appears to be unworn and in very good condition.

View attachment 127309 View attachment 127311 View attachment 127312 View attachment 127313 View attachment 127314

Yeah its a San Antonio , I've seen a couple of liners like that , its a Byer Rolnick Resistol (early) liner . I guess its a 2 5/8" brim , but I think there were 2 3/4" and more made .

Jerry Probst

One of the Regulars
I found this Resistol Kitten Fifteen complete with a Cavanagh Edge and wind trolly today in an estate sale. This is the second one I've found, and, happily, unlike the first, it's my size.

The hat body, edge, finish, and ribbon are perfect. The only condition problems are some discoloration of the liner and the threads holding the sweat band in place have deteriorated and given way from age.

I would like some help dating this hat. Unlike the first one, I found this has a different, and I believe older liner. The liner is destinctive because it has the peculiar angular "Os" in the words "Resistol" and "Conforming".

I've scoured this thread and have found several photos posted with the same liner. It is usually dated "1930s-40s" but nothing more specific. It was originally a center dent, but I like to wear mine with teardrops. It's brim measures 2 1/2" and the crown is 6" when open.

Can anyone narrow the dates when this liner was in use? I'm fine with whatever date, but my impression is pre-WWII.

I really love these Kitten fifteens, and because it fits ...It's a keeper. One nice thing about living in Dallas, The Hatco Factory in Garland will repair any of their brands. A sweat band and liner repair are $25, I think. I read the gold color in the liner is very fragile. Because of the discoloration of the liner, can anyone confirm that ... and should I get the liner cleaned?
IMG_5503.jpg
IMG_5510.jpg
IMG_5496.jpg
IMG_5499.jpg
IMG_5500.jpg
IMG_5492.jpg
IMG_5493.jpg
IMG_5498.jpg

Desert dog

If it were me, I would not risk cleaning the liner. That is a very nice hat! I am interested in the date also. It appears similar to my San Antonio, without the gold.
I found this Resistol Kitten Fifteen complete with a Cavanagh Edge and wind trolly today in an estate sale. This is the second one I've found, and, happily, unlike the first, it's my size.

The hat body, edge, finish, and ribbon are perfect. The only condition problems are some discoloration of the liner and the threads holding the sweat band in place have deteriorated and given way from age.

I would like some help dating this hat. Unlike the first one, I found this has a different, and I believe older liner. The liner is destinctive because it has the peculiar angular "Os" in the words "Resistol" and "Conforming".

I've scoured this thread and have found several photos posted with the same liner. It is usually dated "1930s-40s" but nothing more specific. It was originally a center dent, but I like to wear mine with teardrops. It's brim measures 2 1/2" and the crown is 6" when open.

Can anyone narrow the dates when this liner was in use? I'm fine with whatever date, but my impression is pre-WWII.

I really love these Kitten fifteens, and because it fits ...It's a keeper. One nice thing about living in Dallas, The Hatco Factory in Garland will repair any of their brands. A sweat band and liner repair are $25, I think. I read the gold color in the liner is very fragile. Because of the discoloration of the liner, can anyone confirm that ... and should I get the liner cleaned? View attachment 128458 View attachment 128459 View attachment 128460 View attachment 128462 View attachment 128463 View attachment 128464 View attachment 128465 View attachment 128466
c6cd3d07baec41f20a6fdb01bb412571.jpg

Jerry Probst

One of the Regulars
If it were me, I would not risk cleaning the liner. That is a very nice hat! I am interested in the date also. It appears similar to my San Antonio, without the gold.
c6cd3d07baec41f20a6fdb01bb412571.jpg

Thanks for your advice on the liner.

My sense, based on the liner design, like I said, is pre-WWII. I'm thinking late 30s. I've seen this liner inside what look to be Stratoliner knock offs. What do you think?

Jerry Probst

One of the Regulars
Check this out.

It''s a Garland Texas Landmark Society piece on Byer Rolnick. In it it discusses Harry ROlnick's close association with Warner Brothers Films. Each Season Warner Brothers was given first look at the Resistol line for that year. The hats were first seen by the public, as worn by Hollywood stars, in the theaters.

Coincidentally, I found several advertisements showing Humphrey Bogart, a Warner Brothers Star, hawking Resistol Hats. Pretty cool, eh? So, the next time you watch The Maltese Falcon or The Petrified Forest ... that's a Resistol Hat you are looking at.

http://www.garlandhistorical.org/on...gn-innovations-put-byer-rolnick-ahead-of-rest

Bogart 1.jpg
Bogart 2.jpg

Desert dog

I don't know, you could be right. I thought mine may have been late forties/early fifties. Maybe some other Resistol fans know and can shed some light.
Thanks for your advice on the liner.

My sense, based on the liner design, like I said, is pre-WWII. I'm thinking late 30s. I've seen this liner inside what look to be Stratoliner knock offs. What do you think?

Jerry Probst

One of the Regulars
Well, I'm having second thoughts ... lol. My initial response was based on the font used in the liner. The angular letters and those odd shaped angular "Os" reminded me of Arts and Crafts fonts that were too old fashioned to be used after the war. But, on further searching I found those "Os" in a font called Postmodern One. The font used in the liner appears to be a mishmash of two different fonts. But that would not be unusual on labels in the fashion world.

The Postmodern font would place the label design most likely in the mid to late 40s or early 50s.
postmodern-one-lower.png

Notice the "B" and the "R" inside the shield and the angular "Os".
IMG_5496.jpg
Hey! You have to use clues where you can find them ... and, of course, I could always be wrong. lol

Attachments

• IMG_5496.jpg
    IMG_5496.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 109
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner