Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

the retro episodes of shows

ShooShooBaby

One Too Many
Amy Jeanne said:
Not really a retro episode, but does anyone else remember that very short-lived TV show called Hi, Honey I'm Home!?? About 1991ish?

http://imdb.com/title/tt0101116/

It involved a 50s sitcom family who was transported into modern day 1990s by the "Sitcom Relocation Program." It was corny, but very cute!

"hi, honey i'm home!
we were once a sitcom family,
on the black and white tv,
now we're off the air..."

why do i still remember quite a bit of that theme song? i LOVED that show!

MissHuff

A-List Customer
happyfilmluvguy said:
There have been a few Nicktoons like The Rugrats, Hey Arnold, and Rocko's Modern Life that have had a 30s or 40s episode.

In the Rugrats, there was an episode that took us back to the 50s when Grandpa owned a repair shop and Stu (Tommy's dad) and Drew (Angelica's dad) fought to watch a Rocky and Bullwinkle parody. In Rocko's Modern Life, Heffer's step-grandpa see's a woman on a cruise ship he knew and takes us back to the 40s when he met her. In Hey Arnold, his grandpa is always talking about the past (1930s, 40s, and 50s) and a few flashbacks appear every so often. See any resemblance to all these episodes?

Quantum Leap was all about retro episodes, but they never went earlier than the mid 50s :(

There was also an episode of The Rugrats that was noir themed. While listening to an old radio show "The Masked Detective" with Grandpa, the kids go off on a very noir adventure for the "Malties Woodchuck" that's full of malted milk balls. I thought it was a very cute episode.

manton

A-List Customer
John in Covina said:
There also was a newsreel or cartoon of "Nazi Supermen Are our Masters" in one Simpsons episode.
Not exactly. The line is from the episode in which the family travels to the Itchy and Scratchy Land amusement park. The kids watch a biopic of Roger Meyers (creator of the cartoon characters Itchy and Scratchy) in which the narator says that Roger Meyers got into trouble for his controversial film "Nazi Supermen Are Our Superiors." They don't show the film but the do show footage of Meyers shaking hands with Hitler.

There are actually a ton of flashbacks in The Simpsons. Off the top of my head, I can recall flashbacks featuring Truman, Ike, Nixon, and Kennedy.

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
There was a Magnum P.I. episode called, Flashback, in which he has a very realistic dream that he is living in 1936 Hawaii. Its been a long time since I've seen this, but I remember enjoying it at the time.

happyfilmluvguy

Call Me a Cab
MissHuff said:
There was also an episode of The Rugrats that was noir themed. While listening to an old radio show "The Masked Detective" with Grandpa, the kids go off on a very noir adventure for the "Malties Woodchuck" that's full of malted milk balls. I thought it was a very cute episode.

Yes that too! Maltese Falcon spoof :)
After watching Nickelodeon for so many years, I learned that they recycled plots for a lot of their shows, but altered each of them to fit the characters and setting of each show. Interesting how it worked.

There was an episode of Hey Arnold that spoofed the War Of The Worlds broadcast as well.

DavidVillaJr said:
If you remember the premise, he could only timetravel within his own lifetime/lifespan....

Since it was in the near future then, he could only go back as far as the 50's cause that's when he was born..:p

Yeah, I'm a geek.....;)

dv

Yes...too bad. Every time I watch the show I still wonder what he'd have in store if he could go back further. Geeks are smart.

Rosie

One Too Many
There was an episode of That's So Raven (my nieces were here and there was a marathon) that was set in the 40's it was cute but I don't remember it that well.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
Along the same lines, there was the episode of The Cosby Show where the family dressed up in vintage-style garb and lip-synched "The Night Time Is the Right Time."

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Not Golden Era but ThirtySomething did a holiday show called "The Mike Van Dyke Show" where Michael finds himself in an episode of the Dick Van Dyke Show. Quite cleverly done, especially with Gary (known for his flowing locks) playing the bald boss in DVD.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
I brought home the "Magnum, P.I." 1936 episode. I never knew about it. Thanks, Mike 1939:eusa_clap
It brought back memories of ads for "Murder She Wrote" episodes that took place in the Golden Age. Does anyone know about those?

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Mike1939

One of the Regulars
The Wolf said:
I brought home the "Magnum, P.I." 1936 episode. I never knew about it. Thanks, Mike 1939:eusa_clap
It brought back memories of ads for "Murder She Wrote" episodes that took place in the Golden Age. Does anyone know about those?

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Your welcome. Glad to here that episode is available. :)

RetroMom

One of the Regulars
The Wolf said:

Sincerely,
The Wolf

I don't know if this is the one you are thinking of, but I think in '87, there was an episode that was called "The Days Dwindle Down", that starred many of the original cast of a movie made in the late '40s called "Strange Bargain", about a man arrested and convicted of murdering his boss.

The Wolf

Call Me a Cab
Thank you, Retro Mom

I forgot about that one. I'll have to watch that one. Especially since local boy Harry Morgan is in it.
The one I saw a clip of had Robert Vaughn in it. After some digging in Google I found the episode is called "A Grand Old Lady" and takes place in 1947. Now I need to see that one too.:D

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Jay

Practically Family
My favorite is probably "Roswell that ends well," the retro episode of Futurama. It takes place in 1947, explaining what "actually" happened. I thought it was really well done.

Example:
Salesman: Microwave? Never heard of that brand, sweetheart. What you want is the "Deluxe Gas Princess". This beauty has four broilers, a casserole indicator, a fold-out ironing board and, down here, a foot-soaking tub. Since, as a woman, you'll be standing in front of it all day.

Leela opens the oven door on his knee

Leela: Oh, I'm sorry. Now I'll aks you again: Where can we find a mi-cro-wave?

Salesman: Sir, your wife's hysterical, so I'll address this to you. This oven is lightning fast. It takes only five hours to cook a roast.

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Wolf said:

Sincerely,
The Wolf

Yes indeed - Murder She Wrote had one episode set on the Queen Mary in the late 30's called The Grand Old Lady. It was just on a couple of weeks ago on A&E one afternoon, so it'll be awhile before it comes up in the rotation again (A&E airs them in order). It was one of the episodes with no Jessica Fletcher - she introduced the episode and June Havoc started as a mystery writer as well as film noir star Dane Clark. In the details, it's noted it was was originally written as an episode of Ellery Queen that was never filmed. And another tie to the Golden Age - June Havoc was Gypsy Rose Lee's sister and the real life "Baby June" AKA "Dainty June" from the musical Gypsy, and still hanging in there at 94 years old.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theartboxstore