Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Riddler Died

STHill

One of the Regulars
Of course I remember him as the Riddler, but I also have a vague memory (I'm 47) of seeing him on Ed Sullivan doing his impressions. Used to show up on Carson from time to time. Very funny guy.

Kentucky Blues

A-List Customer
I was pretty sad to hear Frank Gorshin died...I never really got to see anything other than his Riddler...best riddler there ever was in my opinion.

Gorshin has been around quite a while in the entertainment business. My parents went to see him at the Venetian Room in San Francisco before they were married---so it has been a while. :p
He was the riddler and a good impressionist. I also remember him for his role in an episode of Star Trek where he played the man with half of his face white and the other black. The other warring faction had the same half and half colored faces but the sides were reversed. They ended up killing each other---a whole planet worth of people. :kick:
See, it even made remember that episode so he must be famous. :p

Regards to all,

J

zeus36

A-List Customer
Frank Gorshin just had a cameo shortly before his death on CSI with Tony Curtis, and they dedicated the episode to him.

Do anyone remember the variety show called Copy Cats he co-starred on with Rich Little?

Mycroft

One Too Many
zeus36 said:
Frank Gorshin just had a cameo shortly before his death on CSI with Tony Curtis, and they dedicated the episode to him.

Do anyone remember the variety show called Copy Cats he co-starred on with Rich Little?

Which episisode of CSI?

zeus36

A-List Customer
The episode was called "Grave Danger" where one of the CSI team gets buried alive. Tony Curtis had a cameo together with Frank in the opening of the episode. Directed by Quentin Tarantino.

Series: 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation'
Episode Title: 'Grave Danger'
Episode Number: 524
Synopsis: "After learning that a member of their team has been kidnapped and buried alive, the two CSI teams come together to try to save one of their own."

Original Airdate: May 19, 2005

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Good bye Frank!

He was best known for the "Riddler", and he was in the Star Trek episode mentioned above (I watched it original, and then in many re-runs). However, he was my favorite in his Ed Sullivan and other shows where he did impressions. He did one of the best "Kirk Douglas" that I have ever seen. This man truly had a gift, of not just taking on the "voice", but he could contort his face magically to look like and add to the magic of the impression.

zeus36

A-List Customer
Mycroft said:
Loved the episode, just saw it, a masterpiece, who did he play?

He played himself in the opening sequence with Tony Curtis.

The variety show was called " Kopy Kats" and it ran a brief time in the early 70's. Mostly short skits with the prominent impersonators of the period and musical numbers. 5 or 6 people were in the cast. I can remember Rich Little and Frank, there was a woman that did a great Barbara Streisand impression, and an older guy that did gangsters... but that's all I can remember.

Andykev

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
ABC COMEDY HOUR

"The ABC Comedy Hour" (1972) [TV-Series]

John Aylesworth (writer)
Frank Peppiatt (writer)

Credited cast:
Joe Baker ....
Charlie Callas ....
Frank Gorshin ....
George Kirby ....
Rich Little ....
Marilyn Michaels ....
Fred Travalena ....

Also Known As:
ABC Comedy Hour Presents the Kopycats (USA) (rerun title)
Runtime: 60 min
Language: English

The finest impressionists in comedy skits spoofing movies and TV series was a forerunner to Saturday Night Live's parody skits. Memorable parodies included ALL IN THE FAMILY with George Kirby (an African-American) as Archie Bunker and Marilyn Michaels as Edith. Marilyn Michaels was the only woman in the group and played most female roles ranging from Gracie Allen (with Rich Little as George Burns) to Lily Tomlin to Barbara Streisand. She had a strong singing voice and made music a major part of her solo skits. Niteclub favorite Frank Gorshin (The Riddler on TV's BATMAN) was noted for doing Kirk Douglas, Burt Lancaster, and Peter Faulk (as COLUMBO). Rich Little soon rose as the lead star and introduced new characterizations each week. Quite simply, he could do anyone. Though many of the Kopycats did the same impressions there was a real support system evident as if they belonged to a special club, which they did. In fact, "dueling impressions" was a frequent source of comedy. In one episode Raymond Burr (PERRY MASON, IRONSIDE) was the guest and each of the Kopycats surrounded Burr with their impression of him. Rich Little and Frank Gorshin were the best in the country and it was a marvel to seem them work together and with such able support from the rest of the cast. It seemed that everyone in the country was doing impressions of Rich Little doing someone else, Rich Little's Richard Nixon perhaps the most famous. Rich Little introduced young impressionist Fred Travalena on the show who seemed destined to walk in Little's shoes equally adept at comedy and singing parodies from Jim Nabors (both as squeeky Gomer Pyle and his baritone singing voice) to Glen Cambell. Impressionists have never been better or funnier.

Mr. Sable

A-List Customer
I had a loopy friend who 'had relations' with Gorshin about twelve years ago (she was probably 23-24 at the time) when he was in town doing some dinner theatre thing. We thought that was pretty weird, but it made them both happy.

He was pretty cool. I liked him in "12 Monkeys" as well.

Michael Mallory

One of the Regulars
CopyCats

I remember "CopyCats" well. It was a bizarre (by today's standards) but fun show starring the top impressionists of the day. Impressionism is kind of a lost art these days, except for SNL and comedy shows, but in the 70s it thrived. Frank Gorshin had a truly ecclectic career: he shows up in late 50s sci-fi movies, such as "Invasion of the Saucer Men," in straight acting roles, and on variety shows of the era (like Sullivan...and he was on the show when the Beatles debuted) as an impressionist. He even did Broadway musicals. Later, he did soap operas. Way back when, versatility was an asset.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda