Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Right Slip

Snookie

Practically Family
Irena said:
Do any of you ladies make your own slips? I know Elaina mentioned making her own, and I was wondering if there are any tricks or guidelines to follow (with the fabrics). I am thinking about making myself a slip from flannel for the winter. Is this practical?

A flannel slip? I've never heard of that before. Is it to help keep warm? Usually slips are made from slippery fabric, like silk or nylon, which is thinner and won't show lines as much, and won't cling to your clothes (hopefully!). The other thing is that these fabrics conform to the body shape better than flannel, so they don't have to be fit as carefully. But I'm all for experimenting - why not?

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
Irena said:
Do any of you ladies make your own slips? I know Elaina mentioned making her own, and I was wondering if there are any tricks or guidelines to follow (with the fabrics). I am thinking about making myself a slip from flannel for the winter. Is this practical?

Flannel sure sounds warm, but like Snookie, I wonder if you might have a problem with cling. It seems flannel would have a tendency to grip whatever was on top of it. I guess it would depend on what you wear it with, though. A heavier fabric might be able to take it.

Experiment, though, and let us know how it goes!

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Do you wear a slip with a lined skirt?

For those of you gals that wear slips, do you wear them with lined clothes? I was putting on a lined skirt today and this thought occurred to me. I know the reasoning behind wearing slips is to give a more smooth and finished look, but with the skirt being lined, doesn't it already give a smooth look?
Inquiring minds want to know...

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I wear a slip under all dresses and skirts, lined or not, even in the dead of summer; the extra layer helps smooth out any foundation garment bumps and I feel odd not wearing a slip. Most of my 1940s-50s lined wool pencil skirts are only lined on the back anyway, so even though the skirt may be thick enough to go without a slip, the fabric is too scratchy to do so.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Thanks, gals, for your input in my slip conundrum. I'm allergic to wool, that is, it really irritates my skin, so I always wear a slip with a wool skirt because while the skirt part may be lined, sometimes the waistband is not. Actually, a lot of "scratchy" fabrics bother me, so I do wear a lot of slips. Today I'm wearing a linen pencil skirt and it is fully lined. The temps are very spring-like here and I don't need that extra layer of warmth. And my natural curves are more noticeable than any foundation bumps, so I'm not worrying about that.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I often wear a full slip, regardless of any lining in a skirt, depending on the blouse I'm wearing with it -- I don't like to show bra straps thru a white blouse, and the slip prevents that. (I've never cared much for camisoles, because it's one more thing to come untucked from the skirt...)

olive bleu

One Too Many
i only ever wear a slip if i absolutely HAVE to. I don't know what's up with my
Derrierre, but, whenever i wear a slip, it ends up around my waist!:D

Clara Noir

Familiar Face
I wear a slip if the fabric is nasty or very thin. Linings are often quite sheer, and coupled with a sheer skirt...well, the only foundation I like to be visible is on my face [huh]

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
LizzieMaine said:
I often wear a full slip, regardless of any lining in a skirt, depending on the blouse I'm wearing with it -- I don't like to show bra straps thru a white blouse, and the slip prevents that. (I've never cared much for camisoles, because it's one more thing to come untucked from the skirt...)

Lizzie, are your slip straps wide? All my straps are thin and adjustable, and don't do a darn thing for hiding my bra straps. I, too, hate having my bra straps show, I feel so .... un-classy.

::goes on the hunt for a new slip::

But yes, I do often wear a slip with a skirt. I am very sensative to itchy fabrics as well, and if the waist band isn't lined, I must wear something to protect my skin. Otherwise I do a rather unflattering wiggle/dance all day :D

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
No. Most of my skirts are either lined or made of thick fabric. With the one or two I have that are neither, I wear tap pants.

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
olive bleu said:
i only ever wear a slip if i absolutely HAVE to. I don't know what's up with my
Derrierre, but, whenever i wear a slip, it ends up around my waist!:D

I have a skirt whose lining does that.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
GoldLeaf,
I don't know if this would work for your strap problem, http://www.acmenotions.com/pinsnshstgu.html but I can see it would definitely help with my rounded shoulders and my slip continually falling down inside my blouse/dress. They've got a lot of interesting vintage sewing/lingerie repair supplies on this website. From what I can tell, the strap guards look just like some ribbon with a snap and a safety pin on it. I'll bet Lady Day could make one--she's so creative!

LizzieMaine

Bartender
GoldLeaf said:
Lizzie, are your slip straps wide? All my straps are thin and adjustable, and don't do a darn thing for hiding my bra straps. I, too, hate having my bra straps show, I feel so .... un-classy.

::goes on the hunt for a new slip::

Bali (I think) used to have a nice line of slips where the straps were wider than normal, but I haven't seen any of those in stores in years -- about the only full slips I can find nowadays are the JC Penney ones with the adjustable straps like you're talking about.

What I end up doing is try to find bras with thin enough straps that they can hide under the slip strap, which is a whole 'nother adventure. But any slip will, at least, hide the back bra band -- which is definitely not something I like to show off under a thin blouse...

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
BonnieJean said:
GoldLeaf,
I don't know if this would work for your strap problem, http://www.acmenotions.com/pinsnshstgu.html but I can see it would definitely help with my rounded shoulders and my slip continually falling down inside my blouse/dress. They've got a lot of interesting vintage sewing/lingerie repair supplies on this website. From what I can tell, the strap guards look just like some ribbon with a snap and a safety pin on it. I'll bet Lady Day could make one--she's so creative!

What a grand idea! I could do that, it would be easy! I have a problem my straps staying up, also. I started wearing racerbacks because the straps stay up, but that style doesn't work with everything. Many thanks for the idea! :eusa_clap

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
BonnieJean said:
GoldLeaf,

I have this same problem and find that 1940s slips (and bras, for that matter) tend to have the straps set in closer and at an angle, so they don't slip at all. It makes a big difference!

Also, I once had someone tell me to knot the top of each strap to further shorten it; this also helps and is a very simple solution.

BonnieJean

Practically Family
Well, I just ordered a pair of those strap holders. I'll let you know if they work. I have slight scoliosis in my spine. Just enough to have rounded shoulders and everything falls off my shoulders--even elastic bra straps. When I was a kid, my mom used to yell at me telling me to stand up straight. I can do that if I'm really concentrating, but then I go back to my natural stand. It wasn't until I was an adult and had a chest x-ray that they noticed the scoliosis. I felt vindicated for all the years of being accused of being lazy!

But the straps falling down is getting to be a problem. First the slip strap will fall and then the bra strap will fall. I've tried shortening the strap, tying a knot, lengthening the strap, etc. nothing works for very long. I'm forever doing a jig trying to put them back in place. This little idea sounds like my days of jig dancing/strap straightening will be over. I don't think I've ever seen anything like this in modern stores. I'm thinking if I had the real thing in front of me, then it will be simpler to duplicate more of the strap holders. Someone was ingenious when they thought of these!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav