Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Right Slip

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
BonnieJean, I absolutely live for those little strap holders! Only I make my own... I once found them built-into a (modern) dress I bought, and loved them so much I made some of my own from sturdy ribbon and spare snaps-- I now sew or tack them into any shirt or dress that I'm brave enough to alter, vintage or otherwise. But as for putting up with visible straps through sheer blouses and the like, I've just resigned myself to living with them or wearing something over it. [huh] Any advice?

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
And I thought I was the only one with slip problems. lol

I wear slips to keep my skirts from iching up from friction of stockings and the like :rage: but I wish I had some slips with sleeves so I could stop with the cursed dress shields!

Maybe Ill make some with the 'spippery' fabric for the slip, bit a cotton wide cut neck with sleeves for the top :rolleyes:

*goes off to look at patterns to alter*

LD

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Adelaidey said:
BonnieJean, I absolutely live for those little strap holders! Only I make my own... I once found them built-into a (modern) dress I bought, and loved them so much I made some of my own from sturdy ribbon and spare snaps-- I now sew or tack them into any shirt or dress that I'm brave enough to alter, vintage or otherwise. But as for putting up with visible straps through sheer blouses and the like, I've just resigned myself to living with them or wearing something over it. [huh] Any advice?
I wear this under a sheer blouse. http://www.maidenform.com/catalog/p...Id=6&wtlCategory=Clearance&parentCategoryId=6

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
I always wear a slip. Mostly half slips because I can't seem to find a decent full slip. And to avoid my bra showing in blouses, I usually wear a nude color bra. It seems to be much less noticeable.

GoldLeaf

A-List Customer
I have a tank top that is designed to be worn as an undergarment that has a built in under wire bra. I hate the shelf bras that were popular a few years back, I am not well endowed, and they smooshed me flat as a board. I like that tank top quite a bit; I got it in a few colors from New York and Company. The nude color gets worn often. It works well for sheer blouses as well.

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Miss Sis said:
Lots of people won't wear skin coloured bras because they think they are too 'old lady' but they are good under lots of things.

I guess we aren't worried about being old lady-ified in here. :)

Oh, Im certified old lady-ified ;)

LD

Paisley

I'll Lock Up
:eek:fftopic:

Miss Sis said:
Lots of people won't wear skin coloured bras because they think they are too 'old lady' but they are good under lots of things.

Whaaaat? They're perfect under white blouses. JCPenney and Lands' End make some good underwire bras that are pretty comfortable.

Adelaidey

One of the Regulars
Almost all of my bras are nude colored just for that reason, but I still always have trouble with seeing straps through sheers.
A garment like that is a great idea, Beguine, but I've tried so many like that, and they never support me very well (36D)-- I always end up hiking them up every few minutes! lol

As for slips, I never can find decent ones at Salv. Army or Goodwill, but I've found the best store ever here in Chicago called Ragstock that carries some vintage and lots of cheap modern overstock-- I've found so many good slips there, for around $4. I think they also have locations in Minnesota, if any ladies are up there... Ragstock is definitely worth a look!

I try to wear a slip under almost all my dresses and some skirts-- I just feel like it provides a smoother line, I feel more put together, and confident that there will be fewer mishaps of too much showing in the war of ''Chicago Winds vs. Adelaide's Skirts''! lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vladyslav