Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The sad case of the pipe smoker and the pot heads.

Tiller

Practically Family
Maybe it is because I am only 23, and most of my friends are about my age or younger, but I constantly have this problem when I'm at a party at someones house. Just this Saturday I was at my cousin's house who was throwing a part. Well I was there I lit up one of my cheap Kaywoodie's with a perique tobacco mix that I got from the local tobacconist.

Not forty seconds after placing the match to the briar I got four young long haired, pot smoking, hippie wannabes coming up to me. "What's in that man?" "Is it some God crap!" "That smells like high grade weed!" Among over comments.

I responded with "Are you guys out of your %^*@($# minds? You can't tell the difference between the smell of pot, and fine tobacco?":rage:

Now normally I have no problem with pot heads, or any other uses of any drugs as long as they don't bother me with it, but they continued by saying that their is no way I am smoking tobacco. Then demanding that I let them "take a hit to prove it!", well attempting to grab at my pipe :rage:. By this time I was about ready to fight, because I don't take kindly to basically being called a liar, and being told what to do with my own stuff by a bunch of young strangers, when some of my friends began to gather around me. :)offtopic: It's usually not a good idea to try to start something with the owner of the houses family. Obviously besides the fine art of pipe smoking this was another lesson in life their parents never taught them.lol) We all then insulted them on their inability to tell the difference between pot and tobacco (among other insults that should not be stated in front of proper ladies and children:p ), and the four young morons soon backed down and left after I threatened one guy to make the first move. (I later found out that they were "friends" of one of my cousin's ex's brother who showed up.)

Now admittedly perique is as far away as most people well ever get from the aromatics that most pipe smokers tend to smoke. But honestly it smells nothing like pot!

Does anyone else have any stories similar to this? Or am I the only one who has dealt with it?

:eek:fftopic: Even if I was a pot head though, I still wouldn't have shared do to their outright rudeness. You don't just demand to take a puff off of a man's pipe, and then attempt to physically take it out of his hand.

Geesie

Practically Family
Heh, my story is almost an opposite of yours.

Back in college, some ROTC friends and I were out in the woods around a bonfire and I pulled out my corncob. The one next to me, his eyes widened and he said "Hey man, we're not into that stuff!"

As soon as I lit it, though, the aroma of the smoke made it certain that things were "on the level" so to speak.

lairddouglas

Familiar Face
Pipe and the Pot

Smoked a pipe all through college and can't tell you the number of times someone thought I was going to light up some of that stuff.

After 30 seconds they realized I was smoking some primo tobacco not Primo Pot.

I did love my pipes. Had a bad chest infection 4 years back and gave up the pipe. Though I still keep a dry pipe in the car for those tense drives into work ... nothing relaxes me like the feeling of a pipe even if not lit.

KilroyCD

One Too Many
I remember being at a party (in the mid 1980s), smoking some Cherry Cavendish in my Dr Grabow "Duke" (the same one I'm holding in my avatar) when some pot-head tried to stuff some weed into it. He didn't get too far.

Tiller

Practically Family
Marc Chevalier said:
Imagine how those bebop potheads of the 1940s felt when some square at a party mistook their pipe weed for tobacco. lol ;)

Well I'm sure they would have said the same thing I did. The fact that they couldn't tell the difference was at first just mildly funny (Anyone who has been around pot and tobacco should be able to tell the difference in at the most 5 seconds. For those that haven't been around it should take about 20 seconds.). When they attempted to take my pipe from me, and basically called me a liar, because I informed them exactly what it was, is when I really became upset.

Gaige

One of the Regulars
The pipe is an amazing thing.

I've had my share of people thinking I was going to light up some weed... of course, their fears were unfounded.

What I've noticed, though, is the overwhelmingly positive feedback most people give in regards to the aroma. Folks just love it. I can't say the same for my cigars.

CigarMan

One of the Regulars
I can't say I've had that experience yet, but working as a tobacconist, I've encountered several youngsters coming in looking for pipes to smoke things other than fine pipe tobacco. Have even had some flat out tell me what it's for and wanted to know what pipe would be best. Being the fine salesman that I am, I naturally geared them towards our higher end pipes. You should have seen the look of amazement on their faces when I told them that this would make their "tobacco" smoke very, very well. Needless to say, upon looking a the prices, they ended up walking out with a corncob saying, "can you imagine how much weed I could get for those prices". oh well, que sera, sera . . .

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
Gaige said:
What I've noticed, though, is the overwhelmingly positive feedback most people give in regards to the [pipe tobacco] aroma. Folks just love it.

In my long-ago single days, back when smoking was still allowed in Los Angeles nightspots, my lit pipe was a lady magnet. Amazing how many sidled up and purred, "Oh, that smells so good! My [dad, granddad, uncle, older male loved one from my formative years] used to smoke a pipe. Mmmm ..."

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
Marc Chevalier said:
In my long-ago single days, back when smoking was still allowed in Los Angeles nightspots, my lit pipe was a lady magnet. Amazing how many sidled up and purred, "Oh, that smells so good! My [dad, granddad, uncle, older male loved one from my formative years] used to smoke a pipe. Mmmm ..."

Very, very true Sir; I remember it well. Mrs. Bentley is still a fan.

Tiller, first off Sir Kudos in smoking a pipe at the age of 23. No intention of being condescending, but you're a rare breed.

I smoked a pipe throughout university and I would occasionally get some such comments and requests; but hey, no one else get's to try my briar.

But I've never met anyone that couldn't tell the difference, even my mother-in-law knows what pop smells like, a greenhouse growing it burnt down a few months ago and she was the first to notice.
I did have a gentleman who was quite persistent in wanting to try my pipe, we on a pirate-themed "riverboat shuffle" at the time, but I gave him a small cigarello and he scuttled off.

Ah well everyone needs a good "house party face-off" anecdote. :)

Geesie

Practically Family
Speaking of pipes at a young age, I guess I was lucky. In college, I had a handful of friends who noticed my pipe smoking and decided to join in. So many evenings on the dorm balcony there were a handful of pipes and cigars (and every so often, a bottle of cognac when the RA was known to be absent...)

DerMann

Practically Family
Some may find this quote interesting:

'In his new book, Good Medicine, Great Sex, author David Ford recounts the time he interviewed Bing Crosby in 1962. After the formal interview was over, Ford asked Crosby if "at home you might put a little grass in your famous pipe?"

As Ford tells it: "He looked me right in the eyes and rewarded me with a generous grin and a wink."'

If a pothead can't tell the difference between tobacco and pot, they're a disgrace to the name.

That being said, briar and corncob pipes are less than ideal...

conrad5157

One of the Regulars
Tiller said:
Not forty seconds after placing the match to the briar I got four young long haired, pot smoking, hippie wannabes coming up to me. "What's in that man?" "Is it some God crap!" "That smells like high grade weed!"

You should have said "yes it is" , then given them a good shotgun.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I was at an alumni bonfire (my high school was great) and I pulled out my pipe, shortly followed by a bag of homegrown tobacco, because I had been working on a historical tobacco farm all summer. That got me a bit of flack, luckily I had enough of a reputation as a straight shooter to keep it in check.

Story

I'll Lock Up
conrad5157 said:
You should have said "yes it is" , then given them a good shotgun.

Or told them it's "the best to be found in the Shire" and charged them $20 a hit.

bilbo2.jpg

Never let your emotions get in the way of profiting from a bunch of nitwits. ;)

Tiller

Practically Family
I am proud to report, that I have had no problems with anyone regarding my pipe tobacco since that night lol, and have had some good conversations with a few pot heads about the fine art of pipe smoking since that event. Some people were just looking for a fight that night, as I look back now.

DerMann said:
Some may find this quote interesting:

'In his new book, Good Medicine, Great Sex, author David Ford recounts the time he interviewed Bing Crosby in 1962. After the formal interview was over, Ford asked Crosby if "at home you might put a little grass in your famous pipe?"

As Ford tells it: "He looked me right in the eyes and rewarded me with a generous grin and a wink."'

If a pothead can't tell the difference between tobacco and pot, they're a disgrace to the name.

That being said, briar and corncob pipes are less than ideal...

You have to remember that Crosby's wife was killed, because of her alcoholism (or atleast that's what he believed), and that he had a problem with booze when he was younger. He hated booze, so it's no surprise that he moved onto something else. The rumor is that it was Louise Armstrong who turned Crosby to pot, back when it was legal. Crosby stopped smoking his pipe altogether in 74' and died three years later.

Tiller

Practically Family
Story said:
Never let your emotions get in the way of profiting from a bunch of nitwits. ;)

Some words of wisdom to live by for sure ;). Looking back I was more shocked and annoyed that it happened, and was still a bit emotional about the situation when I wrote the post. No one has ever bothered me before, and I always thought stoners were suppose to be laid back, not the fighting type. But oh well I'm almost 25 now, and I forgot about that night until this thread had been revived lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails