Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Sand Pebbles

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Great flick. I first saw it in the movies when I was ten years old - and many times since.

I think we discussed it a bit a few months ago here on one of the Steve McQueen threads.

LIVE STEAM!

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Here's McQueen touching on the filming of Sand Pebbles.

[YOUTUBE]AJZISP75SCU[/YOUTUBE]

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
Best Movie Ever

Steve said it was his personal favorite film! I would second that. It fit him the best, at one with machinery, problems relating to humans! Not long before his death, he and his last wife lived in a hanger with his vintage motorcycles, and biplanes! She did make him move into a house in the end, so even he could not find the perfect wife! Oh, and I got to see The Sand Pebbles for the first time in the 60s as God intended, at the drive in!

EmergencyIan

Practically Family
I watched this movie last weekend and though it was very good. I've been taking in quite a few of McQueen's movies as of late.

- Ian

Burton

One of the Regulars
I've been working overseas for a number of years and I think I've lived a lot of scenes in that movie. I have used the movie as a reference for people who dont have overseas experience with Asians on what can happen.

Corto

A-List Customer
I remember getting busted reading the book during Geometry class when I was 16 years old. Great book, great flick. Make sure you check out the China Gunboatman blog for the real deal history of the Yangtze Station. By the way, the US Navy keeps the book on its official reading list for enlisted men. Important book for this day and age where cultural awareness is an operational necessity.

Stearmen

I'll Lock Up
USS Villalobos

Corto said:
I remember getting busted reading the book during Geometry class when I was 16 years old. Great book, great flick. Make sure you check out the China Gunboatman blog for the real deal history of the Yangtze Station. By the way, the US Navy keeps the book on its official reading list for enlisted men. Important book for this day and age where cultural awareness is an operational necessity.
Interesting Blog, is there any information about the USS Villalobos (PG-42), other than the basic dimensions and such? I would love to find plans for her! This is the boat that the Sand Pebble was loosely based on, expecially the opium incident!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran