Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The School of Hard Knox

handlebar bart

Call Me a Cab
jimmy the lid said:
Having mentioned the Stetson Vogue-Style quality of the Knox, I thought I'd take a side-by-side shot with my Stetson 3X (Vogue-style). The Knox has a 5/8" edge binding, and the binding on the 3X is a tad wider at 11/16". On both lids, the edge binding is wider on top, leaving a narrower binding and a row of stitching on the underside of the brim. The ribbon on the 3X is 1 1/2", and the ribbon on the Knox is 1 5/8".

V-Style2.jpg

Cheers,
JtL

See, if I had just those two hats I wouldn't be able to decided which one to wear cause they are both equally amazing. Those are fun to look at Jimmy

buler

I'll Lock Up
Tom n Jerry with concentric stitch rows

From this Dec 1941 ad it appears there was a Tom n Jerry with the concentric stitched rows thru the brim and crown.

B

knox_tom_jerry_small.jpg

Aureliano

I'll Lock Up
buler said:
I have a brown one with a back bow. The liner is sick! I posted it in the classifieds but my wife and Jimmy convinced me of how dumb it'd be to sell it. I kept it :D
I can post pictures, tonight, if you guys wanna see it.

buler

I'll Lock Up
Knox Premier

Got another Premier today. Nice hat with interesting liner attachment buttons. Don't think I've seen these before. I believe they say Pat. Pend. on them.

B

knoxpremier_8.jpg

knoxpremier_5.jpg

knoxpremier_9.jpg

knoxpremier_7.jpg

knoxpremier_6.jpg

knoxpremier_4.jpg

knoxpremier_3.jpg

knoxpremier_2.jpg

knoxpremier_1.jpg

rlk

I'll Lock Up
Super Knox and finish looks outstanding.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap Brad would know best but with those two tags probably near 1940-ish.

Brad Bowers

I'll Lock Up
rlk said:
Super Knox and finish looks outstanding.:eusa_clap :eusa_clap Brad would know best but with those two tags probably near 1940-ish.

I agree about the nice hat, but the date is off by about two decades.

This style of tag was used 1950s and 1960s, and perhaps all the way through 1972.
knoxpremier_1.jpg

The liner attachment patent seems to be this one, and the first I've seen in practice. It uses a dry thermoplastic adhesive resin and a branding iron to fasten the liner into the hat. Since it says Pat. Pend., I think you can safely say your hat was made between April 1957 and December 1962.

Too cool, buler!

Brad

XPLSV

One of the Regulars
Knox Derby

A package was waiting for me when I got home today. While not as old as some of my other derbies, this is the first one I've come across in my 7 3/8 Long Oval. This one really fits well...the stiff hats in the regular oval usually rock on my head, so this one has already been tagged a permanent part of my collection. It's in excellent shape, too.
loderby.jpg

loderby1.jpg

loderby2.jpg

loderby3.jpg

loderby4.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic