Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Shadow

Edward said:
a whole host of Sci Fi heroes and anti-heroes such as ...the T-800...
Hey, who you callin' an "anti-hero"?! None of the Terminators could truly be called "heroes" or "villains", because they were programmed to do what they did, there was no "free will" involved. Although, I'd say the one in T2 was about as heroic as a machine could get... ("We're not talking like Data or KITT or R2D2, where the machine has free will and choices here" is my point.)

Edward

Bartender
Diamondback said:
Hey, who you callin' an "anti-hero"?! None of the Terminators could truly be called "heroes" or "villains", because they were programmed to do what they did, there was no "free will" involved. Although, I'd say the one in T2 was about as heroic as a machine could get... ("We're not talking like Data or KITT or R2D2, where the machine has free will and choices here" is my point.)

Fair point, actually - I dropped the ball on my logic on that one. Ironic, as I've often disputed Luke Skywalker's entitlement to the "hero" tag for most of the star Wars series as for the most part he only does what he is told / circumstance dictates... Ho well!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
image.jpg Saw it again last night. It wears fairly well, except for the villain. Still amazing clothes!

Edward

Bartender
Any word on the Raimi production? He wanted to do it way back when, but the guys behind the Baldwin version already had the rights, so he made Darkman instead... Last I heard, though, he was gunning for a new run at this. I don't know why it didn't spawn more (surely these days it would have been locked into the obligatory trilogy from the off?), unless it flopped at the box office? I don't remember. I do recall taking an afternoon off from the law library and gonig to hte cinema to see it, though - back in 94. Loved it.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
"The Shadow" is one of my favourite fictional characters. I SERIOUSLY think a nice, period-set movie (and something better and more in-depth than the Baldwin production) is long overdue. I think it could make a great movie/TV series.

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
"The Shadow" is one of my favourite fictional characters. I SERIOUSLY think a nice, period-set movie (and something better and more in-depth than the Baldwin production) is long overdue. I think it could make a great movie/TV series.

I wish they'd do a string of them period-set like the Baldwin one, like the string of James Bond movies that have been going since the sixties.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
If it were an option, these days I'd rather see it as a high end tv series.

You know... I have to agree with you... I always felt that The Shadow's backstory, origin and training would be VERY fertile ground for a series. Kind of like they plan to do with "Gotham" this fall. Of course we'll have to see how it all works out. The Shadow preceeded them all... he deserves his due with twin auto's blazing away dealing death and justice with each round!!!

Worf

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
I have enjoyed the radio Shadow with Welles, and have watched the Baldwin movie. It would be great if someone could do a period production. I am thinking if the 24 television show could green-screen southern California into New York City, and if Kerry Conran could make a virtually all green-screen movie, Sky Captain..., then I wish someone would make a miniseries of Lamont Cranston clouding men's minds in order to fight crime. It might work best as a miniseries so that it would match the episodic nature of the pulp stories and the radio shows.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR