Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The snap brim homburg

Feraud

Bartender
I was under the impression the term "snap brim homburg" is a misnomer. My thinking was a Homburg is a stiff hat with a pencil rolled brim pointing upwards.
Mr Rover was kind enough to allow me to browse an issue of Apparel Arts when I came across this page.
DSC01875.jpg

Note the description used on this hat.
DSC01876.jpg

DSC01878.jpg

Check out the "pudding basin"!
DSC01877.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
It could, if you didn't mind a lot of patient steaming and smoothing, ending up with an incongruous look front-to-back.

The homburg in the 30s was a symbol of a certain kind of formal dignity that was still very much alive. It would have been a typical upper crust college boy move to kid that image by turning the stiff front of dad's old hat into a shallow curve.

(Before you think, "oh gimme a break," consider that upper crust college boys in the 30s had to keep their kidding verrry subtle indeed.)

Today the homburg's meaning has been lost. Steaming out the front would just ruin a classic look.

When did the Pudding Basin become known as the teardrop?
And when did pudding ever come in a basin?

Feraud

Bartender
The homburg in the 30s was a symbol of a certain kind of formal dignity that was still very much alive. It would have been a typical upper crust college boy move to kid that image by turning the stiff front of dad's old hat into a shallow curve.

I have reevaluated my opinions on the homburg as a "strictly formal" piece of headwear.

Based on my very limited reading, there were homburgs for different occasions, including informal, sporting events, town events.
No where is the homburg described as being used for formal functions. There was no mention of this as the hat of lawyers, bankers, etc.

Note-
The Black Homburg - Correct for wear with dinner jacket at the semi-formal event, indoor sports at night and town wear.

The Rough Felt Homburg Hat -is correct for town wear with rough suitings or with a spectators sports kit not "country".

The Silk Bound Homburg -is a very dressy hat; it substitutes for the derby as a semi-formal hat for town wear.

I only noted the Silk Top Hat and the Folding Opera Hat of dull merino cloth was noted for formal day and evening/informal wear.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
That's interesting, Feraud.... I was watching Topper the other night and thought Cosmo Topper was putting on a Homburg, which of course fit his "Banker" character, but then he turned down the front of the brim, more like a fedora, so I thought I must be mistaken, because a Homburg brim is always too stiff for that....

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
I have several homburgs. Only one has a snap brim. It is a brown Stetson "Standard Quality" with a 2" brim. It is so shapable, without steam or water, that I presently have it molded as a "pork pie," but in three minutes or less it could be a homburg, again.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
That's remarkable....

J.T.Marcus said:
I have several homburgs. Only one has a snap brim. It is a brown Stetson "Standard Quality" with a 2" brim. It is so shapable, without steam or water, that I presently have it molded as a "pork pie," but in three minutes or less it could be a homburg, again.
I'd love to see that done. :eusa_clap

Feraud

Bartender
dhermann1 said:
I'd like to see what it says about top hats.

The Silk Top Hat - For formal day wear with morning coats and for the very formal evening affairs when the tailcoat is worn.

The Folding Opera Hat of dull merino cloth -correct for either formal or informal evening affairs that are purely social ones.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Feraud said:
The Silk Top Hat - For formal day wear with morning coats and for the very formal evening affairs when the tailcoat is worn.

The Folding Opera Hat of dull merino cloth -correct for either formal or informal evening affairs that are purely social ones.
What about a felt top hat, gret or black?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran