Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The State of the Art in Japanese Outerwear: Freewheelers and Co 2012-13 Collection!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I really some of those upper colour combinations, the turquoise, gold and black is particularly lovely. However, I'm not sure I could get away with them anywhere in Glasgow other than at its version of The Grand Ole Opry (it really does exist).

Plumbline

One Too Many
Of course you could ... I once saw a guy in full "Roy Rogers" get up in the Cart Bar in Pollok ...... he seemed oblivious to the fact that he was rather ... unique :)

I have a couple of Scully shirts ( ostentatiously western) that I wear regularly out ..... you'd fit right in with the Rockabilly crown Soanie :)

IXL

One Too Many
I really some of those upper colour combinations, the turquoise, gold and black is particularly lovely. However, I'm not sure I could get away with them anywhere in Glasgow other than at its version of The Grand Ole Opry (it really does exist).

"Grand Ole Opry in Glasgow"....that just made me giggle. :)

IXL

One Too Many
Of course you could ... I once saw a guy in full "Roy Rogers" get up in the Cart Bar in Pollok ...... he seemed oblivious to the fact that he was rather ... unique :)

I have a couple of Scully shirts ( ostentatiously western) that I wear regularly out ..... you'd fit right in with the Rockabilly crown Soanie :)

There is a place in the Stockyards, in Oklahoma City, that carries all the Scully line. Many of us wear their clothing while engaging in Cowboy Action Shooting matches, or maybe just going to church.....

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
But that, my friend, is the nub of the issue. Yes they were produced in the US, and yes, they were selfedge. But the very LAST thing they were was "high end". They were "workwear", sold at workwear prices. The idea that workwear could ever be high end was, in the 60's, laughable.

Nowadays, folks who weren't around back then have bought the lie, completely. Jeans are either "vintage" or "designer" - and if they are cheap, they must be crap.

Yes, the Japanese market is, in relative terms, big. But, whichever way you look at it, the rest of the World is a bigger market. But the Japanese manufacturers ignore it. Maybe the rest of the world is less gullible??
It is not just the Japanese. Take a look at Rising Sun repro of Neustadter Brothers and A.B. ELFELT & Co. The former costs Euro 500. There is also the Mr Freedom. As for the prices, in addition to paying for the workmanship, you are paying for the quality control. The cost of the rejects are factored into the prices. Workwear in the old days is not subjected to the QC they have now. Take for example, the Japanese makers will not likely tolerate any un-matched hide on any of their A-2 repros while this lack of QC is said to be more authentic and genuine for the war era. Salesperson at Real McCoy Tokyo went over the Buco J-22 my friend bought inch by inch to make sure there is not a single defect before they let my friend leave with the good.:D You see all those rejects on Aero sales page, you have to wonder what happened to the Japanese makers' rejects or even LVC's for that matter since its half-belt in the 2003 collection was made by Aero.

Last edited:

SLAB

A-List Customer
okay, this is definitely my favorite version of the brodovitch (and its cheaper than the other versions) pictures from genco clothing

FWOT-brodMC.jpg

Ishmael

Practically Family
I haven't seen the jacket in person, but I saw their pants in that fabric. One of the more "luxurious" corduroys I've seen, if that makes sense. They call it "printed corduroy fabric". Not sure what that means exactly.

http://www.hickorees.com/brand/free...ey-overalls-work-pants-brown-printed-corduroy

I agree, the A-1 is really nice. But, for some reason, I keep seeing it in my mind as a child's jacket. Maybe too cute and cuddly? Maybe I had something like this as a kid? Who knows.....

SLAB

A-List Customer
well, I do associate corduroy with my childhood; my parents made me wear corduroy pants in the early eighties (which i didnt like to). That said, i can see myself rocking this; I dont see the 'cuteness' of this jacket?

Ishmael

Practically Family
I'm sure it's just my association of corduroy with childhood that leads to cute and cuddly. I'm sure when the wild FW guys post fit pics I'll change my tune quickly.

The only The FEW jacket I've ever tried on was the Stormers at Mushmans. It was crazy short.

Graemsay

Practically Family
At 6'3" with a 47" chest, I don't think that I'm going to fit into anything by any of the Japanese makers. :)

I've got a Good Wear on order, and I'm currently leaning towards getting a Californian Racer, but built a couple of inches longer. So proportionally it'd be something like a 27" or 28" sleeve, and 29" or 30" back. So an extended version of The Few's piece.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mythic