Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Association {Premiere}

frussell

One Too Many
I used the code yesterday on a Stratoliner, got about $30 off, then received the same email this morning saying this hat is not in stock and that Sterling Leather would be glad to refund (or not put my PayPal purchase through), or get the hat made at no extra charge. At least Delmonico's is up front about the 6 week wait, which in my case was 8. I canceled mine, don't feel like another long wait. Good price, though, so thanks for the heads-up. Maybe it's just the larger sizes, because they didn't put it through my PayPal before contacting me. Frank

89quattro

One of the Regulars
If ordering from Delmonico, try using the coupon code "WELCOME" for a 10% discount.

Again, no affiliation with them on my part, I just hate paying full retail prices.

I used the code yesterday on a Stratoliner, got about $30 off, then received the same email this morning saying this hat is not in stock and that Sterling Leather would be glad to refund, or get the hat made at no extra charge. At least Delmonico's is up front about the 6 week wait, which in my case was 8. I got a refund. Good price, though, so thanks for the heads-up. Maybe it's just the larger sizes, because they didn't put it through my PayPal before contacting me. Frank

Yep, they didn't put it thru until confirming with me that I was willing to wait for it via email.

89quattro

One of the Regulars
I used the code yesterday on a Stratoliner, got about $30 off, then received the same email this morning saying this hat is not in stock and that Sterling Leather would be glad to refund, or get the hat made at no extra charge. At least Delmonico's is up front about the 6 week wait, which in my case was 8. I got a refund. Good price, though, so thanks for the heads-up. Maybe it's just the larger sizes, because they didn't put it through my PayPal before contacting me. Frank

Frank - please see my earlier post regarding a Size 8...they contacted Hatco while I was on the phone with them and was told that size most likely will not work given the size of the felt body.

BTW - I was trying to send you a note in response to an earlier PM...couldn't send as your inbox is full.

Jedwbpm

One Too Many
When it comes to bigger sizes customer service is not always in the loop. They called me not long ago to tell me they could not make a Premier Stratoliner in 7 7/8. I told them that I was holding one in 7 7/8 in my hand so yes you can make one. It was the one the you canceled Frank that I was holding. I talked to the head of customer service and he said OK they will make it.

Jeff

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Amazing. Don't they want to sell hats? If they can produce them, it would seem logical to make a smaller run of larger sizes and distribute them, if only for the customer relations. Looking through their current offerings, hats in anything over 7 3/4 are few and far between, and certain styles such as the Temple don't come in light gray in larger sizes, but they do offer the other colors.

Yep, they didn't put it thru until confirming with me that I was willing to wait for it via email.

Silverbelly Premiere Strat delivered last night, so not 6 weeks, just about 3.
This is some lightweight felt. Sweat does not say Royal Deluxe, just Premiere Stratoliner is a cursive script with Stetson crest.
Crown holds dry crease of center dent with a front pinch well. Brim snaps down all around.
I'll have to do a side-by-side with my vintage Royal Deluxe Stratoliner soon.
Overall, pleased with the buy at the discounted price.

89quattro

One of the Regulars
This is some lightweight felt. Sweat does not say Royal Deluxe, just Premiere Stratoliner is a cursive script with Stetson crest.
Crown holds dry crease of center dent with a front pinch well. Brim snaps down all around.

Sounds like a good customer service experience + a very good price after the discount. Glad it worked out for you.
They seem to be running 20% off specials on a regular basis, so I would expect many folks to take advantage of it.

JoeyC

One of the Regulars

I don't have a vintage Strat to do a comparison only modern Premiere and Royal deluxe. The premiere IMO has the edge. The Royal is nice but the brim is a bit floppy, doesn't snap. The Premiere is mink and the Royal is cornhill. I like both hats. Only comparison to vintage would be my OR's, their in another league but the new premium Stetsons I think are proving that a good hat can still be produced. I currently have a Grand Central on order from Sterling, couldn't resist the price. I noticed they increased their prices a bit since placing my order. I look forward to receiving it, I'll try to do an evaluation when it arrives.

Joe

I don't have a vintage Strat to do a comparison only modern Premiere and Royal deluxe. The premiere IMO has the edge. The Royal is nice but the brim is a bit floppy, doesn't snap. The Premiere is mink and the Royal is cornhill. I like both hats. Only comparison to vintage would be my OR's, their in another league but the new premium Stetsons I think are proving that a good hat can still be produced. I currently have a Grand Central on order from Sterling, couldn't resist the price. I noticed they increased their prices a bit since placing my order. I look forward to receiving it, I'll try to do an evaluation when it arrives.

Joe

Premiere Stratoliner is Royal Deluxe grade. The regular Royal Stetson grade Stratoliner model doesn't come in Cornhill.
Sounds like you have 2 Premiere Strats, one in Mink & one in Cornhill.
I think only change is sweatbands of newer Premiere Strats don't say Royal Deluxe like the first ones did (except for Jared's anomaly).
My earlier version Premiere Strat in Mink does feel stouter than this Silverbelly but that could be due to the bleaching of the felt body for lighter colors.

Last edited:

hartfell

New in Town
Please help! - brand new Premier Stratoliner steaming questions

Just purchased a brand new premier Stratoliner in Cornhill but didn't realize how BIG this hat is! Love the color and quality but worried it may look ridiculous on me! Sure could use the advise of you more experienced hat folks here to make this hat a better "fit" for me. I'm thinking I should try to minimize the height of the crown so the hat doesn't look so tall. Any suggestions? Also, does it damage the felt if I keep experimenting with the shape? I'm not using steam yet because I'm worried steam may weaken the felt if used too often. I've never steamed a hat before. I've watched Jeff's video on u-tube where he uses a premier Strat to demonstrate - but I only have an electric kettle which switches off automatically so the steam only lasts a few seconds. Thought I'd use a pot on the stove instead, bring it to the boil with the lid mostly on, hold the hat over the gap in the lid for a few seconds and shape it while it's hot then hold until it cools. Sound good? I would also appreciate any tips on how to shape the brim? It seems to have a stubborn curve near the front. I'd like to flatten it. Maybe just steam iron the brim flat with a cloth over it? Sorry for these dumb questions. I've been reading up as much as I can on steaming hats but I'm still worried I'm going to damage it. Thanks for any feedback. I've attached two pics but they only upload sideways!

Attachments

• IMG_0325.jpg
    IMG_0325.jpg
    784.7 KB · Views: 486
  • IMG_0321.JPG
    IMG_0321.JPG
    296.2 KB · Views: 983
Just purchased a brand new premier Stratoliner in Cornhill but didn't realize how BIG this hat is! Love the color and quality but worried it may look ridiculous on me! Sure could use the advise of you more experienced hat folks here to make this hat a better "fit" for me. I'm thinking I should try to minimize the height of the crown so the hat doesn't look so tall. Any suggestions? Also, does it damage the felt if I keep experimenting with the shape? I'm not using steam yet because I'm worried steam may weaken the felt if used too often. I've never steamed a hat before. I've watched Jeff's video on u-tube where he uses a premier Strat to demonstrate - but I only have an electric kettle which switches off automatically so the steam only lasts a few seconds. Thought I'd use a pot on the stove instead, bring it to the boil with the lid mostly on, hold the hat over the gap in the lid for a few seconds and shape it while it's hot then hold until it cools. Sound good? I would also appreciate any tips on how to shape the brim? It seems to have a stubborn curve near the front. I'd like to flatten it. Maybe just steam iron the brim flat with a cloth over it? Sorry for these dumb questions. I've been reading up as much as I can on steaming hats but I'm still worried I'm going to damage it. Thanks for any feedback. I've attached two pics but they only upload sideways!

I've got 2 Premiere Strats & both shaped dry, never had to use any steam.
Size is also about symmetry.
Think of distance from brim to your chin & brim to the top of the crown.
The thing of a Premiere Strat is the dimensions of a bygone era, may take some adjusting to.
I know of lots of folks coming here & their brim preference gets wider & wider...same for crown height...

From what I can see, I think that hat looks great on you. I initially started out with small brims and crowns, but now the dimensions like those on the Strat seem normal to me. Tom is right, this new hat recreates the dimensions of the vintage hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW