Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Society {VINTAGE}

SteveAS

Practically Family
Here's a question and some speculation . . .

Has anyone ever seen a Canadian-made Stratoliner? If Stratoliners were ever made in Canada, they'd be more likely to have been distributed in Canada, I think. With the retailer of HE's hat being in Canada, I wonder if the hat the box once contained was made under license by Biltmore, in Canada. If so, I wonder if the box was also supplied through Biltmore's channels, rather than Stetson's. That would explain (1) why the box is different and (2) why it's rare.

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
I agree that it's highly likely that the difference in boxes may be explained by the fact that the circular box was intended for the Canadian market (although it had nothing to do with Biltmore -- Stetson had its own operation in Canada). I have a different example of a Stetson box that is unique to the Canadian market, so I think that the theory may hold water.

For an example of a bona fide Canadian Strat, here ya go:

Strat1.jpg

StetsonSweat.jpg

For more, check out this thread.

Cheers,
JtL

HatsEnough

Banned
The only thing I caution about the label with the Canadian info on it is... when was it put there? On the original sale of the hat that was once in it? Or maybe when the hat was cleaned and blocked at a later date and it was done in Canada? It is just a label taped to the top of the box after all. The box itself only has the Strat label on the front and otherwise no markings at all. So, without knowing when the label was taped to the lid of the hat box, it really is total speculation... though educated speculation, to be sure.

Anyway, the only thing 100% for sure is that we can say that there was at least one other style of Strat box!

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Stratoliner Club Award

I went to an antique show today and didn't find any hats, ties or jackets to buy, BUT I did find this. I scanned it so you can't really see all of it, but it's in a picture frame. Evidently flying commercially was so unique when the Stratoliner Airplane was first put into service you got this certificate with your name on it. A great piece to go with a Stetson Stratoliner hat collection.

strat.jpg

fedoralover

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
I went to an antique show today and didn't find any hats, ties or jackets to buy, BUT I did find this. I scanned it so you can't really see all of it, but it's in a picture frame. Evidently flying commercially was so unique when the Stratoliner Airplane was first put into service you got this certificate with your name on it. A great piece to go with a Stetson Stratoliner hat collection.

Fun item ... see post 388 (this thread).

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
Hey, another one! I didn't see it when you posted, I should have known someone else would have one here. Did you ever do any research on these and find out when they were issued?

fedoralover

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Hey, another one! I didn't see it when you posted, I should have known someone else would have one here. Did you ever do any research on these and find out when they were issued?

I think that Zemke Fan may have told us the back story on these (or maybe it was Tango Yankee or someone else). Either way, I don't remember the details off hand.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
No date on mine, but it is framed so it may be hid. Either way these are pretty cool to think you got one for flying on a plane. Today all you get is "Groped".

fedoralover

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Stratoliner morning.

Good day folks. My silverbelly Stetson Stratoliner, see post # 630, joins my brown and gray Strats for a photo this morning.

Meet the Stratoliners;

IMG8316-X2.jpg

All hats are superb 50's models of this venerable Stetson hat. Not all felts are the same. Of the three, the silverbelly is the most pliable having clay like felt. A dry crease can quickly change this hat from one look to another. The gray and brown, have a stiffer feel to the felt. The depth and density of the felts are as close as you can judge without fancy/dancy tools.

IMG8317-XL.jpg

Thanks for taking a look at my Stetson Stratoliners. Best wishes, Eric -

Last edited:

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Monbla for taking a look at my Strats. Not an Akubra, like many of yours, but fine hats none the less.

As to the crease, if I could look as classy as Alan when he wears his fedoras, I would have most of my fedoras in a center dent. ;) :D Never could I look as classy - I would have to find me some hair and looks. IMO, something about the Strat calls me to have a "Arkansas crease." It must remind me of Mockingbirds, apple blossoms or milk (state beverage of Arkansas) and hence the unconcious desire to crease like our famous hatted fellow in Arkansas. Must be.....

Best, Eric -

Last edited:

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Thanks Monbla for taking a look at my Strats. Not an Akubra, like many of yours, but fine hats none the less.

As to the crease, if I could look as classy as Alan when he wears his fedoras, I would have most of my fedoras in a center dent. ;) :D Never could I look as classy - I would have to find me some hair and looks. IMO, something about the Strat calls me to have a "Arkansas crease." It must remind me of Mockingbirds, apple blossoms or milk (state beverage of Arkansas) and hence the unconcious desire to crease like our famous hatted fellow in Arkansas. Must be.....

Best, Eric -

I too am folically challenged :) Growing up here in Texas, I saw far more center dent/front /side pinched hats and so that's been my main influence. Was the style of creases my father had in his hats so I quess I'm "like father, like son" in that way :) Western hats, especially with the Cattleman's crease are the most prevelent felt seen down here so that's probably another reason I like 'em :) I have four hats with a Teardrop crease in them, my CD ( with LOTS of Tugboat slant) and my Stylemasters with their factory creases. Both look good to me! BTW, EVERYONE who wears a good felt hat looks CLASSY :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn