Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Society {VINTAGE}

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
Pine Green for certain. Here:

IMG_2799.jpg

Buler's Alpine Blue Strat here:

strats-1.jpg

Mr.Palidin's green Strat - oh la la! Here:

GreenStratoliner015.jpg

Buler's carmel colored Strat. Here:

camel_strat_2.jpg

It also appears that a variety of "brown" colors have been showcased on this thread. The scarcity of the colors in a given size certainly make for it being a sellers market.

Last edited:

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
Buler's carmel colored Strat. Here:

camel_strat_2.jpg

Pardon me if it offends anyone, but that looks like a silver belly in desperate need of a cleaning. You can see at the bottom of the crown an area the height of the sweatband that's a lot lighter and pinker. I should be getting back a Royal Deluxe Open Road tomorrow that was so filthy it was basically yellow except for that pinkish area.

I know some of you call that "patina" (WHAT?!) but to me that's just 50 years of dirt and cigarette smoke.

When I get mine back, I'll be sure to take pictures.

Tom

buler

I'll Lock Up
Pardon me if it offends anyone, but that looks like a silver belly in desperate need of a cleaning. You can see at the bottom of the crown an area the height of the sweatband that's a lot lighter and pinker. I should be getting back a Royal Deluxe Open Road tomorrow that was so filthy it was basically yellow except for that pinkish area.

I know some of you call that "patina" (WHAT?!) but to me that's just 50 years of dirt and cigarette smoke.

When I get mine back, I'll be sure to take pictures.

Tom

Huh??! Just saw this. Not sure what you are seeing in the picture, but the hat is the color your seeing. Its mint and pretty much unworn. Not silver belly, never was.

B

DJH

I'll Lock Up
Recent Stratoliner arrival - grey/green colour.

D314048-L.jpg

D314050-L.jpg

D314057-L.jpg

D314059-L.jpg

The green one is older than my grey Stratoliner and is proudly wearing the vintage Stratoliner pin I got from Lefty a while ago. The grey Strat has a reproduction DC3 pin.

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Superb Strats, David! I have a feeling there are probably a dozen threads on this, but other than a wider variety of colors, what makes a Stratoliner not an OR?

DJH

I'll Lock Up
That's a great question Jeff - you are right, there are some threads where this is discussed including this one.

I don't own an Open Road at the moment so I can't make a direct comparison, but I think the OR has a little wider brim and the Strat's brim is flanged with more curl. The bow is a little different as well, I believe.

Always seems to me that the OR is (or was marketed to be) a little more Western and the Stratoliner a little more dressy. Certainly the Open Roads I've had the chance to handle seemed to be of heavier construction and were also available in more quality/price points: Royal Stetson, 3X, Stetson 20, Stetson 25, 7XCB - I'm not sure if the Stetson 100 was marked as Open Road or not.

For the Strats, I think the vast majority were Royal Stetson quality (close to the bottom!) although I seem to remember seeing a Royal Stetson Deluxe version, maybe posted by Zetwal?

Of course one of the cool things with the Stratoliner is tracking down the neato box and the little pins as well!

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
This is the auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350522487789

When it arrived today it was clear that it was very dusty but hadn't been worn much, if at all. Brushed it well, fired up the kettle, and put my usual diamond-ish crease in it:

strat1.jpg

The reason I don't think it was worn much is that the size tag and white bow in back weren't discolored from sweat and pomade.

The color isn't the bright blue of the auction (only a slight disappointment) but a nice heather blue that will go with anything. The picture is color-corrected, so if your monitor is adjusted, you're seeing it correctly. I note that the ribbon is not the same color as the edge binding.

Something neat, when I first tried it on it didn't fit as well as I had expected, but looking under the sweat, there was a strip of white felt padding it out! Taking out that felt made it fit fine. Also under the sweat is a $10 price tag.

Here's a shot of the interior:

strat2.jpg

All around very clean. Quite pleased.

Tom

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sirteen