Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Society {VINTAGE}

I wish they would too. It seems to "finish" the hat. And given the step up in quality they're trying, that would be a nice touch.

But then, I've got a thing about wind trolleys.

fedoralover

Call Me a Cab
I know this question is answered in this thread somewhere but I can't find it. So please have pity on an old man. When was the last year that Stetson made the Stratoliner? Not the newer version of course. I just bought one that is in like new condition. It honestly doesn't look like it was ever worn. My other 3 Stratoliners have 2 5/8ths brim widths. But this one is 2 3/8ths, so it seems like it would be one of the later releases. Any info would be appreciated.

thanks fedoralover

Short Balding Guy

I'll Lock Up
I have been remiss in that I have not posted in this thread for too long. Let me change that this evening.

Today I have been working on cleaning 3 vtg. Stetson Stratoliners. Over the past couple of months they arrived dirty, whooped and 2 in original boxes. I mention the original boxes as the hats came out of the boxes well worn and having brim shapes like a clam. Not a pretty sight for a hat afficianato. Naphtha baths, toothbrush scrubbing, Scout cleaning (dark hat version), freezer overnight, sitting on a straight-sided block this afternoon and they slated for some steaming tomorrow. I am nearly finished with cleaning. I am pleased with how they have cleaned up. They are 60+ years old and looking well.

i-9K2DfkR-M.jpg

Stetson, as clearly shown in the many posts, had many versions of this model over the years they were produced. These 3 are all brown shades, but vastly different. My pics below are taken today moments before a rain shower. The weather is cloudy, humid and hot. The highlight colors will not show in today’s pics.

i-Xq9wRSs-M.jpg

i-c8r8GQ3-M.jpg

I will wear these hats proudly as they, as the 1940's advertisement says, are "Right for traveling in style." The different shades of brown I will no doubt appreciate when it comes to pairing with daily clothing.

i-ndTRZ63-M.jpg

Best to all of the vtg. Stetsom Strat folks, Eric -

Older posts: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?8329-The-Stratoliner-Society-VINTAGE/page101

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?8329-The-Stratoliner-Society-VINTAGE/page80

Last edited:

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Here's the one I got not too long ago. Super clean inside and out. I have no idea what time period it's from.

\
fedoralover

judging by the size tag , crest, liner, and sweat it looks to be late 50s.... possibly very early 60s ?

someone more qualified may correct me if I am wrong ... but thats what I gather from my studies

beautiful hat ... great cocoa color

and Eric absolutely gorgeous hats my friend ... sort of in awe of them actually

you've inspired me to gather my Strats together and maybe throw some pics up in this thread

Last edited:

tommyK

One Too Many
Add me to the chorus, Eric. Great finds and great clean up on them.

I really appreciate you adding your pictures and methods the the Naptha Bath thread. You've given me the confidence to try this myself. I've been storing up a few hats to clean this way.

Fedoralover, finding a vintage Strat that nice is an epic great find. As much as I enjoy cleaning and shaping up old neglected hats, finding one pristine is even better!

clintfisher

One of the Regulars
So gorgeous

A recent discovery in my wife's costume shop... I took it home to clean and renovate. It is in good shape overall - unfortunately missing its crown tip sticker. After removing the sewn in actor labels and restitching the ribbon and bow in a few places, I used a size 7 961 block (close but not a perfect match to the Stetson 122 block that was used originally) to smooth out the old crease. You can see how thin and light the felt is in these 1940s Strats as the thin supple sweatband is easily visible from the pressure of the block.

UBvitastrat11.jpg

UBvitastrat4.jpg

UBvitastrat5.jpg

UBvitastrat6.jpg

UBvitastrat7.jpg

UBvitastrat1.jpg

This hat is not as early as the Vita-Felt strat posted here. The brim width is 2 3/4" vs. 2 1/2". It shows the later single field version of the red manufacturing label and does not have a LOTXXXX stamp on the back of the sweatband. The size tag has been cut, but I would not expect it to be of the gold foil variety. But unlike the 1950s Strats, it retains the unlined, lightweight and very soft and flexible gestalt of the early 1940s Stratoliner. Price was $7.50.

UBvitastrat8.jpg

UBvitastrat9.jpg

UBvitastrat10.jpg

I gave the front of the brim a gentle touch with a flat iron. While I like my Strats various, I seem to wander back to making them play this uplifting tune.

102013.jpg

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I thought here might be the place for these pics.
I happen to absolutely love the Stetson Stratoliner.

Earlier today I took a couple shots of some of my Stratoliners.

These range from early '40s to mid '50s.

Hope you enjoy

78cbd9de0c1bf5d37e181e4b962067ce.jpg

118e1e64b36fbdc9ab5c0442b0917c62.jpg

58cf4448dc2e84e7addb9aab30993944.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany