Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Society {VINTAGE}

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Been a while since any Stratoliners were posted in this thread, so here are mine. (I still have two of them anyway)

3750fd33dfa44a2e3bdacd11722071fd.jpg
beautious !!

Reactions: DJH

Mm25

One Too Many
So I have one that the brim binding has been removed from (prior to my ownership) . Any recommendations on who might sew a new one on for a reasonable price? I never wear it as is, since Moon pointed it out and made me self-conscious. (Not knocking Moon here, I got that hat not really knowing what is was, but it was a good deal)

So I have one that the brim binding has been removed from (prior to my ownership) . Any recommendations on who might sew a new one on for a reasonable price? I never wear it as is, since Moon pointed it out and made me self-conscious. (Not knocking Moon here, I got that hat not really knowing what is was, but it was a good deal)

Mm, you might contact Bond from here on the lounge or through his etsy shop, finevintagefedoras. He does some nice refurb work and has done several hats for me and numerous others on the lounge. Good work @ reasonable prices.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Mm, you might contact Bond from here on the lounge or through his etsy shop, finevintagefedoras. He does some nice refurb work and has done several hats for me and numerous others on the lounge. Good work @ reasonable prices.
good recommendation ... he does nice work

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
Questions for the modern production Stratoliner owners of the Society.

Is the modern production Stratoliner, soft-ish, with a pliable-ish brim or is is stiff and cardboard-y?

How's the fit, is a 7 3/8 really a 7 3/8 or is it more like a 7 5/16?

The reviews I've read say the hat is soft, but are they talking pliability or just the velvety feel of the felt?

I made the mistake of watching The Aviator and now I keep looking at them online and getting antsy about adding a new hat to the stable.

I know stylistically there are differences in crown height, brim width and the shaping, but I'm not having vintage luck, so I'm looking at modern production.

I own a modern production Open Road and am happy with it, despite the stiffness of the crown and brim.

I also own a Nostalgia which is soft-ish, steamable and moldable and the brim is flexible, but almost too floppy.

The Open Road is a 7 3/8 but fits just a tiny bit snug.

The Nostalgia is the same and fits really loose.

Knowing the vagaries of production, is the Stratoliner 7 3/8 genuine, or should I go up to a 7 1/2?

Thanks in advance.

dv

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
this being a vintage Strat thread this question might be better suited for the "Ask a Question.... " thread

but I own 3 modern Strats ... 2 Premier and 1 Excellent

all fit true to size
all are very soft and pliable
very nice modern hats ... I really like them

stay away from the Royal because frankly they are hot garbage

Premier Stratoliner
I estimate at very early 40s ...
maybe @carouselvic or @alanfgag will chime in with opinions.

Mid 1940s I would venture, very nice example. Thanks for the great photos. Premier quality was later than the introductory models of the Stratoliner, evidenced by the manila (rather than gold) size label. My Premier Strat does not have a LOTXXXX imprint behind the sweat (the three earlier versions I own do). Yours?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran