Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Society {VINTAGE}

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Just landed today...

StratBox.jpg

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
. . . BTW, I don't know if anyone has posted this or not, but should any of you want a pin for the hat you can either contact me or else the guy who makes my reproductions from my original pins: www.1903.com. His name is Joe Weingarten and he's truly a stand up guy. He knows the value of keeping original items in original condition and making repros as appropriate. Almost all of his TWA and Boeing items are molded from my originals.\
Is this the one? http://www.1903.com/TWA-Stratoliner-Aircraft-Sterling-Pin-p772.html

I don't have a Strat, but the olive Churchill I sent to Optimo for a brim trim and rebinding came out looking much like the modern reissue of that hat. It'd look cool with a pin. By the way: Do you just slide the straight pin part in through the bow, or in the case of a thin ribbon hat, through the point where the ribbon ends cross over?

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Is this the one? http://www.1903.com/TWA-Stratoliner-Aircraft-Sterling-Pin-p772.htmlI don't have a Strat, but the olive Churchill I sent to Optimo for a brim trim and rebinding came out looking much like the modern reissue of that hat. It'd look cool with a pin. By the way: Do you just slide the straight pin part in through the bow, or in the case of a thin ribbon hat, through the point where the ribbon ends cross over?

That's the one I would use. The DC-3 pin that Rusty makes is the one that came with the hats originally (at least some of them). But, I like the slightly larger CORRECT Stratoliner pin better. -- Fred G,

buler

I'll Lock Up
Just went thru the whole thread today and reviewed the many different sweatmarks for the Stratoliner. I saw Stetson Stratoliner, Royal Stetson Stratoliner, Premier Stratoliner, etc. But I don't think we've seen this mark before...

strat_sweatmark.jpg

Would have been great to see the whole hat, but unfortunately the deal fizzled.

B

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
I knew I'd seen it before, as I posted the seller's mark it in the Ohio thread. Here's Tony in Tarzana's Strat. from this thread
My Stetson Stratoliner finally showed up, so I thought I'd gather my two aviation-themed lids and show 'em off.

The Stratoliner was named for the first pressurized airliner, as we all know. Mine is unlined, and has what appears to be a $6.50 price tag inside the sweatband. If that's what it is, it's the lowest price tag I've seen on any of my vintage hats. It's a dark chocolate brown. The felt is fairly stiff but it feels nice. The condition is almost new, no wear on the sweatband at all.

StetsonStratoliner11.jpg

Viper Man

Banned
Could this be a Stratoliner pin? To my eyes it looks like a dead ringer for the strat pin on Tony's hat pictured above. What do you think?

il_570xN.227131909.jpg

Last edited:

Viper Man

Banned
10-4. So it does appear to be the pin Stetson used even though it isn't representative of an actual Stratoliner plane. Gotcha. :p

I bought it for $5.50 so it's not that big of a deal, I suppose.

Viper Man

Banned
Thanks, GTDean. I'm going to attempt to clean it up with a touch of MAAS when it arrives. Now I need to find the hat to put it on! Actually, I'd probably be better off having Art build a Strat clone for me. Hmm, blue smoke, chocolate or dove? :eusa_doh:

Last edited:

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, GTDean. I'm going to attempt to clean it up with a touch of MAAS when it arrives. Now I need to find the hat to put it on! Actually, I'd probably be better off having Art build a Strat clone for me. Hmm, blue smoke, chocolate or dove? :eusa_doh:

I don't know what his chocolate looks like. But I wear a dark brown Strat more often than dove. At the end of the day, you know what you need.

Viper Man

Banned
True. I am actually leaning more toward the chocolate because I'd like a hat that can do the 'everyman' casual thing on a day to day basis. I think dove might get dirty too fast.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner