Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Stratoliner Society {VINTAGE}

Zemke Fan said:
Another possibility on the Stratoliner pin front. Just picked this up on eBay:

StratPin.jpg

Cost me about $56 bucks, but I'm going to have Joe W. make me some clones. As you can see, this puppy is flying in the right direction and up!

Let me know who's in at $25.00 per pin in .925 silver (probably with a push-pin back).

FHH
Good going. I watched that auction hoping somebody here was winning. I responded in the Pin thread that I'd go for a repro in silver, maybe 2. :eusa_clap :eusa_clap

RBH

Bartender
So your the one that beat me out! :D
I love the pin... but from what I have seen in ads and from a close up of the Patty Stetson hat [we have to assume its original] the pin on the stratoliners only had two engines. [I just have to stir the pot ...dont I :D ]
In all the print ads I have seen they never call the pin a 'Stratoliner' pin only an 'airplane' pin.
Whereas several mention a 'neat Stratoliner' box.
here is the Patty Stetson close up.

StratPin.jpg

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
We agree, Rusty...

... It WAS probably the DC-3 pin on the hats. BUT, if there is one thing I've learned from the Fedora Lounge (other than the fact that it can be an infinite time-sink) is that we're here to recreate the past AS IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN, not as it actually was!

Who else is in for a pin? I'm up to four now.

Oh, and BTW, stop bidding against me! :)

jimmy the lid

I'll Lock Up
Zemke Fan said:
..if there is one thing I've learned from the Fedora Lounge (other than the fact that it can be an infinite time-sink) is that we're here to recreate the past AS IT SHOULD HAVE BEEN, not as it actually was!

That's too funny! lol

Glad you got the pin, Zemke Fan. I was thinking of going after it, but figured there was already a healthy contingent of Loungers in on the action! ;)

Cheers,
JtL

buler

I'll Lock Up
Can I join....

All I need is the box and the pin. Here is the one I just recently picked up. Man, this hat is light! Also has the bluish grey color.

B

strat_collection.jpg

strat_left_side.jpg

strat_liner.jpg

strat_sweat_mark.jpg

strat.jpg

unitone

New in Town
Buler, that looks great. I can only hope the one I picked up looks nearly as good. I'm still waiting for it's arrival though!

HatDoc

One of the Regulars
Zemke Fan said:
Another possibility on the Stratoliner pin front. Just picked this up on eBay:

Cost me about $56 bucks, but I'm going to have Joe W. make me some clones. As you can see, this puppy is flying in the right direction and up!

Let me know who's in at $25.00 per pin in .925 silver (probably with a push-pin back).

FHH

Guilty.....I was bidding against you. :eek:

3 things:

1) I like the idea of a repro, but are you sure you want to do a push-pin back? I bought a repro fly-hook-pin with a push-pin-back for my Dobbs Rainbow, but the back was too big and it dug into the side of my head. I finally bought a Rainbow that had the original fly pin with it.....it had a flat-type pin. Fits and feels much better.

2) Patty Stetson's pin is probably the original, but I don't think we're 100% sure on that. It's gold, and it has 2 engines. Have you thought about reproducing it in gold rather than silver?

PattyStratPin.jpg

It would appear that FedoraLover has one also:

FedoraLoverStratPin.jpg

3) I think the definitive tie-breaker would be to get a better photo of the Strat Pin in the movie "Shadow of a Doubt". Someone posted this one:

ShadowDoubtStratPin.jpg

If someone could capture a better screen-shot that showed the number of engines, I think our doubts would end.

Just my $.02

Bottom line......if you do it in gold, with or without a push-pin, count me in for at least 2.

Thanks,

Randy

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Okay, guys...

... will post a photo a bit later. This puppy will have a pin back as the original. However, be forewarned that it's a tad bit larger than I expected. It may work better as a lapel pin than a hat pin. -- ZF

unitone

New in Town
new stratoliner

ok, as promised on another thread, here are some details of my recent acquisition. I'm told that the box is mid sixties variety, so is that when this hat was made? The price tag under the sweat reads $10.99, it seems the original buyer got a $.04 discount. Maybe that was because he just dropped $65 on a suit!

StratReceipt1.jpg

StratReceipt2.jpg

StratBamburgs.jpg

StratJBSlogo.jpg

StratLiner.jpg

StratSide.jpg

buler

I'll Lock Up
HatDoc said:
3) I think the definitive tie-breaker would be to get a better photo of the Strat Pin in the movie "Shadow of a Doubt". Someone posted this one:

ShadowDoubtStratPin.jpg

If someone could capture a better screen-shot that showed the number of engines, I think our doubts would end.

Just my $.02

Bottom line......if you do it in gold, with or without a push-pin, count me in for at least 2.

Thanks,

Randy

I tried to find a better shot from the movie. This is the best capture I could get. From looking it over frame by frame I would have to say its a single engine. Great hat movie, by the way!

B

strat_pin1.jpg

Nipper

New in Town
Shame on you

Hey pokey, how dare you wear a t-shirt with such a great titfer? Shame on you. It deserves a decent shirt at least, and most porobably a suit and tie. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomW