Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

THE SUNBODY ASSOCIATION

Monavillecowboy

One of the Regulars
Under the heading of "You asked for it", here are the photos of my second attempt at shaping the brim. At the risk of being redundant, I'm going to repost the first "after" photos from post #391 along with the new "after" photos to make it easier to do a side-by-side comparison (so to speak).

Sunbody_Oak_Fedora_After_zpsbeyz4qn3.jpg

Sunbody_Oak_Fedora_After_2_zpsky9xsxlb.jpg

The angle on the side shot is different, but it was the photo that best illustrated the brim curl increase, and also that I was able to continue it forward to give the brim that nice "swoop" when viewed from the side (even though that's not apparent in the photo). Besides, this angle shows the amount of rake on the crown better than the first one. :D Admittedly not a huge difference, but it does make the hat look more like a traditional Panama (in my mind, anyway).

Alas, the coconut husk band has been replaced with the thin "ribbon" that came with the hat. I wore the hat in public for the first time this evening, and...well, that coconut band isn't heavy when you're holding it in your hand, but put it on your head and it seems to weigh a ton. :(
Very nice hat,,,fast shipping...great price...good company..5 stars Tom

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Under the heading of "You asked for it", here are the photos of my second attempt at shaping the brim. At the risk of being redundant, I'm going to repost the first "after" photos from post #391 along with the new "after" photos to make it easier to do a side-by-side comparison (so to speak).

Sunbody_Oak_Fedora_After_zpsbeyz4qn3.jpg

Sunbody_Oak_Fedora_After_2_zpsky9xsxlb.jpg

The angle on the side shot is different, but it was the photo that best illustrated the brim curl increase, and also that I was able to continue it forward to give the brim that nice "swoop" when viewed from the side (even though that's not apparent in the photo). Besides, this angle shows the amount of rake on the crown better than the first one. :D Admittedly not a huge difference, but it does make the hat look more like a traditional Panama (in my mind, anyway).

Alas, the coconut husk band has been replaced with the thin "ribbon" that came with the hat. I wore the hat in public for the first time this evening, and...well, that coconut band isn't heavy when you're holding it in your hand, but put it on your head and it seems to weigh a ton. :(
That's really looking good. They're pretty easy to work with once you get the hang of it, and you get the feeling of customizing your hat. They don't "break in" the way a felt does, though: it's more like, over time, the hat finally gets the shape you wanted for it. I spoke with them yesterday and should be receiving my next one in a few days. I think you wondered somewhere above about the open-crowned oak-colored hats: You can simply call them and request the four-inch brim oak, and they'll cut it down to your specifications and put a brim-binding on it (no extra charge!). I also requested a diamond crease for the crown. Finally, I also said "What the hell" and went for the "Old West Leather Band", which looks cool, but now I'm wondering if it might be a little on the heavy side. Just curious: what was your impression of the hat's weight?

johnnycanuck

Interesting. I just measured mine again with a tailor's tape, and I got 2-9/16" on the left side, 2-5/8" on the right side, and 2-3/4" front and rear. Not that it matters. Now that I've given it a little character I'm happy with the hat I got. I'd still like to replace that "ribbon" though... :cool:
One of the projects that's on my to do list is making a hat band out of beer bottle caps. Poke holes threw them and thread them together with paracord. Fun summer hat project. ;)
Johnny

That's really looking good. They're pretty easy to work with once you get the hang of it, and you get the feeling of customizing your hat. They don't "break in" the way a felt does, though: it's more like, over time, the hat finally gets the shape you wanted for it...
Thank you. Once the straw/palm was good and wet I found there wasn't much difference between shaping it and fur felt. Wet or not, I think it's possible to damage the straw/palm if someone were to try to make too sharp of a bend/crease, so I was careful not to do that. Besides, except for adding the "brim curl" I really didn't do much to it.

...I think you wondered somewhere above about the open-crowned oak-colored hats: You can simply call them and request the four-inch brim oak, and they'll cut it down to your specifications and put a brim-binding on it (no extra charge!). I also requested a diamond crease for the crown...
That was in response to Terry's (T Jones) inquiry about the open crown height. I've learned I need hats with taller crowns myself, and this hat had just enough crown for me to shape as I wanted and still fit my head comfortably. It has already conformed to my head nicely, but if the sweatband shrinks more over time I'll probably need to stretch it out just a little. I thought about giving it a Diamond crease, but with this being my first straw hat I didn't want to push my luck; I can always change it again if I decide to.

Having read through this thread I noticed Sunbody seems willing to accommodate reasonable requests, so I think the best thing to do is to contact them, tell them what you want, and let them suggest how to best achieve that. "You" in the general sense, that is, not specifically directed at you Bob.

...Finally, I also said "What the hell" and went for the "Old West Leather Band", which looks cool, but now I'm wondering if it might be a little on the heavy side. Just curious: what was your impression of the hat's weight?
As I wrote previously, with the "coconut husk" band it felt heavy to me. Now that I've put the original ribbon back on it feels lighter and more comfortable. It's certainly heavier than my other "cheap tourist" straw hat and might be a little heavier than my Akubra Fed IVs, but doesn't feel heavier than any of my Akubra Campdrafts.

Right now I'm really enjoying this hat, but the true test will come when the hot and humid summer weather hits southern California. :eek:

tropicalbob

LOL. That's the last best thing about them - you can dunk it in cold water and plop it on your head. I like to go fishing down in the Keys, and for a good part of the year the sun's pretty brutal. The Sunbody's like survival gear. Besides, it floats nicely when it gets blown off into the water.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
LOL. That's the last best thing about them - you can dunk it in cold water and plop it on your head. I like to go fishing down in the Keys, and for a good part of the year the sun's pretty brutal. The Sunbody's like survival gear. Besides, it floats nicely when it gets blown off into the water.

Not as much fun, but I wet mine and wore it to cut the grass

LOL. That's the last best thing about them - you can dunk it in cold water and plop it on your head...
It took several hours for my hat to dry completely because I had soaked it for so long before shaping it and, of course, the straw around the cloth sweat was the last to dry because the sweat had absorbed so much water. So for the last two hours or so I wore the hat damp so it would conform to my head, and it did have a nice cooling effect.

My wife teased me a little about wearing the hat in the house (browsing The Lounge most of that time) but she understood when I explained why. :cool:

RJR

It took several hours for my hat to dry completely because I had soaked it for so long before shaping it and, of course, the straw around the cloth sweat was the last to dry because the sweat had absorbed so much water. So for the last two hours or so I wore the hat damp so it would conform to my head, and it did have a nice cooling effect.

My wife teased me a little about wearing the hat in the house (browsing The Lounge most of that time) but she understood when I explained why. :cool:
;) Mine doesn't even ask anymore.

tropicalbob

I'm still waiting for my hat. According to the USPS, it was shipped from Houston on April 4, took six days to get to Talahassee, left there at 8:00 am on the 10th, and disappeared into the Everglades. I called Sunbody yesterday morning and was promised they'd look into it and call back, but they didn't and now they're closed for the weekend. Arrrgh! The woman I spoke to at Sunbody said that this often happens and maybe it would show up in a few days. Maybe she's right, but this seems a horrible basis for a postal system. I can remember when the USPS was 100% reliable. Never ship through them again.

Last edited:
...I can remember when the USPS was 100% reliable...
I can't. 90-95% maybe, but not 100%.

Six or seven years ago the USPS "lost" four packages (items I had ordered online) within a six month period, and the manager at the local post office refused to take responsibility because I hadn't paid extra for insurance. Our carrier at the time was very conscientious and was able to locate one of them for me, but the other three remained lost and I was never reimbursed; they weren't expensive purchases, but I'm still out $60-$70 with nothing to show for it.

And if I don't show up at a local court house for jury duty on the 19th I could be facing a $1,500 penalty because the Los Angeles Superior Court claims I ignored two jury duty notices that were mailed to me in 2016. I never had the opportunity to ignore them because I never received them, but I'm sure they've heard that before so I have a fun filled day to look forward to next week thanks to the Universally Stupid Postal Service.

That being said, I hope your hat arrives in perfect condition soon.

Scooterz

Practically Family
I'm still waiting for my hat. According to the USPS, it was shipped from Houston on April 4, took six days to get to Talahassee, left there at 8:00 am on the 10th, and disappeared into the Everglades. I called Sunbody yesterday morning and was promised they'd look into it and call back, but they didn't and now they're closed for the weekend. Arrrgh! The woman I spoke to at Sunbody said that this often happens and maybe it would show up in a few days. Maybe she's right, but this seems a horrible basis for a postal system. I can remember when the USPS was 100% reliable. Never ship through them again.

If it makes it out of the Everglades alive and well you should call it "gator".

William G.

One of the Regulars
Great discussion here! I got Val a Sunbody Raetta last year (which she loves) and I just bought myself the 2 1/2" brim oak fedora today. You guys are giving me a lot of ideas about shaping it and alternatives on the band. I'll post a picture when I get it.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab

Houston we have a problem . ... Houston is the problem . I know from experience . You occasionally get lucky , but don't count on it .

William G.

One of the Regulars
Got my Sunbody fedora today. Thank you Monavillecowboy! It's exactly what I expected, came super fast, and the sizing tape is a nice bonus! I'm very happy. Got it shaped in the shower and I've been wearing it all day.

A couple of surprises: Val's sun body is a 7 1/2 and it has stretched up a size. Her hat is sectioned (for lack of a better word), so maybe that's why hers stretched. I don't think this one will stretch, but I've been tugging and pulling on it while it's wet to see and there's not much give. Also, the brim is 2 3/4 inch all the way around. At first I thought it was too big (because I've always thought my Akubra Balmoral was too big), but the structure and the color are perfect. This is the happiest I've been with any of my hats. I absolutely love it.

RJR

Got my Sunbody fedora today. Thank you Monavillecowboy! It's exactly what I expected, came super fast, and the sizing tape is a nice bonus! I'm very happy. Got it shaped in the shower and I've been wearing it all day.

A couple of surprises: Val's sun body is a 7 1/2 and it has stretched up a size. Her hat is sectioned (for lack of a better word), so maybe that's why hers stretched. I don't think this one will stretch, but I've been tugging and pulling on it while it's wet to see and there's not much give. Also, the brim is 2 3/4 inch all the way around. At first I thought it was too big (because I've always thought my Akubra Balmoral was too big), but the structure and the color are perfect. This is the happiest I've been with any of my hats. I absolutely love it.

Good looking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy