Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Thread to Display Your 1940s Suits

PeterB

One of the Regulars
Yes, a black hat needs a certain kind of suit, or it looks out of place and too formal. Evening is probably the right time, with a black suit or tuxedo. It may seem extravagant to get a suit made just so as to wear a hat, but that might be necessary.

guitarmasta12

A-List Customer
Yes, a black hat needs a certain kind of suit, or it looks out of place and too formal. Evening is probably the right time, with a black suit or tuxedo. It may seem extravagant to get a suit made just so as to wear a hat, but that might be necessary.

Yes The hat and tux isnt black. They are navy. the tix has pin stripes in it. a light navy pinstripe.

guitarmasta12

A-List Customer
a67d3c99348b7de358988e853bc5494f.jpg
Here is me in my 40s DB Tux.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
If one insists on utilizing a tuxedo (a formal garment to be worn with a definite set of certain ascessoires) as a normal suit with brown shoes and a colorful patterned bowtie, "rules" of any sort are out of the window.

That being said: the "blue" of the tuxedo is midgnight-blue... which turns into a rich black under artificial light. It is to be treated equal to black... so only black shoes go with it.

Navy blue (a blue close to black) normal suits also should be worn with black shoes... of course "rules" are not as rigid here as with the formal tuxedo.
One certainly can find period examples of brown shoes with dark blue suits. But mostly it is a rich royal blue or a hue lighter than that.

Last edited:

Patrick Hall

Practically Family
Navy blue (a blue close to black) normal suits also should be worn with black shoes... of course "rules" are not as rigid here as with the formal tuxedo.
One certainly can find period examples of brown shoes with dark blue suits. But mostly it is a rich royal blue or a hue lighter than that.

I realize we are heavily in subjective territory, but I like to pair cordovan shoes with navy suits. Dark browns work better than black, IMHO. the lighter the shade of brown, the more displeasing the contrast, though. Obviously everything said above about the tux I agree with: Black shoes only, preferably patent leather, and the tux should never be worn before six o'clock. and only with a black bowtie. and a white shirt. etc. etc. And probably not with a fedora, though I know "tuxedo hats" were a short lived thing.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I just moved a bunch of things to Montana that I had in storage in Maryland. Some of these are recent finds, some are things I've had in boxes for the better part of 7 years and haven't properly photographed before.

Eddie Derbyshire

Practically Family
Hi gents. I posted this over in the British suits thread - I'll copy it verbatim:

This came in the post today, and I'm thrilled. Although it's miles too small for me, it's a fantastic example of 1940s tailoring, and I'm nearly 100% sure it's CC41 too. The label has been monstrously cut out, but I can recognise the rounded tops of the 'CC'. It is by 'Burleigh', has 10 and 1/2" cuffs on the trousers, and is probably about 38 regular (the trousers measure about 16" across the waistband). Although it looks straight grey from the photos, it has a tinge more like indigo running through it. It has no turn-ups, but I think that is just from letting them down. Although I have heard that turn-ups were banned for cloth-saving? Is that true?

I really like it, but I don't know whether to sell it or not. It's in immaculate condition, all save for a couple of thread pulls on the chest, and a small moth hole on the sleeve that is on the stripe anyway, and isn't noticeable. Let me know your verdict folks! (Profuse apologies for the crap camera work - all from my phone I'm afraid!)

Here's a shot of the CC41 label. I reckon that's the real McCoy ain't it?

Interesting button closure

Inside of the lapels split in two. Was this common or for fabric saving?

Thanks for looking!

PeterB

One of the Regulars
The maker did some good pattern matching on the side pockets, Eddie. Quite a find. And the material has a beautiful weave in it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nextstop1derland