Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Trimble Tavern

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Having recently picked up a Trimble, and not having seen a dedicated thread to the maker, I thought it appropriate to open The Trimble Tavern.

This hat is an interpretation of the Dobbs Gay Prince, with whip-stitched felt ribbon, but with an overwelt brim edge. Quality of the felt is quite good, but not as soft and refined as the Gay Prince. The execution of the whip-stitching is not nearly as tight or precise as the Dobbs, but the interior liner, sweatband, and finishing appear to be of a high standard.

Crown: 4-3/4".
Ribbon: 7/8" self-colored felt.
Brim: 2-1/2", with 1/4" overwelt.
Sweatband: 2".

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Ed, there is not much known about the Trimble Hat Co. They were a small company based in Orange Valley, New Jersey, and were in business from as far back as the early 1900s if not earlier. They may have also had a retail establishment in Manhattan, as some of their hats, like the one above, have the 'Fifth Avenue, New York' appended to the logo.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up

Edward

Bartender
Interesting... The Trimbles of the Trimble Hat Co didn't originate in Ireland? Same name as the premier First Minister of the modern Northern Ireland Assembly, that's why it jumps out at me. I do like that sweat band; looks like it has been designed to offer a little more ventilation at the temples. Nice looking hat. The band gives it a more casual look to me, along the same lines as, say, an Open Road. I like the lining too. My one big complaint about so, so many contemporary production fedoras is this insistence on using white linings, which go grubby an stained in no time on my shaven bonce.

delectans

Call Me a Cab
Links to threads here:

Thanks for posting the links, Ed.

Nice looking hat. I have a Caxton with essentially the same sweatband.

Thank you, Steve. Interesting that it shares a similar sweatband to your Caxton. It also resembles McLachlan sweats.

Interesting... The Trimbles of the Trimble Hat Co didn't originate in Ireland? Same name as the premier First Minister of the modern Northern Ireland Assembly, that's why it jumps out at me. I do like that sweat band; looks like it has been designed to offer a little more ventilation at the temples. Nice looking hat. The band gives it a more casual look to me, along the same lines as, say, an Open Road. I like the lining too. My one big complaint about so, so many contemporary production fedoras is this insistence on using white linings, which go grubby an stained in no time on my shaven bonce.

Thanks for your kind words, Edward!

Uncertain of the origins of the Trimble Hat Co. family. [huh]

The sweatband is certainly interesting, and, as it seems Steve's Caxton shares a similar sweatband, could be a commonly sourced item between different hat makers.

I share your sentiment regarding light colored liners. ;)

Desert dog

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Yeah, it's on my Watchlist, too...
Here are some before and after photos of the Trimble I just got.
4fef3620fbe20563592aac2a8f53d087.jpg
c1ea36d993d718ec2ce2e7c875dc300d.jpg
cfc8287c3d604e7d2e5432ce25745630.jpg
ce9fc749621e1750e3bf392c53be2fef.jpg
c00ee3a519a14141c969e819ecffabc3.jpg
d4d854fc0565b013d1d489c3f4b011ab.jpg
8aaf00bd5a79969bc3ece6d6ea11cff5.jpg
af8e40eb9460ff6ea5d7acfafcd2c49e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members