Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The "Two Martini Lunch"

filfoster

One Too Many
A lesson?

Barbigirl said:
In the beginning of the '00 years I worked at a place that had slack hours and a martini bar two blocks away. I enjoyed a number of 2 or 3 martini lunches and just laid really low in the afternoon til it was time to catch the train. The lunches weren't specifically work related though, just fun.
I wonder only half facetiously, how much better American business would be if more senior managers got buzzed at lunch and laid low in the afternoons. In 34 years in the corporate workforce, I have observed much mischief careerism and gamesmanship that would have been beneficially blunted by laying low for half a day. Less management is better management, from what I have observed.
A proof for this theory: How much worse could their decisions have been? And at least, wouldn't they have had an excuse?

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
Indeed, this has been my experience as well. Productivity skyrockets too.

John in Covina said:
I have noted at many businesses that when the boss or bosses are away on a business trip or for vacation, the whole company, for those days, tend to run a lot smoother.

Being a boss, I am all too ready to contribute to productivity!:eusa_clap

Actually, today being friday, I met friends and it was Manhattans straight up.

what with all the colds going around I thought it to be medicinal.

And yes we must stand in awe of the great generation - -their knack for survival and tolerance of stress and pain was awesom - maybe the martini's were part of the recipe!

filfoster

One Too Many
two martini lunch

Nash Buckingham said:

And yes we must stand in awe of the great generation - -their knack for survival and tolerance of stress and pain was awesom - maybe the martini's were part of the recipe!

You must be an entrepenuer-owner, certainly an exception. Managers at big corporations are more prone to toxic careerism that creates so much unnecessary harm.

filfoster

One Too Many
two martini lunch

Nash Buckingham said:

You must be an entrepenuer-owner, certainly an exception. Managers at big corporations are more prone to toxic careerism that creates so much unnecessary harm. Perhaps the banking industry here in the Midwest harbors a climate that spawns so many middle senior managers who are benighted catamites.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran