Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The underappreciated Homburg wants attention for Christmas.

MattJH

One Too Many
I was watching the original version of Miracle On 34th Street the other night and spent most of the movie seeing it from a different light than normal -- I was fedora-watching. They were everywhere. Bashes upon brims upon grossgrains upon felts, as far as the camera could see.

And then Kris Kringle (Edmund Gwenn) strolls onto the screen looking like this:

kriskringle.jpg

And it was, you know... it looked exceptional. The Homburg made the Santa. I've never seen one in person so I don't know how I'd look in one, and it seems the type of hat that only works on certain sorts of folk. But this picture is a blueprint, for me, of the perfect match.

Amongst all of the fedoras, the Homburg shone. A merry Christmas to them!

RBH

Bartender
You will get like me.. my wife now ask if I'm watching the 'hat channel' lol [TCM]

Yes that is a great look with the 'hommer'. I just dont think I could pull it off.
Of course back in the day, wearing such hats was common.
The Homberg gave a perception of elegance and class.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My son put "It's A Wonderful Life" on yesterday and my first comment was, Jimmy Stewart has a great hat in this picture. He laughed. It seemed a perfectly natural remark to me. :eek: Best still I could find of him in the hat from the film:
WonderfulGeorgeClose.jpg

dean

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Santa would definitely wear a homburg if he wore a hat besides his red one that is.

The Homburg often shows up in the movies we know on older more distinguised folks. One reason is it is ano older style. Another might be that it balances the jols of older guys. THis is the advice you would read today.

In the teens and twenties, it is not strictly oldeer folks. But these days a young guy will usually not be able to pull it off unless a specific vintage look is desired. Mid range age, it is just the person and the face.

Of course, if you are african american, al bets are off. They can often sport just about anything and pull it off with style.

Feraud

Bartender
Golden Era bankers and lawyers frequently sported a homburg. It seemed the professionals choice of headwear.
I think the homburg was more "everyday man" in the Victorian era.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
Golden Era bankers and lawyers frequently sported a homburg. It seemed the professionals choice of headwear.
I think the homburg was more "everyday man" in the Victorian era.

Just saw The Illusionist last night. Good film, lots of Homburgs. NOt sure how accurate, but ool.

One thing I find interesting is in the 30s and 40s films, often older guys, especially distinguished gentlemen, and bankers and such, would sometimes wear ascots, cut aways, waist coats and such, but not at formal events where morning formal wear would be appropriate, or other unusual attire such as waistcoats with a suit. HOmburs would fit here. I mean not a typical suit and tie. Is this becuse they were older, or because they belong to a class of people that dresses a little different than most. Or a combination of both. Does anyone else know what I am talking about? Think the father of the girl that is the object of affection, or the uptight banker who gets burned in the end by the good guy.

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Homburgs are great! They just generally require a little more gravitas. Although, Jeremy Brent made them look pretty good in the Mystery Sherlock Holmes series.
Sam Neil made them look downright dashing in Reilly: Ace of Spies.
If memory serves, didn't Sean Connery wear a homburg in Dr. No?

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
And don't forget, a Homburg is very appropriate and sharp with a tuxedo, excuse me, dinner suit.

While a black fedora is acceptable, I love the Homburg look.

Of course I love the white fedora with white tie and tails in Singing in the rain.

Anyone here ever wear bowlers?

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I just got my Adam homburg. It looks pretty good. It's my first one, but I don't think it'll be the last.

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
reetpleat said:
...Of course, if you are african american, al bets are off. They can often sport just about anything and pull it off with style.
I have regularly seen black men here in northeast Portland wearing homburgs, even with casual attire, and making them look mighty fine.

rick54

New in Town
If you're doing some hat watching on the various Christmas programs, you might get the chance to see The Shop Around the Corner, starring Jimmy Stewart and Margaret Sullavan, a 1940 production.
You'll see the Homburg, Fedora and derby, along with some good hat etiquette.
If you're into period suits and topcoats, the movie is also a good reference for those items also.

Feraud

Bartender
The only drawback to a homburg is it is hard to "dress down" with it. They do not go with much else than a suit and tie.
A fedora can be worn with a suit, sportsjacket and pants, or leather jacket.
Now that I think about it, a fedora is the perfect hat. :)

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I beg to differ Feraud. I wear a homburg with just about anything.
DSCN4255.jpg
[/IMG]

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou