Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Untouchables - Prequel (New)

Empyrium

One of the Regulars
Page Link

Although the rumor had been lingering around for over a year now, Brian De Palma will officially begin production on a prequel to The Untouchables (Dear God, why?) this June. The Untouchables: Capone Rising will be based off a script written by Brian Koppelman and David Levien, the same duo who brought us films like Rounders, Knockaround Guys and the upcoming Ocean's Thirteen. I'm not sure why De Palma would even go near his own classic 20 years later -- I mean, is the guy struggling for material or what?

Story will revolve around Al Capone's early days on the mob scene, and how his rise to power was due, in part, to the seedy, corrupt side of law enforcement. Pic will also focus on Capone's relationship with detective Jimmy Malone (played by Sean Connery in De Palma's 1987 film), a dirty cop who vows to turn his life around after exposing himself to Capone's violent, illegal and dangerous behavior. If De Palma plans to start shooting this thing in June, a cast should be announced fairly soon. Knowing De Palma, the flick will be packed with well-known names, and since Capone Rising will forever live in the shadows of its predecessor, it's definitely going to need some top-notch talent. This, finally, leads me to the big question: Who should play Al Capone and Jimmy Malone? Is De Niro too old to reprise the Capone role? I'll tell you one guy I'd like to see involved in either part -- Clive Owen. Tell me he's not perfect for this kind of material.

Nicholas Cage was invited to this movie but it seens he refused to play Al Capone movies.

Empyrium

One of the Regulars
Oh it says Cage is confirmed as Capone.
Cage is a very good actor but his appearance doesnt ressembles Capone as De Niro did.
Anyway im sure that Cage will do his work well.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Nic Cage.
+
Gerard "Screamy" Butler
+
Brian DePalma.
=
Barf.

Untouchables just isn't all that good.

up196

A-List Customer
Already done?

Wasn't this story already done as one of the Young Indiana Jones Chronicles?

Twitch

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Having watched the Untouchables as a kid along with most of the gangster era movies made than and later I'll be up for this one I think.:)

HANSOLOJONES

New in Town
This is a cool Idea. I think there is one actor to do Capone justice. James Gandolfini. As for a Young Sean Connery, I haven't a clue.

High Regards,
HSJ.

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
Whoever they find to play Capone will have to be a youngster, especially since Capone appears to be younger than Malone in the first film. An unknown intense actor with the presence of DeNero would work well for Capone. I presume this will take place in the late 10's early 20's prior to Prohibition going into it. I suppose we'll have to wait & see.

Cheers!

Dan

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antonio925