Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Untouchables TV show

Heater

Familiar Face
We know that the TV show is pretty heavily fictionalized. How do you rate the cloths, guns, cars, sets and language? I've seen some obivious plastic Thompsons (episode "Ma Barker and her Boys") and a few other mistakes. What do you think?

In most instances the criminal slang is spot on. It was a B&W Tv show and I don't think they had a big budget. Many of the suits seem to be historically correct from what I have seen but I haven't watched a lot.

For me the use of Walter Winchel as the narrator makes the series really jump at times.

tecolote

New in Town
The show runs every weeknight on MeTV. Almost every guntoter,good or bad, packs a Colt Official Police in a Nelson shoulder holster(the Colts are post WW2 models). Like the Colts, most of the women's hair styles are anachronistic. Ness goes after everybody,even Ma Barker.
But I still like it so I watch it most nights, and catch Peter Gunn afterwards...

Regards,

Tecolote

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
I'm just so glad I watch these shows for entertainment value rather than pick over every detail. Robert Stack LOOKs how Eliot Ness should look, even though visually Nevill Brand does not really look like Capone, he looks mean, just how a gangster should look. Great entertainment.
Sorry i'm not the sort to check out the details in these shows, authenticating the uniforms and equipment in 'F'Troop would give me a real headache.:D

Hobart Arms

New in Town
I try to watch it as often as I can on MeTv. Sunday night noir is always pretty good on that channel. I think it does a pretty great job of recreating the era. Everyonce and a while I see things that don't look period correct (hats or how their pants fit) but the people who made that show were around in the 30s so they have a better idea of the styles than I do. It's alright in my book.

DNO

One Too Many
Aren't I feeling old. Always watched The Untouchables when I was growing up. Not, unfortunately, in reruns. F-Troop, too. Loved them both...as well as Get Smart, Man from Uncle, Riverboat, The Rifleman (the list is lengthy).

filfoster

One Too Many
The clothes seem pretty good and why not? The original styles were only 30 years old, not that hard to find or copy.
Let me recommend the DVD sets as a way to time travel to a wonderful era of TV drama that's a little cheesy by today's standards but a lot of fun to watch.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Oops. Ya done it now, DNO. You mentioned "The Man from U.N.C.L.E."!

I dimly remember "Untouchables," with Walter Winchell's nasal, machine-gun narration, being in reruns just after its initial network run. I've caught a few episodes here and there, including one with my man Robert Vaughn. Love to see more.

Vaughn was in practically everything in the late '50s and early '60s: "Untouchables," "Rifleman," "87th Precinct," "Asphalt Jungle," and "Mike Hammer," usually playing criminals or weak younger sons. The U.N.C.L.E. era was his leading man phase. After that he played villains and (often unlikeable) bureaucrats and politicians -- he's played at least four U.S. presidents (both Roosevelts, Truman, and Wilson).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner